2009 DTM Season

• Wido Rossen

( SPOILER ) result hockeheim

Mattias Ekström started the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters 2008 in a dominating fashion for Audi. The Swede took the start from make-colleauge Timo Scheider, who held pole position, and lead the race from start to finish. Scheider and Tom Kristensen made it an Audi 1-2-3.
"It has been a really good weekend for us from the first lap until now," said Ekström.

"We were confident of a good result in the race here and we got a good clean race with two very good pit stops. You always want a good start to the season and I'm very happy with 10 points, it's simply amazing."

The ABT Audi-team made two lightning fast pitstops for Ekström which both took no longer than three seconds each.

Scheider was really close to Ekström during several stages of the race but was never close enough to get past. Tom Kristensen made his way from fifth on the grid, passing Paul di Resta and Bruno Spengler on his way up.

Spengler became best Mercedes-driver in fourth when di Resta got in to pit stop trouble. On the Brits second pitstop something went wrong and the team halted di Resta right after he was on the way out. A wheel nut on the rear tyre was not fastened and due to that delay di Resta dropped to 13th.

Martin Tomczyk rounded out top five after making his way up from seventh on the grid. The German had a hard fight with Spengler during the last couple of laps. But coming in to the hairpin Tomczyk braked too late and almost took Spengler with him as he went wide.

DTM-newcomer Ralf Schumacher finished 14th, 49.8 seconds behind the winner.

result1.jpg

result2.jpg

( source Touringcar times and DTM.com )

I've watched the races and i can only conclude that it will be an extremely difficult season for Mercedes :)

Still missing Volkswagen, BMW and Opel! Rather dull series with only two brands present.

• Wido Rossen

New brandt in the DTM?

Big bosses of the Citroen factory have been at the openings race at Hockenheim.
Speculation is going around now that Citroen is planning to enter the DTM for 2009.
All this will come together with the release of the new Citroen C5 in Germany.
The spaculators said that this will give Citroen the publicity that they need to sell the car in Germany.
The people from Citroen hat several meetings during the weekend with the ITR ( they organize the DTM championship ).

( Source Motorsport Aktuell )

• Wido Rossen

Villeneuve to DTM ??

Jacques Villeneuve could be the latest formula one refugee to switch to the premier German touring car series, DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft).

The 1997 world champion would follow in the footsteps of Ralf Schumacher, and before him Mika Hakkinen, Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Jean Alesi, as high profile former F1 drivers on the DTM grid.

According to reports in Germany, French-Canadian Villeneuve's DTM foray could begin as Schumacher's did - with a Mercedes-Benz test. The 37-year-old may have conducted early talks with Mercedes Competition Director Norbert Haug on his recent visit to the F1 paddock in Bahrain, where he raced in the Speedcar series.

Villeneuve said at the time that he was still hoping to revive his NASCAR career, which stalled recently due to sponsor shortages.

He also plans to contest Le Mans later this year with Peugeot, as he did in 2007.

DTM series boss Hans-Werner told Bild newspaper: "He would certainly be a great addition to our series.

"If a well-known driver like Villeneuve is available, we should strive to get him," he added.

Haug said: "I could imagine him having a test drive."

Source: GMM

• shenken

So that means Villeneuve did suck with the american stockcar series. :D

I only saw him once racing in the last year Nextel CUP but I guess the competition is to high for him! I for him hope that he has more success in the DTM then.

• Wido Rossen

i saw him last weekend in the speedcar serie`s.
He completed 2 laps and than whas gone.
I always hat great admaration for him ( his guts or stupidety if you wanna call it where tipical ).
But like Bram said, it would be a great asset for the serie`s.

• shenken

he didnt get enough funding for NASCAR

Now that´s a shame really. Because I was looking forward to see him regulary in the NASCAR series besides of JP Montoya. Well I always liked Villeneuve so I wish him Good Luck in the DTM. Will be cool to have more former F1 drivers there as it will increase the overall interest in the DTM series as well :)

• Wido Rossen

Albers qualifys 14th at EuroSpeedway Lausitz

Christijan Albers (Audi A4 DTM #21): "It'll probably be very difficult at the EuroSpeedway. I wasn't particularly successful there in 2003 and 2004. But now I'm driving an Audi! I was flying towards the end of the race at Mugello. I hope that things continue as they are. My motto is maximum attack!"

10.jpg

20.jpg

• Wido Rossen

Lower car weights for older cars

The cars in DTM from 2007 and 2006 will have a lower basic weight for the rest of the season.
This was decided by the DTM commision after the manufacturers requested the weight reduction.
With this they hope the one and two year old cars will become more competitive.
The basic weight for the 2006 cars will now be 1020 kg, the basic weight for the 2007 will be 1030 kg.

Another change that has been made by the commision is the length of the pit window.
Instead of 33% of the race, this now has a length of 50% of the race.
A strange decision by the commision, as the idea of the pit window was to make sure the old cars good not be used to get in the way of the opponents new cars after a pitstop.
By increasing the lenght of the pit window, the chances of this happening again are growing.

And with the zandvoort race in sight ( 13 July ) this can give Aalbers some more topspeed.

( source Touringcar Times )

• Wido Rossen

2009 DTM calendar revealed

The 2009 Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters calendar has been revealed.
The calendar features eleven races in six different European countries. Germany, Italy, France, England, Spain and the Netherlands are on the calendar.
“The co-operation with all the circuits has been excellent, therefore, it goes without saying that we are going to return to the venues that have been staging DTM rounds in 2008,” said ITR chairman Hans Werner Aufrecht.
“Continuity represented the top priority for us while planning the new season, consequently, we want to keep on supporting the successful development of every race on the calendar.”

The season will as usual start and end at Hockenheim. Other than a couple of date changes there are no major news compared to the calendar of this year.

The rounds at Mugello, Brands Hatch and Le Mans are still provisional as the DTM organisation still are working on an agreement with the track organisers.

DTM 2009 Calendar

26. April Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg (D)
03. May Autodromo Internazionale del Mugello (I)**
17. May EuroSpeedway Lausitz (D)
05. July Norisring (D)
19. July Oschersleben (D)
02. August Circuit Park Zandvoort (NL)
16. August Nürburgring (D)
30. August Brands Hatch (GB)**
20. September Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona (E)
04. October Le Mans (F)**
25. October Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg (D)

* Provisional calendar - subject to the approval by DMSB and FIA
** Subject to contractual agreement with the organiser

• Wido Rossen

I dont know Bram, that would be nice if it is....
i`ll try to find out and keep the post updated.

• Wido Rossen

Coulthard To DTM With Audi And Red Bull

David Coulthard next year could become the latest formula one driver to switch into Germany's premier touring car category.

Mere days ago at the Hockenheim test, the 37-year-old Scot insisted that, following his decision to retire from formula one, he has no plans to keep racing elsewhere in 2009 or beyond.
But he has repeatedly also made clear he is not hanging up his helmet.

"I have had no conversations with anyone about racing anything next year.

"The only reason I said I haven't hung up my helmet is because in six months or one year, if there is an opportunity to race something that I think could be interesting, then everybody will say he is coming out of retirement," Coulthard told reporters.

According to the German portal Focus, however, the DTM competitor Audi may be interested in occupying Coulthard in 2009, with Red Bull providing a sponsorship link.

• Wido Rossen

Coulthard= Grandad he ought to hang up his boots

Or his helmet....

No just kidding.
I think David still has some good racing ahead of him.
And the DTM could be a good option.
I think there will be some drivers leaving next year.
Rumours goes also that Albers will be driving a works Audi next year.

Who knows...whe will wait and see.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back