2009 A1GP

• Wido Rossen

Staff work for free at ailing A1GP

Forty staff at motor racing series A1GP's operational arm, which has offices at Silverstone race circuit, are currently working without pay, following news the British-based day-to-day operations side of the business has gone into liquidation.
A1 Grand Prix Operations Ltd was issued with a compulsory court order winding up the business on June 24, following petitions from suppliers who had not been paid.

The company's assets have been frozen, meaning staff are currently working without ADVERTISEMENTpay preparing for the start of the new series on October 22, and there are suggestions the courts may be poised to appoint an administrator for the company, a subsidiary of British Virgin Islands-based A1 Holdings.

Often promoted as the World Cup of Motorsport, A1GP sees drivers from more than 20 nations driving for their countries rather than as individuals or part of a team.

Held during the Formula One off season, drivers compete in equal cars, without financial or technological advantage.

The latest news seems to confirm rumours the series, which was started in 2004 by Sheikh Maktoum Hasher Al Maktoum, is struggling to make it to its 2009/2010 campaign.

While the series is trumpeting a possible expansion to 12 rounds next season, it failed to complete four of the 11 events it had planned in season four and several teams did not appear as expected. Series spokeswoman Ann Bradshaw said they had "absolute confidence" the series would not be affected and were hoping to raise the money to pay staff and suppliers "in the very near future".

She said: "Like anyone at the moment, we have cashflow problems.
"We are owed money and our suppliers are owed money. We are hoping to get the money in the very near future to be able to pay our creditors.
"Every member of staff is still working to make sure series five is up and running and we have absolute confidence it will be.

"We are currently working on restructuring the whole series and are looking to reduce costs, as many motor racing series are. We have total belief we can sort out the problems the operations company has and be on the grid for series five."

• Wido Rossen

Preparations for the Nitro SuperGP event are moving along with the event to be officially launched for next week at the Southport Surf Club.

Joining the celebrations for the official launch is A1GP boss Tony Teixeira.
With Tony there will be a A1GP car powered by the Ferrari engine.
Tony said that the fans will get a taste of whats to come in October.

So Tony is still confident that A1GP will survive and by sending a A1GP car he is making that statement.
After all, sending a car to the other side of the world costs money, money that some people say isnt there anymore.....

• Wido Rossen

Nope, all cars go back to the organization after the season.
The cars are not owned by the teams.

I just watched a huge promotional launch for the Surfers Paradise event on TV a day or so ago, and this included lots of Queensland government heavy weights and A1GP officials promoting this event.
So if it is in financial strife, they are sure wasting a lot more money promoting it.
This promotion certainly didn't give the impression that it was in trouble or doubt.

• Wido Rossen

A1GP testday Down under.

A1GP World Cup of Motorsport has confirmed they will complete their traditional testing at local permanent circuit Queensland Raceway -- on Monday the 19th of October, ahead of the Nikon SuperGP.

The A1GP teams will shakedown their cars with a one-day test around the 3.12 kilometre Queensland Raceway circuit, in the build up to the four day October 22-25 Nikon SuperGP on the streets of Surfers Paradise.

The news means that the celebration of motorsport in South East Queensland will enjoy an early injection of speed, while the local economy will benefit from having the 20 nations of the series on our soil even earlier.

Nikon SuperGP General Manager Greg Hooton said he couldn't wait to see A1GP on Australian soil.

"With A1GP unveiling their cars for the first time this season at Queensland Raceway, the motorsport celebration for South East Queensland will kick off even earlier," said Hooton.

"It is great news to see A1GP heading Down Under even earlier than expected, to test out their cars before they take to the streets of Surfers Paradise for the first time on Thursday October 22."

A1GP Chairman Tony Teixeira said he was delighted the cars were going to be testing in Australia prior to the event.

"We always have a pre-season test and this year have decided on doing it in situ rather than before they leave the UK," said Teixeira.

"Our operations team felt this was the way to go and so it was great to find a perfect circuit so close to Surfers. This means our cars will do even more miles on Australian turf. With us now on the 50 day countdown the excitement is mounting for this landmark event for our series."

Yesterday the event unveiled its new naming rights sponsor for 2009, Nikon, who were part of the event in 2008 and are a world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology.

The 2009 Nikon SuperGP will host Event 11 of the V8 Supercars Championship Series and the first round of the 2009/10 A1GP World Cup of Motorsport.

• Wido Rossen

Great to see those cars back on track.
What it will bring is uncertain do.
So far there are just 2 race officially announced.
Australia and at Assen.

Hope there Will be more soon.

• Wido Rossen

A1GP World Cup of Motorsport has announced its Season Five calendar and a long term deal with IMG Sports Media to market its worldwide media rights for the next three seasons.

The deal with IMG Sports Media will represent all media rights for the live events and highlights packages. This news for the series was greeted enthusiastically by A1GP Chairman, Tony Teixeira, who said: “I have always had a long wish list of deals we wanted to make our series one of the most well known on the sporting calendar. A deal such as this was at the top of it, and to be associated with IMG Sports Media is just what we needed to ensure we have the best possible representation in this highly competitive market. The plans they have for us are exciting and innovative.”

Adam Kelly, Marketing Director, IMG Sports Media said: “We are delighted to be representing A1GP within the IMG Sports Media portfolio. IMG hope to bring the A1GP Powered by Ferrari cars, fans and viewers closer to the action of this truly global sport – a very attractive property for broadcasters worldwide. In such a challenging world of motorsport, IMG will utilise its experience in this field and unrivalled network of global contacts to bring A1GP to a wider audience than ever before.”

The nine event Season Five calendar, subject to FIA approval, includes four new race meetings in Australia, Brazil, Germany and The Netherlands. It also has three that have been on an A1GP calendar once before, in China, South Africa and Portugal, and one twice before, in Mexico.

Meanwhile the series has raced in Malaysia in all four seasons to date. Teixeira’s comments on this were: “It is easy to put out a calendar too soon and then have to make changes. I wanted to make sure we avoided that and so give our broadcasters, teams and fans something realistic. I also wanted to make sure the racing was good and varied. I am confident this calendar, that may still include at least one more event, will achieve our criteria for the series.”

The season kicks off in five weeks with the Nikon Super GP in Surfers Paradise on the Australian Gold Coast.

2009/2010

25 oktober 2009 Australië
15 november 2009 China
6 december 2009 Maleisië
28 februari 2010 Zuid-Afrika
14 maart 2010 Brazilië
21 maart 2010 Mexico
11 april 2010 Portugal
2 mei 2010 Duitsland
16 mei 2010 Nederland

I think I'll go to Assen as it's close for me..

The Assen circuit will get a chicane before Ramshoek. The chicane will be placed next to the circuit, so the circuit won't change for MotoGP etc.

• Wido Rossen

i`ll definitely will be in Assen as i live close to.
Love to see them in action at Assen.

A1GP long-term funding secured

Friday, September 25, 2009

A1GP World Cup of Motorsport will be starting Season Five in just over a month with the Nikon SuperGP on 22 to 25 October and a financial restructuring has been put in place to secure its long term future.

A1GP Chairman, Tony Teixeira, has outlined his plans for the series having secured the full financial package necessary to see it grow over the next three to four years.

“I wanted to announce this re-financing a long time ago, but the reason it has taken longer than I planned was the size of the package.

"I could see no reason to look for a one year deal, it had to be for at least three to four years until such a time as the series is independent. This way we can make sure everyone involved in the series has the necessary security and the series is totally creditable.”

Teixeira is also working closely with his major partners and suppliers to ensure their continued support.

“I shall be meeting all of them personally in the next couple of days. I want them to understand this is a series that is here to stay on the motorsport scene, and they need to know their involvement is with a series that is going from strength to strength.”

The way Teixeira sees the series now is as starting with a totally clean sheet with a re-structuring that has no outstanding issues that can hold back its growth: “We have always put on a fantastic show and this is only going to get better.”

However, he was also realistic about the adverse publicity that the series has received, and was quick to reassure all those involved that many of the stories were very wide of the mark.

“I have seen all the stories written over the past few weeks doubting the future of the series, and these are not new to me as I have seen them at the start of every one of our four seasons. These are not things I like to read and I feel frustrated that I cannot always come out and explain exactly what we are doing, but, as you know, we have always delivered every season and race we have committed to,” he said.

The series has recently announced a new deal with IMG Sports Media to market its worldwide media rights for the next three years and also the Season Five calendar. Teixeira is now working on further deals, and in the coming weeks the grid for the race in Surfers Paradise will be announced after final deals have been put in place.
The one outstanding issue that will be dealt with soon is the liquidation of A1 Grand Prix Operations Limited, that was a subsidiary of A1 Holdings Ltd. Administration for this company has now been applied for and this will be heard on the 6th October.

Teixeira’s message to all of the company’s creditors was: “Our intention is to settle all our outstanding creditors prior to the administration hearing, and would like to thank them for their patience and support.

“We at A1GP have been so lucky to have such loyal support from all our stake holders - management and staff, race promoters, team owners, partners, suppliers, TV rights holders, sponsors and last but not least our fans”.
A1GP News

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 117 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 86 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 60 6.6%
  • < 5 years