2008 World Touring Car Championship

• Renaud de Munck

Does anyone know why they got rid of the all-new version (at the time) 2007 Alfa?

The Alfa 156 was an old car designed back in 2000 which was constantly updated. Alfa commited themself until 2007 season and then decided not to re-enter in 2008.

A shame because the new 159 would be a nice car to see on the track

• Renaud de Munck

A shame, indeed. I hope WTCC won't fall into forgetfulness with the years like the BTCC.
Do you remember the nineties, with TOCA an TOCA 2, greatest funniest racing I've ever seen.

Teams at work inCuritiba

There are works in progress at the Curitiba racetrack in Brazil ahead of the season-opening round of the FIA World Touring Car Championship this weekend.

The WTCC teams have unpacked the containers and regained possession of racing cars, spare parts and equipment that was shipped to the country at the end of January.
In the next two days the team will work hard to prepare the garages and the cars for the first race of 2008 at the circuit.
The track action will start on Friday with a 30-minute test session at 3.00 pm local time (7.00 pm Central European Time).

(source: fiawtcc)

BMW are ready for the 2008 WTCC premiere

BMW are getting ready for the World Touring Car Championship premiere in Brazil this weekend. The five official BMW-drivers are reigning Andy Priaulx, Augusto Farfus, Jörg Müller Alessandro Zanardi and Félix Porteiro. Here we present comments regarding the premiere from all drivers including BMW Motorsport Director Mario Thiessen.

wtcc07121701.jpg

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen:
“Last year we came through in a very dramatic finale, taking both World Touring Car Championship titles for the third time in a row. I am convinced that this season will be no less exciting. Our goal is clear: At the end of the final race, we want to top both the Drivers’ and Manufacturers’ Championships. In 2007, we laid the foundation for this with a strong performance in Curibita. We should also be competitive there this year.”

Andy Priaulx (BMW Team UK):
“The start of a new season is always exciting, but there is always that feeling of apprehension. You ask yourself if you have done all the work you needed to do over the winter, and also wonder what the opposition has been up to. I know that we have done all the work and there is nothing I can do about the opposition, except try to beat them on the track. It is fun going to Curitiba as the fans there are so enthusiastic. I appreciate that Augusto is their favourite, but they still give the rest of us a warm welcome. Obviously the other teams want to beat the World Champion, but I start every year with a clean sheet and feel that I am under the same pressure as everyone else.”

priaulx_porteiro_brands_bmw_wtcc_07.jpg

Augusto Farfus (BMW Team Germany):
“I am very motivated for the start of the season, for many reasons. On the one hand, I got married last weekend. On the other hand, I come from Curitiba. To appear in front of a home crowd is always very special. This could be the most exciting season of my career. In my first year for BMW, I was in the fight for the title right to the end. Now I am aiming even higher.”

Jörg Müller (BMW Team Germany):
“The preparations for this year have been a little shorter than in 2007. We have carried out fewer tests, as the races in Curitiba are very early this year. I am, however, convinced that we are excellently prepared. Brazil was a good event for us last year, and I was able to take pole position and victory in race one. We have the necessary material and a strong enough team to be challenging for the top positions again this year. However, you never know quite how strong the opposition really is. Thanks to Augusto’s wedding, we arrived in Brazil very early this year, so we are well acclimatised.”

augustofarfus_andypriaulx_bmw_wtcc_pau_2007.jpg

Alessandro Zanardi (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
“It is never easy to say exactly where you stand in the build up to the first race. Therefore, the two races in Curitiba form a very important yardstick. In 2006 my third place put me on the podium and in 2007 I picked up points in both races, so you could say that the circuit suits me. It should be considerably hotter in Brazil than it was during our test sessions. Furthermore, the track surface in Curitiba is very different to European circuits. All this means we can expect a very exciting weekend.”

Félix Porteiro (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
“I made my BMW WTCC debut in Curitiba in 2007. At that time, everything was new to me, but I still managed to claim fourth position on the grid. That gives me confidence that I can perform well again this year in Brazil. Last year I didn’t manage to pick up any points. This time I want to improve and get the season off to a successful start. The experience I gained last season should stand me in good stead for 2008. I feel at one with the car, and I’m full of confidence.”

(source: TouringCarTimes)

• Wido Rossen

I`m wondering how long they will ride with that exhaust like that.
If a smart driver has his eyes set on those pipes he can go for it to push them to close and put them out of the race.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back