2008 British Touring Car Championship

WSR/ Team RAC have had to scrap the idea of doing WTCC at Monza and Macau as they can't raise the sponsorship for it. Instead they are looking at taking all 3 of their BMWs to the ETC Cup.

• Wido Rossen

BMW 120d in BTCC

Just as SEAT announce that there will be no diesel engines for competitors in the BTCC. The BMW 120d at AFM Racing was seen on track.
Both Team AFM drivers Rick Kerry and Nick Leason continued their testing with a full day test at Silverstone last Friday as they prepare for a full race programme in the 2009 HIQ British Touring Car Championship.

Potential sponsors and guests were treated to an insight and behind the scenes day of how an independent BTCC team works.

btcc08100801.jpg

With dry sunny but cold weather, the team's test programme went to plan, putting in some valuble miles,until the inlet manifold split.

Kerry said, " This unfortunately reduced our power output but did not stop the day for us. It was just a small set back on the day but we are happy with the results so far. We still have a few modifications to do that we know will improve our pace even further. Hopefully these can be done with the required resources and budget in the next few weeks."

The car has seen many changes since it was last raced in the 2007 BTCC, including a new Quaife Sequential gearbox, suspension tweaks and inproved electronics

Nick Leason who also drove the car added " It was a shame we were hampered slightly on the day but it's important that we just keep moving forward and do as much testing as possible over the next few months.

"Other systems and set up work responded well, giving us much needed data to compare with the 2008 BTCC data we have. Every time we test we make improvements which is what we want. This is a great opportunity which the whole team is very excited about and fully committed to. Testing is important to us now and getting the mileage and confidence for both of us.

"The 2009 BTCC will be an exciting year for us which we are looking forward to."

But they said all this for the 2008 season! And it never happend, so im not sure if there just sayin this.Also it wont be quick for 1 its a man who trys to do to much at once.
I.E: Running a 1 series which has never been used before and a diesel which is hard for a Manufacture team to develop let alone someone doing it on a VERY Limited budget.Its just never gonna happen for them.

• Wido Rossen

BTCC 2009

All news regarding the 2009 season in here please.

Ricardo van der Ende tested for RAC BMW

Former single-seater ace Ricardo van der Ende was today given a run in Team RAC’s BMW 320si at Brands Hatch as part of the 2008 title-winning Independent squad's winter testing programme.
The 29-year-old Dutchman joined regular drivers Colin Turkington and Stephen Jelley – and reportedly lapped inside the latter’s pole position time set in qualifying for last month’s final HiQ MSA British Touring Car Championship rounds.
Team principal Dick Bennetts said van der Ende, who won the Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch in 1999, could find his way into Team RAC’s 2009 BTCC line-up.
Bennetts, whose WSR outfit runs the Team RAC cars, told BTCC.net: “Today’s test came about through Ricardo's manager who also looks after Duncan Huisman who we ran in Macau’s world touring car finale last year. Duncan had spoken very highly of us.

Read more at BTCC.net

Adam impresses in second run test with BMW

Motorbase team boss David Bartrum has offered Jonathan Adam a second run in his squad’s BMW 320si after the youngster impressed mightily in his maiden run in the car at Brands Hatch today.
Adam, the reigning SEAT Cupra champion – and before that the Renault Clio Cup title-winner – completed 85 laps at the Kent circuit this afternoon. His ambition is to be on the HiQ MSA British Touring Car Championship grid in 2009.

Read more at BTCC.net

• Wido Rossen

Jason Plato back in the BTCC ?

According to our information Volvo could be on their way back to the British Touring Car Championship with none less than Jason Plato. Our information suggests that the BTCC-organisation could be involved in the plans two get two Volvo C30 bio-ethanol-cars with a, so far unconfirmed, team for the two coming BTCC-seasons.

Rumors have surfaced earlier that a pair of Volvo C30 S2000-cars, build by the Swedish Touring Car Championship Volvo-team Polestar Racing, could make their way to the BTCC.

But if the eventual BTCC-program will be supported by Volvo UK remains to be seen. The current financial situation has hit hard on car manufacturers and especially Volvo. The Ford-owned, previously Swedish, manufacturer has been forced to cut down on a lot of areas due to decreasing sales.

Although, the money does not necessarily have to come from Volvo. According to our sources the BTCC-organisation and a, yet unknown, large sponsor could put in the necessary money for the car(s) and Plato.

Plato was left without a drive when SEAT announced their retirement after the BTCC 2008 season.

"I’m of course sad that SEAT has stepped down, mostly because I thought I had another two years on my contract and I’ve got a bloody big mortgage to pay!" said Plato to BTCC.net.

Stay tuned for more information!

• Chris Noble

Yeah you do need drivers with character in championships as it makes it a lot more interesting to watch.

You have to miss Montoya in F1 nowadays as he was quite a character along with Shumacher.

Ever since the announcement of SEAT leaving the BTCC, there has generally been an upbeat feel reading various interviews that there will be at least 1 more manufacturer next year.

I think that outside of BMW and Honda - Volvo is probably the most likely to happen, seeing as Polestar already race 2 of them in Sweden so they already have a base to start on.

Depending on what you read on the Internet, there are still rumours of Ford returning next year with Arena Motorsport, but personally I'd rather see the Volvos. John Cleland said when he was doing the Brands Hatch WTCC commentary that he would love to see the C30 racing in the UK and it would be great if the Volvo dealer network got behind the idea, so I wonder if he could somehow be involved in this, seeing as he is a Volvo dealer anyway.

Would love to see Volvo and Plato back :). I know Matt Neal hates him but the series is richer with him there, I bet Alan Gow is pulling all kinds of strings lol.

Yes but then alot of people dont like him but then matt neal thinks its alright to take people out, but when he gets hit he crys!i dont like him BUT i HOPE Matt Jackson gets a works drive! He truelly deserves it with his perfromances last season!

Id like to see the volvos becasue it adds that bitmore Variety into the championship,but me and my dad think next year could be a bad season for motorsport with Privateers as of the Financial crisis!

jacksons great but i don't see enough manufacturers in the series to give him a works drive.

plato - i'm not the biggest fan of his but wouldn't like to see him missing in 2009.

neal - just another plato in a different guise imo. drives aggressive and not too keen to have it done to him. was suprised when he joined vxr (even more so with onslow-cole joining too)

It would be good to see him racing over here again. He is another FF star would should have gone to bigger success in single seaters, but did not have the money to progress.

His brother Jacky is possibly even better, He also won the FF Festival, in 1997. I don't think Ford ever gave him the Formula One test that was part of the prize for winning the Festival that year.

• tippyjon57

jacksons great but i don't see enough manufacturers in the series to give him a works drive.

plato - i'm not the biggest fan of his but wouldn't like to see him missing in 2009.

neal - just another plato in a different guise imo. drives aggressive and not too keen to have it done to him. was suprised when he joined vxr (even more so with onslow-cole joining too)

If BMW come into it with works cars Jackson has to be first choice, he was just totally awesome in 2008. Plato in any car would be good as he carries a good budget so would always be a front runner and he brings a lot to the series. if Volvo come back would that bring Rydell as Platos running buddy, I think the 2 of them would put on a great show. Neal is NOTHING like Plato...he is conceited...big headed...talentless and a big bully...takes others off and cries when he gets tapped, we can do without Matt Neal in my opinion.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%