WIP 2000 Mazda RX-7 Type RZ

hmm...there are some things...not so superb....
stw lock/lock 250°?
missing entries in the car.ini gives a fallback to default ini....the ffb kills my wheel^^
Limiter at ~179 km/h?
diff entries x2?
use friction in diff section instead reduced torque...nicer way...

Yes, the speedo and tacho are a little "stretched" (?) some times the interior gets a verry bright shine...

the rest looks good!

THX for!

regards
Alex

hmm...there are some things...not so superb....
stw lock/lock 250°?
missing entries in the car.ini gives a fallback to default ini....the ffb kills my wheel^^
Limiter at ~179 km/h?
diff entries x2?
use friction in diff section instead reduced torque...nicer way...

Yes, the speedo and tacho are a little "stretched" (?) some times the interior gets a verry bright shine...
Hey, thanks for the feedback. I haven't played with the steering wheel lock or diff entries so I don't know what the right settings are on those (2nd set of diff info got rid of QLOG errors, so far as I know it just ignores one). Also don't have an FF wheel so I can't test that myself. The limiter's part of the stock vehicle, you can take it off by the script (in car folder scripts/)

Speedo and tach show up circular at any resolution I tried, maybe your racer.ini has resolution.aspect at something other than 1?

I get the random bright shines too, I'm not at all sure what's causing it. Seems to be related to using the live envmap, and the random bright flashes auto-exposure has.

Wow a sudden burst of activity on the forum. :)
I must have missed the discussion where the fresnel values for glass were decided. Oh well, I'm not THAT far off anyway. The material shader should be set to reflect=1 since the fresnel parameters just modulate to that value as a max value.
While we're on the subject, I would like some real lighting values for ambient/diffuse/specular
for a few materials. I've been reworking the lighting and have gotten rid of the glowing materials in shadow and some other odd behavior but I need some real values to tune the lighting engine to. I also found an error in the motion-blur calcs that appears to have fixed some strange problems we were having, wheels are still a problem with one of the schemes however. I've been looking at an algorithm that would work for wheels though. The other problem that's been making me crazy is getting rid of the specular in shadow for bump mapped materials such as tires, but I haven't given up.

The taillights...
taillights.jpg

The lighting changes...
beachmorning.jpg

Is anyone else getting tired of the pop-up about the tires! I wouldn't mind but you can't turn the stupid thing off. :thumbsdown: The floating car problem shouldn't be impossible to fix either, all forces should logically work toward zero energy (except for y-axis) as motion decreases, OK camber would also give some static force but at 0 motion does it matter?

Alex Forbin

Hi Alex,

Hmmm, it's always busy around here, but usually it's tending to be off-topic weirdness where good discussion often happens.

I can't remember what thread we were talking about fresnel, but iirc it was me and Stereo and a few others at the time, specifically on his Simca, but not in the Simca thread :D

As per values, I've tended to just use real values from what people in arch-vis and the like are using.

In 3DS Max for instance many materials now run off real IOR, or use the same fresnel coefficients we do in Racer... they also tend to have properly balanced texture values (both gamma'd or linear), and just generally lots of good hard fast rules for what is realistic or isn't.

Ie, blackest black is probably near 0.02% rgb in linear space (which is what Racer uses in it's diffuse/ambient value inputs, only the texture itself is gamma'd or linearised)
That means a black swatch colour in PS for example, actually needs to be linearised to get the appropriate colour for Racer, IF you use a white swatch and then colourise with the amb/diff values.

If you don't do that, then you end up with colours that look too bright and washed out.

Obviously if you use a proper texture with colour in it, and run it in gamma space (ie, non-linear), then you don't need to worry about that.

I often think about wheels too for blurring, but it seems all the main developers still just use blur models for the best effect.
Thinking back to the Carrera GT that was made for Racer then they can look great... it's just taking the time to make all the shaders work right I guess.

I've found in many cases, setting the tyre motion blur to 0, but having the alloy blur, somehow contains the blur better. But ideally a proper wheel blur model is the best solution still. Unless of course someone can make a good blur shader that can do wheels nicely :D

As per tyres, mine work fine here in that regard.

I'm using this:

vf_bump_speca
{
vertex_shader
{
file=dyn_standard_bump_v.cg
}
fragment_shader
{
file=dyn_standard_bump_f.cg
}
}

shader_tyre~vf_bump_speca
{
cast_shadow=1
motion_blur=0
compression=0
specular=0.4 0.4 0.45
shininess=12
tangents=1
layer0
{
map=texture\tyre.tga
}
layer1
{
map=texture\tyre_norm.dds
mode=linear
mipmap_lod_bias=0
}
}

Obviously I'm using a bump map here too, but mine work fine... If you force all the car body shaders to cast_shadow=1 does it still show highlights in the shaded area?

Dave

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I haven't played with the steering wheel lock or diff entries so I don't know what the right settings are on those (2nd set of diff info got rid of QLOG errors, so far as I know it just ignores one). Also don't have an FF wheel so I can't test that myself. The limiter's part of the stock vehicle, you can take it off by the script (in car folder scripts/)

Speedo and tach show up circular at any resolution I tried, maybe your racer.ini has resolution.aspect at something other than 1?

I get the random bright shines too, I'm not at all sure what's causing it. Seems to be related to using the live envmap, and the random bright flashes auto-exposure has.
Hi Stereo,
no, i use the racer.ini from Ruud and aspect is 1...but i have a pic...explains more tham 1000 words^^
22680717-d4b.jpg

to compare a pic i found....

Mazda-RX7_1999_1280x960_wallpaper_0d.jpg

Alex

Edit:
ok, after some changes he feels realy great! THX Alex for the lock info, works well...
here is a pic with the "flickering"...

22683289-61b.jpg

Hum stereo your speedlimiter script inspirated me to do an cruise control :)
I did it lastnight :p
About the car, please do a more detailled interior , also when you see alex's pic i see that your mirror don't have the same shape as the real

Great work. I dont think it needs a new interior, Maybe just a new texture will suffice. It will save poor stereo having to Re-model the entire interior.

It was only a Refresh to get the car working in the latest Beta. I think that alone deserves a pat on the back rather than criticism :)

I was not able to find a overall ratio for the steering but 2.5 turns lock to lock would be close.
steering lock try around 55
Bit of a look online suggests 15:1 with 2.9 turns lock to lock (1044 degrees), which comes out to 70 degrees (current setting in ini)? 35ft. turning circle is how it usually seems to be described, I don't have on-hand any tracks where that would be easy to measure. The best estimate I can figure is that 70 degrees lock gets it gets it done in around 9.5-10m, which is maybe 3-5 feet too narrow. If you just wanted to cut the numbers down for a 900 degree wheel, it'd be 60 degrees steering lock, but have a wider turning circle.

That picture of the interior seems to be done with at least the front seats, maybe more removed - hard to even replicate the angle and FOV in Racer. So it's hard for me to do a direct comparison. I suspect the mirrors are angled down too much, but overall outline is not as bad as it looks.

Yep, those camera angles are hard to replicate.

What they probably have is a tilt-shift effect, or even probably a cropped down image, so technically the focal point is off-centre, something we can't do in Racer at all, or many game engines perhaps?

Wing mirrors pointing down is probably just distortion due to them being at the sides and lower down in the view...

That steering lock might be ok Stereo, remember that ackerman and scrub will influence turning circle too.

Is there any way you can get an owner to take some photos of their car at full lock from each side, you can start to get a really good figure at these extremes of what the lock, ackerman and kpi/caster are... not great, but ball-park figures are ok unless you have exact data!

Dave

Hello all,
Stereo, i only put the pic to compare the speedo and tacho looking....not the rest of the car! It's ok as it is for me!
Please look at the red cirkle i made in the racer pic, that is what i meant with "stretched"....sorry my english is not better to explain...

Alex

Bit of a look online suggests 15:1 with 2.9 turns lock to lock (1044 degrees), which comes out to 70 degrees (current setting in ini)? 35ft. turning circle is how it usually seems to be described, I don't have on-hand any tracks where that would be easy to measure. The best estimate I can figure is that 70 degrees lock gets it gets it done in around 9.5-10m, which is maybe 3-5 feet too narrow. If you just wanted to cut the numbers down for a 900 degree wheel, it'd be 60 degrees steering lock, but have a wider turning circle.

That picture of the interior seems to be done with at least the front seats, maybe more removed - hard to even replicate the angle and FOV in Racer. So it's hard for me to do a direct comparison. I suspect the mirrors are angled down too much, but overall outline is not as bad as it looks.
to calkulate the "virtual in game wheel lock/lock" i found a formula, can't remember where i found it...

this is from the Caterham for example:

Code:
    lock=694.8
    linearity=1.25
      ; 1.93 turns lock to lock (0.965*(1/(real wheel lock=694,8°/pc wheel lock=900°)); 0,965*(1/0,772)=1,25

...hope it helps...

Hello all,
Stereo, i only put the pic to compare the speedo and tacho looking....not the rest of the car! It's ok as it is for me!
Please look at the red cirkle i made in the racer pic, that is what i meant with "stretched"....sorry my english is not better to explain...

Alex
Yeah the tachometer and speedometer are gonna be retextured, I don't know where the dials it's using came from, but I'll work something out so it doesn't stretch across the edges. I just need to find the right font.

I'll try to retexture the interior too, not sure how much I can improve it though.

hmm...some thing strange....all time i hit any object or some times a higher curb...i get a racer crash and this QLog...this is ONLY with the rx7....

Code:
OS-Version: 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1) 0x100-0x1

0x005A7145 f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\src\output.c (line 1643): _output_l()
0x0059DA0A f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\src\vsprintf.c (line 138): _vsprintf_l()
0x0059DA42 f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\src\vsprintf.c (line 175): vsprintf()
0x00408321 d:\source\trunk\dev\src\libs\qlib\qmessage.cpp (line 497): qwarnBase()
0x00444A2C d:\source\trunk\dev\src\libs\nlib\message.cpp (line 191): QNMessage::AddFloats()
0x00444AAC d:\source\trunk\dev\src\libs\nlib\message.cpp (line 215): QNMessage::AddFloat()
0x004C9D79 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\lib\rscriptmanager.cpp (line 205): RScriptManager::BuildVarStackPackage()
0x0048B8EB d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\lib\rmultiview.cpp (line 656): RMultiview::SendSharedVarStackListServer()
0x00404465 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\multiview.cpp (line 1062): MultiviewUpdateSlaves()
0x00402B4E d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\mrun.cpp (line 1606): rrIdleFuncGame()
0x00560131 d:\source\trunk\dev\src\libs\license\qapp.cpp (line 943): QApp::Run1()
0x00404010 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\mrun.cpp (line 2250): Run()
0x0040161F d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\main.cpp (line 271): main()
0x004016A3 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\main.cpp (line 278): WinMain()
0x0059D26B f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\src\crt0.c (line 263): __tmainCRTStartup()
0x76F633AA [KERNEL32]: (filename not available): BaseThreadInitThunk
0x77B79EF2 [ntdll]: (filename not available): RtlInitializeExceptionChain
0x77B79EC5 [ntdll]: (filename not available): RtlInitializeExceptionChain [%s]

....is there some one who can help me to understand what's the problem is?

THX

Alex

Looks like one of the scripts is crashing it, if anything. Probably the ABS, since the speed limiter is extremely simple... but I haven't had that happen, so I don't know. Where's a good wall to run into that reproduces the problem regularly?

Looks like one of the scripts is crashing it, if anything. Probably the ABS, since the speed limiter is extremely simple... but I haven't had that happen, so I don't know. Where's a good wall to run into that reproduces the problem regularly?
I've been tweaking the abs script so its better for AI cars, would only work for player car before.

Not sure which you are running but it should be more reliable, just had an AI car pair driving for 2hrs over bumps and hitting cones without issues!

Interestingly my throttle traction control script made the abs one not work only for AI!

Good old Racer hehe :)

ohhh i like the ABS Script....
hmm...try meshup or any equal with high kerbstones....

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 191 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.8%