2 separate DRS Zones at Monza!

Chris Jenkins

Driving til the wheels fall off
From Autosport:

At most venues this year there has been only one zone in which the overtaking device can be deployed during races, but in Montreal and Valencia two areas were set up.
At those events the two DRS zones were on consecutive straights, but with a single detection point allowing drivers to trigger their wing flap for both.
For Monza, DRS can be deployed both on the start/finish straight and between the second Lesmo and the Ascari chicane. The detection point for the first zone will be between the Lesmos, while for the pits straight the marker line will be on the exit of the Parabolica.

I think the race would be better with no DRS at all.
Its such low downforce at Monza that DRS could take away the challenge of wheel-to-wheel racing altogether!

Lame decision in my opinion.

The DRS worked fine at Spa, and it should be even better at Monza. What wheel-to-wheel are you talking about? If it wasn't for KERS, DRS, and the new tires, we would be watching procession racing like the last years. This formula has enabled cars to catch up and make a pass, instead of following the car in front all the way to the end. The best example is Alonso following Petrov at Abu Dhabi to a humiliating end.

I just think it'll be too easy in Monza that's all.
As a whole, I like DRS and KERS, but Monza is such a fast track anyway that I think DRS will make it a bit too easy. As it was in Canada and Turkey.
Especially with 2 separate zones.

I have no problem with it since it has 2 long straights.
DRS system are on all cars this year and is part of F1 and has been enabled in all the races so far. get over it or write the FIA or Bernie about DRS since they really care much about at the moment.

Hold on upstart!
I'll have any opinion I like without you telling me to 'get over it' thank you!

In my opinion, it'll make overtaking too easy having it on two parts of the track.

Monza hasn't really been a big overtaking track to be honest though, despite the straights, tyre wear is quite low as well so there isn't much to depend on to make overtaking happen, although i do think the DRS zones are excessive, but then again they barely run any wing at monza anyway, the top speeds should be interesting though.

Look at it on the other side:
Vettel gets past Hamilton down to Parabolica, Hamilton then gets past Vettel again. Meanwhile there have been 10 different positions changes, all on two straights. :wink:

2 DRS zones at Monza will be great, everybody will be overtaking and there will be loads of action, i have to say this looks very good for Mercedes, at Spa they were evidently faster down each straight and at Monza it will be important.

All in all this is going to be a fantastic race with 2 DRS zones, i love DRS personally it makes alot of racing.

Hold on upstart!
I'll have any opinion I like without you telling me to 'get over it' thank you!

In my opinion, it'll make overtaking too easy having it on two parts of the track.
Hold on too man. I udnerstandis ur opinion and ur entitled to it. BUT look just at last years Monza GP. it was a bit boring except at the start, change of tyres and the Vettel engine issue. thats it. I rarely saw any overtaking. This year so far the fact that we have hi-degrading top performance tyres and KERS and DRS, has enabled us to see more action in the field than last year. even if we have to watch that damn index finger every other weekend. Im sure they will review DRS zones and modify or take any feedback from previews races and add that to the 2012 track rules.

Want more overtaking ?

Bring down most of the downforce, problem solved and we will be able to see power-slides like in the days... Unfortunately we can't get rid of the paddles though... But with that take out DRS, keep KERS (as long as it's not too powerful) and it should be a bit better...

I'd rather see barely no overtakes than stupid artificial ones to be honest...

Only one thing will allow more overtaking while make it less artificial, and thats freeing up the rules and engine freezing, the reason overtaking used to happen back in the day was due to open regs and big differences between each car, wither it be power downforce or the lot.

Since that will never happen, sadly this is probably the best your going to get.

Chill everyone, you guys have to think, as Monza is already a very low downforce track, which means the DRS won't give you as much as an higher top speed as in the other tracks. (less drag to get rid off), the Kers system will have a more of an impact than usual.
As for the two DRS zones, I would prefer that they just kepted it to one, because two seems a bit too much for me.

Sadly indeed... For those who don't understand, big problems with downforce are:

1. If you follow someone, you loose a big part of the downforce since you get no air, so the guy in front goes faster around corners, thus you can't pass...

2. You are less in risk of doing slight mistakes because you barely fight with the car, it's glued to the road... (Just watch footages from the 80's and look how much they are making corrections with the wheel)

Other problems can be attributed to the paddle shifters... You can't miss a gear anymore, you don't have to heel and toe so there's no more finesse in changing gears, so less mistakes to do...

Tracks don't penalize enough today so you can do things you wouldn't do before in fear of getting stuck in a sandtrap or simply crashing, one less mistake to do again (As you only loose minimal time getting off-track today the guy behind can't really catch you)

And I think they rely to much on the engineers also while in the race...

William, as much as u dont like paddles u have to accept they are there for a reason. Im not an F1 technical expert here, but im sure it has to do with innovation and techonolgy upgrades and also safety. Drivers have to rely on engineers this days, especialy with all teh settings and track info, etc. I mean...u want as much as info as possible in order to deliver right? We all wanna go back to the 80's era, the Prost era, the Senna era, the Mika era...but its time to move on. DRS and KERS are there and there is nothig wrng with 2 DRS zones...since 90% of it are 2 long straights. Plus there are gonna be there for a reason....not to bore the spectators....unlike last year which I only enjoyed the pit lane tyre change and the podium. Thats it. After that both had to tune up their engines to keep up with JB, i mean thats the only thing they had in their bag. At the end of the day DRS and Kers are there and unless u run the FIA u cant unfortunately change the regs or drs zones. live with it.

Well they where going to implement ground effects so they could lower downforce via the wings but I think some teams complained about the cost of development for the ground effect.

I doubt we'll ever get consensus on this one. Personally I belong to the loathe-DRS-with-a-passion group. Every time I see a DRS pass my interest in watching F1 drops by 0.1%. So no, I don't have to "get over it"; another year of this and I might well be gone. It's a pity the Le Mans series doesn't get the same coverage, or I'd probably dump F1 in favour of LMS. I'd certainly be interested in switching to any high-tech racing alternatives.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 249 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 165 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 122 7.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 229 13.9%