• Race hard. Race fair.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 F1 cars...paddle or H shifter?

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Booth.the.doberman, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Booth.the.doberman

Booth.the.doberman

Ratings:
    +27
    I'm setting up a 1991 F1 offline solo series using the ASR cars (Ferrari, McLaren, Williams and Benetton...can't wait for the Jordan). I have all the tracks except Phoenix, so I've substituted Road America for that. I've created a set of drivers and am progressing through making skins for each. I'm almost ready to start the season. But it occurred to me...did the 1991s use H or paddle? I've tried searching to find the answer and it appears Ayrton Senna ran the McLaren with an H in 1991 (possibly the last year for it in that car). But I'm not entirely sure. I randomly drew the McLaren as my car and I've reskinned it with logos from my world (e.g. Sun Microsystems, Blanton's Bourbon, #69, etc.). I prefer the H even though it slows me down significantly. I know I can do whatever I want, but I'd like to try out being historical. So....H or paddle for the 1991 McLaren?

2. D.Stephens

D.Stephens

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Booth.the.doberman

Booth.the.doberman

Ratings:
    +27
    I eventually found a cockpit photo of the McLaren that showed the shifter. A lot of the "official" historical F1 sites talked a lot about the sequential trials that year but weren't definitive on what was actually used. It was here, if anyone is interested. http://mclaren-soul.tumblr.com/

4. Tobias Röhner

Tobias Röhner
    Tony Binelli Premium

Ratings:
    +1,405
    Ferrari had been using sequentials gearboxes since 1989 and Williams introduced the paddleshift in 1991. But if you want the full-on sim, you need to flip a coin on whether your gearbox will break halfway through the race.

5. Booth.the.doberman

Booth.the.doberman

Ratings:
    +27
    You're right about tossing the coin. Just look at the number of drivers who left the race with gearbox problems in 1991 at Phoenix alone. http://www.statsf1.com/en/1991/etats-unis/classement.aspx .