Cars 1970 Mustang

I have been quietly working on this for quite some time and it is about time I present my work to the community.
hOABgji.png

The mod is 90% done with just some tinkering and optimizations left.
bkYEhDm.png

Enormous thanks to A3DR without whom this would be nothing more than some eye candy.
w1NvSTG.png

Sounds are placeholder and will remain so unless someone would like to volunteer ;)
Gwfrb4v.png

At the moment I am focused on the Mach 1 with either the 351C or the 428CJ engines. There may be another surprise.
nlbeIjr.png

3D modeling is a hobby of mine, there is no real schedule, but any news will be released here in relation to this vehicle.

For those interested in a few pictures from the progress of modeling over the last year.
https://imgur.com/a/3yefo

Note:
Due to some limitations of Assetto Corsa *cough* http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/live-axle-lateral-damping.47653/ *cough* the axle will experience intense oscillations if sufficient lateral impact occurs(like hitting some curbs while drifting) This is correct in the fact that the axles lateral spring rate is calculated appropriately, though without the dampening you will get some vibration both in the axle and occasionally in cockpit view.

Credits:
3D Modeller, Physics, Textures - Joshua Widder
Import, Textures, Advice - Alberto Daniel Russo @A3DR

Out of curiousity, even though its the 1971 model in the article, did you make use of the aerodynamic data from October 1970 Sports Car Graphic?

In case you don't have it:
front lift: 320 lbs front lift @ 100 mph
rear lift: 0 lbs rear lift @ 100 mph
drag: 340 lbs @ 100 mph (includes tire drag)

No, the 1971 is a complete redesign of the body so not confident on its aero application to the 1970 model, and those items that need polish, that is one of them, aerodynamics are a trouble to find good reference data.

Ha, all I had to do was search a little bit more in my database, LOL... Sports Car Graphic, October 1969.

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Front lift 350 lbs @ 100 mph
Rear lift 75 lbs @ 100 mph
Drag 340 lbs @ 100 mph (includes tire drag)

Hmm, something about the wheel/tires just looks funny to me. Not sure if it's the sidewall shape or overall radius but there just seems to be too much tire.

eg. this challenger has the same wheel/tire setup and there's just visually less tire and more rim.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/272592/filename/DSC_3458.JPG

If I understand tire code right, F60-15 is 225mm wide tread, 135mm sidewall, and 380mm bead diameter. So the actual measurements would be a ~400mm lip on the wheel and 125mm of visible sidewall.

@Stereo You know what happened? The mach 1 has 14 inch wheels, yet I used the Magnum 500 wheels and thus the F60-15 tires that accompanied them (as most people swapped to them and they look far better) yet retained the 14 inch wheel diameter. So yes you are correct, I will look into getting that fixed, great eye and thank you for that catch.
@Ryno917 Yes, I hope to have a download as soon as the cockpit_LR is finished up and a few more edits and tweaks made(like said wheel/tire discrepancy).

Try a 2000 VW Beetle... 332 lbs front lift @ 124 mph & 411 lbs rear lift @ 124 mph! It's definitely an outlier, though.

Jelly mould shape never good for aero. See also mk 1 Audi TT, which combined healthy lift values with high sensitivity to body pitch so the balance of the car changed enormously under hard accel or hard braking.

Anyway, we're OT aren't we...

I'm not really a Mustang guy (see avatar) but if there is any old mustang to do it is this one. Looks great and can't wait to fight the bad Mustang handling ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back