1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

19.00GMT - TC65 Mini Cooper @ Sprints - Tuesday 19th May, 2009

Discussion in 'GT Legends' started by Stuart Thomson, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Thomson

Stuart Thomson
    The Stoat Without Fear ™ Premium Member

[​IMG]

Servername: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
    Class: TC65 Mini Cooper Sprints
    Track: Birmingham Short / Lakeside / Virginia South / Castle Combe Chicaned / Knutstorp
    Conditions: 16.00 In-game Race Time
    Practice: 19.00GMT / 20.00 UK / 21.00 Europe - 15 mins
    Qualification: 19.15 GMT / 20.15 UK / 21.15 Europe - 5 mins
    Race: 19.20 GMT / 20.20 UK / 21.20 Europe - 10 laps
    Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
    Note2: Default skins only

2. Stuart Thomson

Stuart Thomson

Entrylist:
    1. Stuart Thomson
    2. Bert Van Waes
    3. Knut Omdal Tveito
    4. Matt Crouch
    5. Bob Luneski
    6. Amir Margalit
    7. Driver
    8. Driver
    9. Driver
    10. Driver
    11. Driver
    12. Driver
    13. Driver
    14. Driver
    15. Driver
    16. Driver
    17. Driver
    18. Driver
    19. Driver
    20. Driver
    21. Driver
    22. Driver
    23. Driver
    24. Driver
    25. Driver
    26. Driver
    27. Driver
    28. Driver
    29. Driver
    30. Driver

3. Stuart Thomson

Stuart Thomson

Event edited after last night's success with more, shorter events.

Let's see how we go on this one.

4. Verr noice.
    5 tracks in one night, something for everyone!
    Too bad it's a midweeker though. Same old excuse for me Stu..
    Bloody work!!

5. Stuart Thomson

Stuart Thomson

Once we get onto the Cortina as COTM, I'll make one of the weekend events a sprint night :good:

6. Most excellent! :)

7. Stuart Thomson

Stuart Thomson

That means I'll do an enduro event on the Thursday where there's no League race to keep the balance.

8. The changes sound good Stuart.

Sign me up for this mini battle of the ages!:skywalker:

9. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

Sounds like you had lots of fun with the short sprints. Sign me up:)

10. I'll join if you don't mind. Should have GTL up and running by then :)

11. It's my birthday this day and after lots of umming and aahhing, my friends have decided they are free that night so I will be out for this. Sign me out.

12. phew. If Ryan's out I'm safe to sign up :)

13. :shocked:

14. lol, congrats on the birthday mate:wink2:

15. Just ordered GTL and it should be delivered tomorrow.

This will be my first GTL event since I've never played it before. Any tips? I've heard that the addon tracks are installed the same way as in Race07. True???

16. Yep, same file structure pretty much :)

17. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

Bob, the best tip I can give is to be very patient with the learning curve. Most of these cars handle differently and require some time to tune into them. The high powered cars can be very tricky to control, so be prepared to have fun with lots of oversteering spins and understeering too. This game is more about car control than racecraft, so I reccommend you to pick the more basic cars to learn first (off-line practice is best). The best cars to learn first are the Cortina and Alfa (and the Mini for FWD), before you tackle the over-powered beasts.
    It may be frustrating at first, but if you perservere and get used to it, the driving can be very rewarding and on-line races can be very funny if everyone has the right attitude. :)

18. Stuart Thomson

Stuart Thomson

Yup - +1 to what Warren said.

The Mini's the only FWD car in the game, and it's a hoot, but the whole crux of GTL - irrespective of the vehicle involved - is not about shaving tenths here and there to get a good time, it's about being in control of the car to be able to race.

It's also about mutual respect on the track, which in turn leads to fun events, because it's not about muscling past, it's not about being last of the late brakers, it's not about cutting the track for that last tenth.

The attitude Warren mentions is everything in GTL, and thus far, it has been an exemplary department to be in charge of for me. Adjust your expectations to enjoying the process of throwing these old classics around, rather than the result, and I think you will enjoy yourself.

19. pc fixed so sign me up pls:)

20. Bob, being one of the newer members of this "Gentlemen's Racing Club" I can only back up what has be said by Warren and Stuart. I got my copy of GTL early in the year and it's only now that I'm starting to feel comfortable racing with these cars. They are totally different to GTRe and Race07 cars., especially coming down the lower end of the gear box. Just try crashing through the gears approaching a corner hoping for a bit of engine braking and I'll guarantee you'll end up arse first in a barrier.

Ok, I don't drive GTL 1 tenth of the time I spend driving Evo, but it is well worth taking a little bit of time getting used to the cars. They are all so diverse in handling, it may seem a little overwhelming at first, but the guys in the GTL club are more than helpful with setup advise and driving tips.

As Stuart said above, it really isn't about winning, it's about having a good time, and here in the GTL club we do :good:

A couple of newbie tips that helped me with these old cars.

1. If the back keeps coming round under braking Decrease the Coast a click

2. If coasting round a corner, off the throtle, and the rear starts drifting round Increase the Power a click.

I know Warren said to avoid the more powerful cars first off, but I recommend every newcommer takes a GT40 or Pantera around LeMans and pretend your Steve McQueen :laugh2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.