17 Year Old Set To Be Youngest F1 Driver

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff

A 17-year-old Russian is set to become the youngest driver ever to line up on a Formula One grid.

Sauber today announced the signing of Sergey Sirotkin and say they hope to have the teenager racing for them as early as next season.

Sirotkin will be 18 come the first race of next season, but if the Swiss team’s plan to fast-track their new signing into grand-prix action works out he would become the youngest F1 driver in history, surpassing Spaniard Jaime Alguersuari, who raced for Toro Rosso as a 19-year-old in 2009.

The youngster’s arrival has secured investment from Russian companies for the financially-stricken Sauber.

Russia is scheduled to host its first grand prix in Sochi in 2014, and a Sauber statement read and as reported by AutoSport: ‘The partnership includes further activities for the promotion of the inaugural Formula 1 Grand Prix in Sochi in 2014 and attracting the talented young Russian generation towards motorsport. In particular, a development programme will be set up for the Russian driver Sergey Sirotkin to prepare him as a racing driver for the team in 2014.’

Sirotkin currently races in the Formula Renault 3.5 series, a competition in which he lies eighth in the driver standings

Of Sauber’s current driving line-up, German Nico Hulkenberg had already been expected to move on next season, however, Mexican Esteban Gutierrez’s future is less clear.

Images Twicsy
View the Post on the Blog

I think this is very bad for F1, too much danger not for lifes but for the sport in general.

F1 has a lot of history. A lot of drivers and legends among them raced for victories and titles for glory. They all had the balls to push and the talent to do that on highest level. Danger was all around yeah, so they were mature people, mature drivers, 30 years perhaps when started racing? Talking about times of Fangio. Its very normal that as years pass by that, those boundaries will be lower and lower, in terms of youngest drivers. We saw many in the last 3 years to drive with only 19 years. By then, when i had 19, i was only able to drive my 75hp Corsa while someone else is controling a monster, and what else is more important, destroys the picture of F1. F1 isnt considered as the BEST 24 drivers on the planet? Of course there are legends out of F1, like Loeb who is i assume better than half of the legends list in F1, but my point is, if people with only 17y are entering in F1 and racing in near future, lets say on 18 years. How can be they titles as "one of the best drivers in the world"

Its bad for F1, i hope you got my point.

ps. i forgot to include money issue ... sponsors etc

I get that Sauber are in desperate need of money, but this could possibly be the worst decision they've made in a Looooooong time.
Can't see them scoring any points next year.

He may have a wallet fatter than an elephant, but i cant help but think that 18 years of age is just too young. He'll get annihilated.

Far too young & inexperienced. If he made the frid on talent alone I'd say fair enough, but getting in for financial reason... Not good for him, other drivers or the sport in general

I don't have a problem with his age as much as I do that he's only 8th in the Formula Renault 3.5 standings. I can understand if maybe he was at least in the top 2, but to take literally a kid, who can't even break the top five and throw them into an F1 car? I hope Sauber is at least getting paid well.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back