F1 2012 11/1 Wing setttings and No oversteer

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
I've dialed in the setup of the Williams in career mode on full oversteer, the car still produces tons of understeer.
Even a setting of 11 for the front wing and 1 for the rear wing , I cannot get the car to clip the apex at certain turns. It's really annoying.

Also , for some reason I'm usually purple in sector 1 of every track ( usually up by 1 sec over the AI in Legend difficulty ) and then I lose tons of time in sector 2,3. This is prevalent even if increase drag and put the rear wing settings to 7,8 to negate the top speed effect I have over the AI.

There are corners where I'm just understeering off and even if I manage to clip the apex , the AI is ridiculously fast around there. For example Turn 13 in Melbourne , Turn 7,8 in Sepang . Turn 11 and 14 in Sakhir.

And there are certain turns like Turn 1 in Shanghai and and turn 1 in Sepang where the AI is ridiculously slow.

I dont know if Steam has downloaded the patches but the file version I have is 1.3.3.0

Any ideas ?

thanks

Even using a setup like this:
Wings F11 - R1
Suspension Height 1-11
Stiffness 1-11
ARB Rear 11
I still don't have oversteer. Worst of it, the car is still stable to drive. Because of the rear glued to the track, it feels like the F1 in this game is an AWD car, or a F1 completely underpowered. Take the last corner on Melbourne for example, as long as you don't open the DRS too soon and your tyres are not dirt, then you can just apply full throttle and you'll not lose the car rear with any setup. I noticed that you lose the car rear only if something is not right, like opening the DRS too soon, driving with dirt tyres, cold tyres, too much throttle on the wet. But doing it right on the racing line the rear is very stable. Also, as you said about the inertia, i used to apply the throttle to give me more oversteer and correct the car nose on corners, but on F1 2012 i can't do this, if i apply the throttle (even full power) the rear is not loose, so i'll just go straigh :(

First of all I want to say sorry if I make mistakes because I am writing from a phone.

Now, lately I am having some in real life problems and I am driving with a lot less concentration and more aggressively and I am even having some oversteer problems. The rear end is not glued and I have 1 friend who needs to play with 7/4 wings or something like that. On Bahrain I had to use 2/1 wings. And mind that I like oversteer! So you're probably doing something wrong. :)

First of all I want to say sorry if I make mistakes because I am writing from a phone.

Now, lately I am having some in real life problems and I am driving with a lot less concentration and more aggressively and I am even having some oversteer problems. The rear end is not glued and I have 1 friend who needs to play with 7/4 wings or something like that. On Bahrain I had to use 2/1 wings. And mind that I like oversteer! So you're probably doing something wrong. :)
Sorry to hear that Kristian.

I "sometimes" lose the car rear when im playing online on a league due to the tension maybe. But still it is hard. Maybe i haven't choosen the right words to explain what i mean. I know you can get rid of the understeer in the game, but what i really feel is that there is a lack of power when you use the throttle. Lets say you stop the car on the track and wants to do a 180 spin. In a real open wheeler or on a simulator you can do it easily and the car stays almost at the same spot, this doesn't happen in F1 2012. So i really feel like the car rear is glued to the track. To lose the rear, besides the problems i said before, theres some particular corners on the game that can make you lose the car rear if you use the throttle, but on most corners this doesn't happen. Since you talked about Bahrein, its one of the tracks that have the "spin" corner. I guess its T4, the corner to the right after the second long straight, there the track level goes up a bit so you can spin since you car "slides" on the turn in, but for the other corners i hardly pay attention to the throttle.
Don't know if you'll be able to see it now since you are on the phone, but later if you can, watch the video below. Its something that its impossible to do in F1 2012, due to that glued rear (or its a 30bhp F1:roflmao:)

Sorry to hear that Kristian.

I "sometimes" lose the car rear when im playing online on a league due to the tension maybe. But still it is hard. Maybe i haven't choosen the right words to explain what i mean. I know you can get rid of the understeer in the game, but what i really feel is that there is a lack of power when you use the throttle. Lets say you stop the car on the track and wants to do a 180 spin. In a real open wheeler or on a simulator you can do it easily and the car stays almost at the same spot, this doesn't happen in F1 2012. So i really feel like the car rear is glued to the track. To lose the rear, besides the problems i said before, theres some particular corners on the game that can make you lose the car rear if you use the throttle, but on most corners this doesn't happen. Since you talked about Bahrein, its one of the tracks that have the "spin" corner. I guess its T4, the corner to the right after the second long straight, there the track level goes up a bit so you can spin since you car "slides" on the turn in, but for the other corners i hardly pay attention to the throttle.
Don't know if you'll be able to see it now since you are on the phone, but later if you can, watch the video below. Its something that its impossible to do in F1 2012, due to that glued rear (or its a 30bhp F1:roflmao:)

Well, now the way you describe it - I'm starting to think about it and you're kinda right. They've lowered the wheel spin grip by a LOT and now when your wheels spin - you're dead. But they've made it almost impossible to actually spin the wheels. So only bumps that rev your engine to the top can spin your wheels. Yeah. Well, it is unrealistic, but it's better than last year's game. It was a plus for me, but it was stupid. Now it is better. Maybe if someone's got the time to do it - it's probably moddable.

Well, now the way you describe it - I'm starting to think about it and you're kinda right. They've lowered the wheel spin grip by a LOT and now when your wheels spin - you're dead. But they've made it almost impossible to actually spin the wheels. So only bumps that rev your engine to the top can spin your wheels. Yeah. Well, it is unrealistic, but it's better than last year's game. It was a plus for me, but it was stupid. Now it is better. Maybe if someone's got the time to do it - it's probably moddable.
I totally agree about that on the handling F1 2011 vs 2012. ;) But i really miss the "power" of the F1 when i use full throttle in F1 2012. While the handling is much better, they've added too much grip to the rear so as you said, almost impossible to spin the wheels.
Happly there's a mod. A user on CM forums posted it, he said he is working on a mod to fix this problem, i just hope he can do it :D
Here's a video of the "modded" handling:

I totally agree about that on the handling F1 2011 vs 2012. ;) But i really miss the "power" of the F1 when i use full throttle in F1 2012. While the handling is much better, they've added too much grip to the rear so as you said, almost impossible to spin the wheels.
Happly there's a mod. A user on CM forums posted it, he said he is working on a mod to fix this problem, i just hope he can do it :D

That's kinda overdone to be honest, but it looks good.

Yeah, happly i can agree. But at least after looking at almost all XML files i believe the only one capable of changing the handling its the surface_materials. The others don't have parameters for handling, unless the AI car handling also affects the player car, then its another story :)

You can change lots of things to your car but I don't think it'd handle that way. If it did, rear end would overtake him on the braking, like it was sometimes doing on 2011 if you try to take the corner with too much speed. :D

You can change lots of things to your car but I don't think it'd handle that way. If it did, rear end would overtake him on the braking, like it was sometimes doing on 2011 if you try to take the corner with too much speed. :D
Yeah! I really don't know which file he is modding, i just hope he can fix the handling :D
I really don't want that 2011 handling again, but some more power to the car will be nice.
I tried some changes but looks like they don't affect the player's car. Well, files within the ai folder should only affect the AI i suppose :roflmao:
Just spent my weekend trying to make the DNF cars stay on the track and i wasn't successful. Its all or nothing, they disappear too quickly on they stay on the track forever, and even if they stay the SC doesn't come out! :mad:

Looks weird to me. It is like a there is a point when both rear wheels lose 100% of grip instantly. He had all traction in the world on the exit and then suddendtly BLAM. I think it should not happen this way. It appears that all "lose rear" situations in the game work like a switch then certain things occur and game thinks "oh, it is the time for some fancy scripts". A lot of things in the game are scripted, like tyres - you can only drive a tyre that game thinks "proper" at the moment. You can't drive wet tyres for example when game thinks it is "intermediate" because there will be no grip at all. Weird.

Looks weird to me. It is like a there is a point when both rear wheels lose 100% of grip instantly. He had all traction in the world on the exit and then suddendtly BLAM. I think it should not happen this way. It appears that all "lose rear" situations in the game work like a switch then certain things occur and game thinks "oh, it is the time for some fancy scripts". A lot of things in the game are scripted, like tyres - you can only drive a tyre that game thinks "proper" at the moment. You can't drive wet tyres for example when game thinks it is "intermediate" because there will be no grip at all. Weird.
Hm... makes sense.
There's a lot of this "all or nothing" in this game. Maybe its impossible to find a middle ground. Well if that is the problem, then i guess thats why the guy haven't released the mod yet. :(

understeer sucks with low end midfield cars.

Understeer is gone with the Mclaren FErraris blah blah blah..

as OP said, I had the same freaking issue and wanted to punch and eat babies.

I do miss the 2011 handling tho, I love having oversteer, so much easier to snap and control, keeps you focused.

2012 isnt bad either, but the braking was so much better in 2011. I mean the breaking points are retarded in all 3 F1s so far, my car breaks a lot better in rea life :D

The Video remembers me about Bruno Senna when he was in HRT in 2010 Season
I agree with Kristian as it was too much.

understeer sucks with low end midfield cars.

Understeer is gone with the Mclaren FErraris blah blah blah..

as OP said, I had the same freaking issue and wanted to punch and eat babies.

I do miss the 2011 handling tho, I love having oversteer, so much easier to snap and control, keeps you focused.

2012 isnt bad either, but the braking was so much better in 2011. I mean the breaking points are retarded in all 3 F1s so far, my car breaks a lot better in rea life :D

You wanted to punch and eat babies? :roflmao:

The braking is actually much improved in 2012. You can brake just as late or later in 2012 if you do it right.

Anyway my opinion on this is that it feels like traction control is turned on, or at least what medium was last year and perhaps in effort to help pad users but sadly to the detriment to the game.That fact that you cant do a 180 spin from standing still helps this theory.

The Video remembers me about Bruno Senna when he was in HRT in 2010 Season
I agree with Kristian as it was too much.
But if makes the mod, maybe we can tweak it :p
I would like to have a more loose rear, the rear (default in F1 2012) makes me feel the car have no power. Also, decrease breaking distances would be very nice, but something realistic, nothing like F1 2011. Much stronger breaking power, and also much easir to lock the wheels ;)

But if makes the mod, maybe we can tweak it :p
I would like to have a more loose rear, the rear (default in F1 2012) makes me feel the car have no power. Also, decrease breaking distances would be very nice, but something realistic, nothing like F1 2011. Much stronger breaking power, and also much easir to lock the wheels ;)
Well '11 is a Different Story Even you break just at 50 M board or less you can still hit the Apex. In '12 I need to break at least by 100 M or Just less so that i can get the required speed.
But if the mod is released then we must adjust the Rear grip you can't just go like that for the race always trying to fight with traction on almost every corner. IF we can adjust the rear differently for every car then we can Make this kind of problems to slower cars and Make Faster cars struggle less.

This looks like driving in wet better than Original Version
But as Dimitry said the game is either All or zero things and the game will provide you grip on the tires which IT thinks was suitable.
I consider the JB Scenario was example on the First lap of that scenario i struggled to keep the car on track and when i was on Lap 2 then i had the Grip than any every other and i feel like i was driving on Dry than wet. If any one can found a Middle ground for this saturation's would be Great.

This looks like driving in wet better than Original Version
But as Dimitry said the game is either All or zero things and the game will provide you grip on the tires which IT thinks was suitable.
I consider the JB Scenario was example on the First lap of that scenario i struggled to keep the car on track and when i was on Lap 2 then i had the Grip than any every other and i feel like i was driving on Dry than wet. If any one can found a Middle ground for this saturation's would be Great.
Yeah, like that too. The problem is that. All or zero in the game. Probably fixing one thing may affect a lot of others, unless the game have some different parameters for a lot of specific actions, but i really doubt that.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 300 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 268 13.7%