1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

10 Years of F1 Challenge 99-02

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by RaceDepartment, Apr 23, 2013.

1. RaceDepartment

RaceDepartment
    Administrator Staff

View the Post on the Blog

• Love Love x 1
  2. Such an Interesting read. I Started sim racing in 2005 and never got round to trying this. Would it still be worth a look today?

3. Mickael Folcher

Mickael Folcher
    Qwack Qwack.

Good old days...
    Thanks for the great read.

4. Started with F1C 99-02 and i think it was the 2005 mod that was my first ever mod install to any game. 6 years later and i'm a modder myself (currently transferring to FPS games until rF2 and/or GTR3 is fully released) and i owe a TON of thanks to the original modders. The work they did back then has made the next gen modders job sooo much easier, without that headstart i doubt that we would've even dreamed to start doing it ourselves. I think i can extend that thanks in behalf of the whole BTB community.

5. SimBin now Slightly Mad Studios got there start modding the F1 series titles. Yes the software's design is amazing in the sense of how compatible it still is with modern hardware and operating systems. There was a sting of ISI based titles that used the same controller set where my only issue I have is mapping my sequential shifter on my clubsport wheel and resort to using my paddles to shift. Not too much of an inconvenience IMO.

6. Not letting me edit but is meant to be: "got their start" and later "There was a string of ISI based titles"

7. I only started simracing in 2010 but this was the first game that introduced me to it. I originally downloaded a demo with the 2005 mod and rushed out to buy a wheel the next day. Good read :)

8. Benedict Venturini

Benedict Venturini
    Benedict Venturini

i remember playing this game on the ps1 with my jordan f1 steering wheel haha

9. "I can hardly remember any game which is (nearly) 10 years old or older and is still in use in such a professional way as F1C is."

I just realised Richard Burns Rally is 10 years old next year

10. Really Loved playing F1C.

11. I think this is maybe best formula 1 game, that's my opinion. Lot of great mods, good gameplay and overall just really really good game. Still like the play this.

12. Boby Kim

Boby Kim
    There is no spoon... Premium Member

Still got it on CD and i still play 2002. Great, if not the best (sorry Jeff) F1 game i have ever raced.

13. I loved this game. And F1 2002 was even better :)

14. mystaaRS

mystaaRS
    If you get a Quali Place, you can get a Race Pace

I have F1 Challenge 1950-2013

I like F1 Challenge, plus it is the only game which has a mod for every season? Want to know how, ask me :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hi RD/All,
    I haven't logged in here for a very long time although I visit this great site for a read on the latest news/Forums every single day :)

Anyway, when I saw the subject I just had to comment as I am always a fan of anything designed by ISI (My current favourite Sim is of course Rfactor 2) and I also have great fun on Quick Races etc with SimRaceway (Based on ISI's Rfactor 1).

I also remember F1C with great fondness and I still have the original boxed CD too :) and I also own the boxed F1 2000/2001/2002 That said, I also seem to recall pretty rough and often savage AI back then lol which would rear end you without a second thought and often weren't very aware of you either (RF1 AI could be the same lol). I also remember my "PC" at that time wasn't quite "up to it" and I had to turn down a LOT of the GFX settings for it to run very smoothly!

I may be being a little picky here but I go back way further than the F1C era with computers and SCGT (Sports Car GT, released 1998 and also by ISI) which I also still have the boxed copy of, was the one that really got modding started in any BIG way in Race Sims/Games :) Anyone remember those days with modders like BassGuy etc etc? Anyway, great to see F1C still going quite strong 10 years on, and although I have been tempted to install it MANY times just to remember those days I haven't as yet. Maybe this great article will finally make me dust off the old box and remind myself what it was, and still is all about :)

Great Read and Regards from,

Andy :)

16. Did someone mention Richard burns rally? http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/forums/richard-burns-rally.137/

Come on and join us... If you have the skills!
    (Which I dont, even after trying for 10 years =0)

17. Hi,
    I was tired last night when I wrote my comment and not thinking straight lol. I just realised that even before SCGT, modding was already well underway in Viper Racing and a little after that NASCAR Heat!! I go back further (I'm 48 yrs old lol) and fondly remember IndyCar Racing etc. Anyone old enough here to remember the fun we had with Viper Racing and NASCAR Heat? NH had really good physics for the time and some great tracks/mods were made for it including one of the best (Euro Style) Truck mods I've ever driven Amazing engine sounds just like the Trucks (Artics) I used to drive in my real job. Only thing with NH was the physics were of course really designed for only turning LEFT :( lol so it wasn't perfect but still great fun!

Now, where did I put that copy of F1C........I feel a bit of nostalgia coming on :)

Regards,

Andy ;)

18. Omer Said

Omer Said
    Weresloth Staff Premium Member

Great read. Thank you very much. Brings back many great memories.

But on the other hand, as they were both released in the same time. Grand Prix 4 pwned this game down, and it also has a very active modding community :)

19. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium Member

This was my last F1 sim before picking up Race07. I had loved F1 but was glad to give it up.

I loved the garage mod's, allowing "extra" adjustments and a straight comaprison between cars. I really miss that feature.

20. The best f1 game ever for me, it's fun, realistic, has many options and you can mod a lot. Today it is possible to play all seasons except 1960, through F1 challenge VB, you wrote here it's leeching team, they are quite active, in May 2013 will come also 1960 and 2013 season, more info here:
    http://valpaso75.altervista.org/vb13_03_season_1962.html