1.3 AI issues

From the video description:

Assetto Corsa version 1.3 with Dreampack #1 and #2, fresh install, no 3rd party mods installed.

Opponent strength = 100%
Track surface = optimum

This is what I was able to observe/capture during 1 hour of gameplay with a handful of different car/track combinations.

00:03 – AI piling up before Eau Rouge for no apparent reason, AI not registering speed differences, AI not taking avoiding action, AI falling through the world.
00:22 – A lot of AI cars running on the grass instead of on the track, AI not registering walls/barriers and hitting them, AI not taking avoiding action to avoid hitting other slower cars, AI not able to brake after the car has broken down, AI falling through the world.
00:48 – AI rear ending other car, continues to race with the other car on top of it, the lifted AI is sent back to the pits and immediately races straight into the pit wall.
00:57 – Yellow AI car rear ends blue AI car, with no concern at all for the difference in speed. Yellow car races on as if nothing happened. Another AI behind doesn’t register the blue car is stationary and slams into it. The blue car’s physics go haywire, then it’s hit by another AI, and it almost falls through the world too.
01:30 – AI cars running off the track en masse, total disregard of the appropriate speed for that particular corner.
01:42 – Same thing, total disregard of appropriate speed.
01:49 – Same thing, only much worse, AI cars crashing even before the actual corner.
01:56 – AI car running off the track for no reason at all, then rejoins unsafely and gets hit by two AI cars. Again, they don’t even register the difference in speed and take close to no avoiding action.
02:06 – The typical pile-up before Eau Rouge. The AI is still unable to drive around stationary cars. It just sits and waits for the stationary cars to be moved off the track.
02:30 – Car clipping through the track surface and then sliding on its side in an unrealistic manner.
02:40 – AI car stopping on track for no reason at all. Then gets hit by another car which again takes no avoiding action or heed the yellow flags.
02:50 – Another nonsensical AI contact before Eau Rouge.
02:57 – This time the RUF AI stops on track for no reason at all. Other AI lacks logic to drive around the stationary car properly. Another big crash ensues.
03:08 – An AI car suddenly locks all four wheels and momentarily loses drive, goes off into the gravel, and rejoins the track in an unsafe manner. Another AI hits the first car, then another, and then another. Many AI cars drive off the track, plowing through the gravel.
03:39 – CPU 99% occupancy bug. Multiple AI cars swerving dangerously, which sends me into a spin and another AI then rams me into the barriers.
03:50 – Restart the race, AI still swerving and sends me into the barrier once more.
03:59 – AI cars running into each other, rejoining unsafely, overtaking on the grass and bumping into each other on straights.
04:28 – Me hanging back, observing some quite absurd AI behavior.
04:53 – AI smashing into the barrier for no reason, suspension physics going haywire, big crash.
05:08 – Another clip of the absurd AI behavior on Nordschleife
05:17 – Me hanging back, observing some more bizarre AI behavior. This time an AI keeps rear ending and pushing another AI car along the track, until one of them finally goes off into the barrier. The yellow AI car starts racing on the grass instead of on the track. After that, another AI plows into the yellow car.
06:16 – Multiple AI going off the track and ramming into each other.
06:24 – More absurd AI behavior, plowing into each other.
06:30 – AI running off the track and rejoining unsafely.
06:40 – More absurd AI ramming into each other.
06:46 – AI stopping on track before Eau Rouge, again.
07:03 – AI swerving, ramming each other and me, stopping on track, ramming each other some more, and lack the logic to drive around stopped cars on track.
07:32 – Most of the AI cars go off in the corner, some DNF’ing.
07:40 – AI cars slide all over the track, hitting the barriers and each other, causing a traffic jam. Yet again, the AI can’t figure out how to drive around stopped cars.
07:54 – Same story as above, insane driving causing DNF’s and traffic jams due to lack of logic.
08:07 – Another instance of the same problem, third time in one race.
08:17 – AI losing control under braking, then swerving wildly to defend, defending on the grass, ramming.
08:32 – AI making a mess ending up on top of each other.
08:44 – AI plowing into another AI, ramming it off the road.
08:51 – AI completely miscalculating the available grip, ramming the outside barrier, stopping on track.

Yeah, I think its strange too, I think I'm racing humans too, and they dont leave a gentleman impression at all ;)

Look, in my case the AI at 98% behaves strange. I drive mainly Nords (endurance), at the beginning of Fuchsrohre, one or two cars usually makes a full stop, the others will hit them, and when I slow down, the ones behind me crash into me, and if I make it alive, at the Adenau AI makes some strange mistakes, trying to avoid them is really tough so if I make it through Adenau I usually can drive to the finish and win the race ;) I have great memories with AI racing on GTR evo, which was really awesome comparing to the Assetto Corsas AI. Assetto Corsa is a great simulator at the moment, I only do drive Assetto Corsa, but AI currently has some issues and that is a fact.

I haven't driven any Nords race at all, only hot lappin !

I'll bet that Nords is a real challenge in terms of the amount of different corners for the programmers :)

I race mostly Monza, Imola, Brands and Spa @ 100%

I haven't driven any Nords race at all, only hot lappin !

I'll bet that Nords is a real challenge in terms of the amount of different corners for the programmers :)

I race mostly Monza, Imola, Brands and Spa @ 100%

To do justice to this thread and subject,
I havent driven for like 5-7 days, so I updated it, and wow...was I surprised!
I could race the AI at 98% almost without any issues, only at the start there was some pushing but it was ok, I mean it was a proper race, I had to make a video :D
The Nissan GTR did go of the track a bit near Aremberg, but it contolled "itself", I could eventually overtake it without crashing ;)

I could race the AI at 98% almost without any issues, only at the start there was some pushing but it was ok, I mean it was a proper race, I had to make a video :D
The Nissan GTR did go of the track a bit near Aremberg, but it contolled "itself", I could eventually overtake it without crashing ;)

How did you get it to pop the turn names along the top of the screen?

I found the AI to be variable from track to track. On Catalunya the AI runs very well! The AI does not bash my car, it is aggressive and takes a spot if I leave an opening, and runs very fast. On other tracks I am seeing the same rather poor AI. I will keep doing some more races at various tracks and different opponent strength settings.
:)

That's great that the AI is behaving itself, it's only taken them how long? ;)

I had quite a few GT3 races with the AI and thought they behaved really well.

Yesterday I tried a race with the AI with a full grid of McLaren F1 GTR's on a green track and the AI was all over the place, braking late and missing first chicane on Monza etc etc etc.

I have been using GTR 2 lately, what a great game it is, the AI is really good, you have a slider for difficulty and aggression, this game is nearly ten years old. Makes you wonder how they got it right back then and it's taken recent games how many tries to get even close.

Doing a race at Spa AI at 95%, last lap I'm in first place. Then out of know where an Audi LMP1 comes up behind me Blue flags me, then overtakes me and shoots off at what must have been over 200 MPH and completely vanishes from sight within seconds.
I finish 2nd.
Odd that don't you think?

Doing a race at Spa AI at 95%, last lap I'm in first place. Then out of know where an Audi LMP1 comes up behind me Blue flags me, then overtakes me and shoots off at what must have been over 200 MPH and completely vanishes from sight within seconds.
I finish 2nd.
Odd that don't you think?

The AI in the game has become self aware, either that or they are still using rubber banding.

they are still using rubber banding
Disappointed-Terrible-Awful-OMG-Embarassed-Embarassing-GIF.gif

Rubber banding in AC? Still?

Haven't noticed this at all to be honest, or even heard it seriously alleged before.

Maybe a look at the replay will provide clues as to what happened. I presume the replay of such an odd event was saved and can be shared. Sure KS would like the chance to investigate and respond to what is quite a hefty claim for a sim.

Rubber banding in AC? Still?

Haven't noticed this at all to be honest, or even heard it seriously alleged before.

Maybe a look at the replay will provide clues as to what happened. I presume the replay of such an odd event was saved and can be shared. Sure KS would like the chance to investigate and respond to what is quite a hefty claim for a sim.

It was tongue in cheek.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 234 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 163 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.6%
  • < 5 years