1.3 AI issues

From the video description:

Assetto Corsa version 1.3 with Dreampack #1 and #2, fresh install, no 3rd party mods installed.

Opponent strength = 100%
Track surface = optimum

This is what I was able to observe/capture during 1 hour of gameplay with a handful of different car/track combinations.

00:03 – AI piling up before Eau Rouge for no apparent reason, AI not registering speed differences, AI not taking avoiding action, AI falling through the world.
00:22 – A lot of AI cars running on the grass instead of on the track, AI not registering walls/barriers and hitting them, AI not taking avoiding action to avoid hitting other slower cars, AI not able to brake after the car has broken down, AI falling through the world.
00:48 – AI rear ending other car, continues to race with the other car on top of it, the lifted AI is sent back to the pits and immediately races straight into the pit wall.
00:57 – Yellow AI car rear ends blue AI car, with no concern at all for the difference in speed. Yellow car races on as if nothing happened. Another AI behind doesn’t register the blue car is stationary and slams into it. The blue car’s physics go haywire, then it’s hit by another AI, and it almost falls through the world too.
01:30 – AI cars running off the track en masse, total disregard of the appropriate speed for that particular corner.
01:42 – Same thing, total disregard of appropriate speed.
01:49 – Same thing, only much worse, AI cars crashing even before the actual corner.
01:56 – AI car running off the track for no reason at all, then rejoins unsafely and gets hit by two AI cars. Again, they don’t even register the difference in speed and take close to no avoiding action.
02:06 – The typical pile-up before Eau Rouge. The AI is still unable to drive around stationary cars. It just sits and waits for the stationary cars to be moved off the track.
02:30 – Car clipping through the track surface and then sliding on its side in an unrealistic manner.
02:40 – AI car stopping on track for no reason at all. Then gets hit by another car which again takes no avoiding action or heed the yellow flags.
02:50 – Another nonsensical AI contact before Eau Rouge.
02:57 – This time the RUF AI stops on track for no reason at all. Other AI lacks logic to drive around the stationary car properly. Another big crash ensues.
03:08 – An AI car suddenly locks all four wheels and momentarily loses drive, goes off into the gravel, and rejoins the track in an unsafe manner. Another AI hits the first car, then another, and then another. Many AI cars drive off the track, plowing through the gravel.
03:39 – CPU 99% occupancy bug. Multiple AI cars swerving dangerously, which sends me into a spin and another AI then rams me into the barriers.
03:50 – Restart the race, AI still swerving and sends me into the barrier once more.
03:59 – AI cars running into each other, rejoining unsafely, overtaking on the grass and bumping into each other on straights.
04:28 – Me hanging back, observing some quite absurd AI behavior.
04:53 – AI smashing into the barrier for no reason, suspension physics going haywire, big crash.
05:08 – Another clip of the absurd AI behavior on Nordschleife
05:17 – Me hanging back, observing some more bizarre AI behavior. This time an AI keeps rear ending and pushing another AI car along the track, until one of them finally goes off into the barrier. The yellow AI car starts racing on the grass instead of on the track. After that, another AI plows into the yellow car.
06:16 – Multiple AI going off the track and ramming into each other.
06:24 – More absurd AI behavior, plowing into each other.
06:30 – AI running off the track and rejoining unsafely.
06:40 – More absurd AI ramming into each other.
06:46 – AI stopping on track before Eau Rouge, again.
07:03 – AI swerving, ramming each other and me, stopping on track, ramming each other some more, and lack the logic to drive around stopped cars on track.
07:32 – Most of the AI cars go off in the corner, some DNF’ing.
07:40 – AI cars slide all over the track, hitting the barriers and each other, causing a traffic jam. Yet again, the AI can’t figure out how to drive around stopped cars.
07:54 – Same story as above, insane driving causing DNF’s and traffic jams due to lack of logic.
08:07 – Another instance of the same problem, third time in one race.
08:17 – AI losing control under braking, then swerving wildly to defend, defending on the grass, ramming.
08:32 – AI making a mess ending up on top of each other.
08:44 – AI plowing into another AI, ramming it off the road.
08:51 – AI completely miscalculating the available grip, ramming the outside barrier, stopping on track.

I just had a race at Road America we all had BMW m235i racing, and at the start most of the AI cars veered sideways under severe wheel spin one hitting another, another one of them swerved across in front of me, I hit the brakes but still just bumped the back of it. It just stopped there, there was another AI car behind me, I reversed up and the AI car behind me sideswiped me as it took off. The car in front then took off also, why would an AI car just stop and not continue on? And why wouldn't the car behind me just drive around both of us? The rest of the game has improved out of sight with the 1.3 update but the AI is still acting weird.

Mod track. Some aren't set up properly.

If you turn on the ai app on road america you'll notice that the racing line (purple line) is there but the edges of the track aren't (red lines on edges of track). This means that the ai have no idea where the edges of the track are (they don't see like we do) so they stick fanatically to the racing line. This is what happened at the start of the race. The ai all tried to get on the racing line as soon as possible.
Road%20America.png_zps8fudgzfa.jpeg

Imola - notice the red lines denoting the edges of the track.
imola_zpsrejdortl.jpg

As for how this is set up, I have no idea. I'm not sure if it is part of the ai or part of the track. I think it is to do with the track because I've seen mod tracks that have no ai line but the red lines exist (and they were all over the place. That'll make the ai go crazy too). :geek:

Last edited:
I just had a race at Road America we all had BMW m235i racing, and at the start most of the AI cars veered sideways under severe wheel spin one hitting another, another one of them swerved across in front of me, I hit the brakes but still just bumped the back of it. It just stopped there, there was another AI car behind me, I reversed up and the AI car behind me sideswiped me as it took off. The car in front then took off also, why would an AI car just stop and not continue on? And why wouldn't the car behind me just drive around both of us? The rest of the game has improved out of sight with the 1.3 update but the AI is still acting weird.

Mod tracks doesn't appear to work very well with the latest AI :(

Since 1.3 I'm getting a constant 99% cpu occupancy even when hot lapping on my own, this is every car and track combo I've tried and no reductions in settings fixes this, I've never seen this cpu warning before the update and nothing has changed on my system.
Is this a known issue and if so are there any fixes? I'm seeing no performance issues just the annoying message at the top of the screen.

On tracks where the mesh is named correctly the AI recording will produce them automatically. I believe RA has 100% of the circuit marked 'legal to drive on' by mesh name, or maybe its surfaces.ini is messed up, either way, the app can't detect the edges of the track when there aren't any.

Read some complaints about Assetto Corsa and the AI supposedly so bad. Well testing the GT2 Ferrari with about a dozen AI cars at add-on track Estoril 1988 and I felt I was racing a human, in fact the AI looked better than me! They gave me space, but at the same time were acceptably aggressive. Did not overreact to my stupid moves, and were keen to attack once overtaken. Admittedly I was not impressed with AI in earlier builds but from what I have tested now I am impressed. So I thought I would make this Fraps video to illustrate my point.
AI were set at 100%. Well done Kunos and team

The AI on supplied and updated tracks seem fine now, like we figured out above, the tracks that are mods and don't have the right setup are a nightmare.

I wish I could figure out how to fix them or hope someone does and posts a tutorial.

Well I can tell you from my experience the AI sucks so bad, I begin to think its some kind of a conspiracy theory, like they did it intentionally :D AC is really fine, awesome tracks, cars, awesome forcefeedback...but AI...I cant finish a lap, its like road of fury out there man. Seriously, Kunos, guys, make it functional at least. Right now, they are crashing between each other, they are not overtaking they are trying to kill me, if I want to overtake they crash me...This really has no place in such a title as Assetto Corsa :/ This is happening mainly in GT3 class races. Cheers!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 74 12.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 53 8.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 62 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 6.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 90 14.9%