Yvan Muller joins Citroen Racing for WTCC 2014

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Citroen Racing has recruited WTCC points leader Yvan Muller as part of it's 2014 WTCC effort. The three-time world champion will partner rally legend Sebastien Loeb, piloting one of the 2014 Citroen C-Elysée WTCC cars.

Yvan Muller won the 2008, 2010 and 2011 titles, and broke pretty much every record going. Sonoma will be the deciding race, and could easily be the venue where Muller takes his fourth title.

The Frenchman joins a French teammate at a French based works team for a French automotive company. Yves Matton, MD of Citroen Racing, had this to say:

“Throughout its history, be it in cross-country rallies or WRC, Citroën Racing has always sought to recruit the best drivers,” notes Matton

“We have set ambitious goals for our new challenge in WTCC, and the arrival of a driver as experienced as Yvan will help us to make rapid progress. He has shown this season that he is at the peak of his powers and that his thirst for wins has never been greater. He will also be an excellent point of reference for Sébastien Loeb.

"The two men are from the same region and have known each other for a long time. Their mutual respect will create a natural cohesion within the team.”

In his time racing touring cars, Yvan has worked with five different manufacturers. Feeling motivated by this newly presented challenge, Muller said:

“It will be a real honour to represent Citroën Racing from 2014. As a rally fan, I have always followed Citroën and Seb’s victorious seasons in WRC with interest. It’s fantastic that a brand with such a terrific record is getting involved in a category where it still has everything to learn.

Yvan's contract ties him to the marque for two seasons, and he will drive the C-Elysée WTCC at his Citroen debut at the Val de Vienne circuit. He will also take part in pre season testing in the lead up to the 2014 season.

"This isn’t the first time I have joined a team that doesn’t have a lot of experience in the discipline it is racing in. It’s nice to be able to go beyond my role as a driver by offering the benefit of my knowledge and making an active contribution to building a successful team" He added.

When asked about his 2014 car, Yvan said it is "lighter, more powerful and more efficient in terms of aerodynamics". The car has "wider tyres and bigger brakes", and will be "a lot faster than the current car."

Teammate Loeb is near enough the most successful driver in motorsport history, with nine WRC championships under his belt. Two heavy hitters like Loeb and Muller have little left to prove, and will surely bring a huge amount of experience to Citroen in their first year in the WTCC.

Image: Citroen Racing Media
View the Post on the Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree, Alexander. I can't see anyone but Muller winning next year (assuming the car performs).

We all expected a dominant season for the Honda this year but so far hasn't really worked out very well ;)

I think Loeb needs some time to adept to this car and series and after a couple of months we'll know how good he is.

And Müller always seems to switch sides at the right moment :)

We all expected a dominant season for the Honda this year but so far hasn't really worked out very well ;)

I think Loeb needs some time to adept to this car and series and after a couple of months we'll know how good he is.

And Müller always seems to switch sides at the right moment :)
I am not sure about that. He won his first race in GT-Series and also had to make a greate overtake against an experienced GT Driver.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 356 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 250 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%