WRC: Hyundai i20 Completes 3 Day Test

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
130527_hy-552x310.jpg
Hyundai have completed a test of it's 2014 specification i20 WRC in France last week - completing 350 miles (550km) of tarmac testing in the 3 day event.

Since welcoming major staff members to it's team, Hyundai has been making strides towards being prepared to run at the i20's debut rally in Monte Carlo next year.

Before the test, the team conducted an installation test in Alzenau, Germany, close to Hyundai Motorsport's HQ.

In a press release, team principal for Hyundai WRC Michel Nandan said: "It has been a busy few months here at Hyundai Motorsport as we prepared to kick-off our testing programme to get ready for the 2014 FIA World Rally Championship."

"After starting our operations from scratch at the Alzenau factory in early January, we have been developing the car and now we can put the theory into practice."

"The car is on the road and I have to admit it was quite an emotional moment to see the latest [2014] specification of the i20 WRC in action for the first time."

“The learning from the first tests for me is quite positive. I think we are starting from a good base that we can use to carry on working. This was crucial considering the tight schedule we have until the end of the year. We have now a lot of useful feedback to digest for the next steps of our preparation."

Hyundai has seven months before the 2014 Monte Carlo Rally. An extensive testing schedule will need to be completed, in order for the entry to be ready & competitive in the French Riviera.

The team will have been assessing the car in its entirety, but it is reported that there was emphasis on testing the 1.6 litre turbocharged powerhouse at the centre of the powertrain.

"We have an intensive testing schedule for the rest of 2013 which will take us to different venues across Europe, to evaluate the i20 WRC in different conditions and on different terrains which reflect the variety of circumstances we will encounter in the World Rally Championship next year." Nandan explained.

"We are not disclosing our specific test venues or the names of the various drivers we will have but we will ensure that every aspect of the car's performance is put to the test and thoroughly evaluated without leaving anything to chance."

Hyundai Motorsport haven't hinted at who will be piloting the i20 in 2014, only letting slip that it will not be one of the Koeran test drivers who have been involved in the development of the car.
View the Post on the Blog

Who do you think will be driving Hyundai in 2014?
Hänninen, Meeke, Andersson, Breen, Atkinson, Solberg, Tidemand, Nikara, Lappi?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 333 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 169 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 289 13.4%