Wouldn't it be nice to drive another car for a new cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that has always stood out for me with STC is it's IMHO GTR Evolutions #1 league. Now if we step into RFactor we are no longer the most well-known and prestigious league in our game, we have FSR and a lot of others that are BIGGG when we are only big. I don't know if that's a problem but it will take away some of the glory away from it as it's not the game best league. But hey, it can be and IMO is :):D:D

RFactor has downgraded graphics to GTR EVO because it is older, honestly there is so point doing one season in RFactor then going to another game straight after. 3 games in 3 series, not ideal for our wallets or purses in David's case ;) :D. I still think people are too critical and quick to fire the trigger when something goes wrong. You have to look at the whole STC history, this has been the only one with an issue with. Previous seasons have been perfectly ran and have been great to watch. I think this season's mod was absolutely stunning to hear, see and drive, but it has flaws. If we are ever using a mod in an STC season, we have to beta test it like our lives depend on it. And if it does go wrong, always have a back-up plan ready on stand-by. :) Every one is quick to judge when it comes to thing going wrong, but the things that have gone right have tipped the scale massively. Yes, the mod was flawed, yes the game is flawed. But I think we are best to stick it out and go for an original class next year, with no bugs or errors to deal with.

I'm happy either way, If we did go for rFactor then the next problem would be which mod to use, as it seems we can't agree on the colour of you know what, that could be a problem. I don't think the issue is being BIG in a specific game or not, its all about the standard of league that matters and we know STC standards are high. Moving to rFactor may be more hassle than its worth though, its difficult to tell. Definately the easiest route for STC is to move on next season with standard EVO (only Ross take those rose tinted glasses off, its buggy at the best of times lol). I just hope all the teams roll with whatever is decided, at the end of the day I think its not the game that matters, its the standard of competition, the broadcast, the teams, the organisation. As long as there is a stable platform to work with thats all STC needs to be successful.

As long as there is a stable platform to work with thats all STC needs to be successful.
This sentence sums it all up for me: Once I am on the grid in other sims/series (not going to mention them) and I know (99%) that I am going to get to the end of the race unless I have a problem my end (connection, power-cut, front door, house-mates, operating system self-distruct).

I don't have the same confidence ATM when I see the start lights in STC. I literally sit there with my fingers crossed that I am not a ghost-car, won't have a car land on top of me - as it drops from the sky onto the grid, won't get a mini-dump on the parade lap, won't leave the pits with an empty fuel tank, won't lag into another dimension of time and space... blah.. blah... blah :D.

And the most frustrating thing about it is that it kills my motivation and makes me question my sanity in persisting: I race online for enjoyment, not the same frustration I get when I go to work. So I implore everyone involved to compromise a little (a lot in some quarters) and help us make some decisions that will benefit everyone, rather than hold out for an idealistic scenario that we may not be able to deliver at the moment.

An insight into my motivation for STC at the moment: I don't practice the track much anymore. I sit around and wait to be called on by my team in the event that I am needed as a reserve, but I refuse to run lap after lap learning the car or track.

Compare that to seasons past... I would take to the grid with at least 500-1000 laps of practice under my belt, I would have run race stints to compare 2-3 different race strategies, I would have pawed over lap after laps worth of MoteC data, I would have compared this with data from my team mates, I would have searched for a 10th of a second in lap time, I would have taken to the grid 100% confident that I was as ready as I was ever going to be and I would look forward to the race with the kind of excitement that is embarrasing in a grown adult.

Now? My free time (like everyone else involved in STC) is precious and right now I cannot convince myself that doing any of the above would not be wasting it :(.

Compare that to seasons past... I would take to the grid with at least 500-1000 laps of practice under my belt, I would have run race stints to compare 2-3 different race strategies, I would have pawed over lap after laps worth of MoteC data, I would have compared this with data from my team mates, I would have searched for a 10th of a second in lap time, I would have taken to the grid 100% confident that I was as ready as I was ever going to be and I would look forward to the race with the kind of excitement that is embarrasing in a grown adult.:(.

I fully understand Mark, but past seasons were also with EVO, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Of course the mod it is, the server it is, but if we have a bad MOD or a bad server won't be fixed changing to rFactor, will be only fixed working in that precise problems.

I am still very much convinced that our problems are down to two issues: the server and the 30car mod. I know we used the 30car mod last season, too. But we had a way better server then. Something is dodgy about the one we have right now, I am not happy at all with the results (or lack thereof) produced by the provider. My wild guess would be that it's related to the bandwidth sucked up by more and more players joining with massive amounts of bandwidth at their disposal, sucking the guys with weaker lines into oblivion. We had that problem in the RDLMS with rFactor, didn't we, and limited the entry strength to ISDN, which - BINGO - solved the huge lag-problems there. Available bandwidth is definitely something that has changed over the last year, unnoticed by the team running STC. Also, DMSV are close to immune to the problems others have. Quality of Swedish internet providers and infrastructure in general, anyone? While results for players in Great Britain and some parts of Finland have been spotty. Just a very very wild guess.

I fully understand Mark, but past seasons were also with EVO, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Of course the mod it is, the server it is, but if we have a bad MOD or a bad server won't be fixed changing to rFactor, will be only fixed working in that precise problems.

No - that is my point. I am saying that changing the mod/sim is not the issue here. The issue is that we may need to do something and it would be easier if we could all agree on that and then accept whatever compromises are needed to make it work.

DMSV are close to immune to the problems others have. Quality of Swedish internet providers and infrastructure in general, anyone?

Our only DNF so far was when a major ISP lost routing to the world

BUT several have reinstalled windows and/or steam to fix issues we have had during training and a few new routers (incl mine..) as well.
However we have chosen not to field drivers who have had problems during training/testraces. I guess that has helped too..

Also, DMSV are close to immune to the problems others have. Quality of Swedish internet providers and infrastructure in general, anyone? While results for players in Great Britain and some parts of Finland have been spotty. Just a very very wild guess.

Funny, I don't know any Finnish STC driver that's had a connection problem this season in STC. In all my sim-racing history I can count my the disco's with one hand.

Well, what I really don't want is the default EVO GT PRO or GT SPORT class, that it will be a real step backwards, this does not mean we won't be for a simple and safe solution, but I don't want to drop the tyre compounds that add a lot of interest to race strategy, it has to be a midpoint.

Ok a few things from me.

I have recently come back to GTR Evo, in a half hearted attempt some might add based on what I usually put into the sim. The reason is the lack of feel overall with the sim. I noticed this when I tried rFactor mod EOAA GT which has phenomenal FFB compared to anything in that sim out right now. Also playing the GT5 Demo that was out for a couple of months in December of last year didn't help either, it was another world pure and simple. Now I understand this is a completely different problem to what everyone here has said. Me and my brothers (Dragos and Michael) have never had ISP problems, ever. Our problems stem more from hardware if anything.

What we can do now with the season ending is to not go into making drastic changes, but tweak what we have with little inputs to solve our current problems. Now I don't see drastic change when I'm talking about moving over to rFactor and a mod like EOAA, we all have one part of that we would just need the other (that being the mod). EVO has great qualities, so does rFactor its our job to provide the STC staff with credible, honest input so that we can all come to a consensus about what will have to happen next season.

What I've really enjoyed about this season is definitely the different performance/characteristics of the cars in the mod, and as well the new tyre compounds (IMO we have to little of them, a medium compound could be a nice bridge between the hard and softs). This cannot leave the mod/STC going forward.

I am happy if we decide to go forward with EVO with default line up but increased setup options, or if we switch to rFactor and EOAA GT. Either way its important to move forward whilst always improving on what we've got, no matter how little or how much.

Nice post Cris but one thing, and this is the problem with rFactor, I tired EOAA mod and I think its ****. I drove for about 10 laps and uninstalled it . I think the biggest hurdle with rF is going to be which mod to choose, not everyone is going to agree. I love rFactor, and with the right mod think its a good direction for STC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back