Why I don't race in iRacing anymore...

Sad but true. I have not raced in iRacing for weeks now (only try it every now and then maybe I change my mind).

Reason? Well, for some reason I cannot find grip in most cars and it seems that the cars never want to stop when I brake.

I can be quite fast in rFactor 2, nKPro and GCS2012 for example. True, first few laps, there is no grip as well, but then, especially in rF2, the car is glued to the road when the rubber is laid.

I can immerse very easily in rF2 and the car stops when I want and I know how much to push in corners. In iRacing, the car keep going out and out of the corner and the braking, I don't know, I cannot get the right feeling.

Am I doing something wrong in iRacing? Do you guys have the same experiece or its just me???

:(

also just talking trash

I haven't driven the V8SC, but did try the cadilac with baseline and with a number of sets from iracing forums, one of which allowed me to immediately go 4secs a lap faster, but given I was 7-8 secs off the lap record, I was still miles behind with the better set.

Hampus said......I hate the V8, i don´t like it at all, it does have to little grip for me, but does that make it bad?.

For me it's simple, I don't drive sim cars I can't control and feel in control at some point, and I've spent 100's of laps on various cars, so if I can't get the hang of it by then, it's time to hang up the gloves on that car, especially as I put some of the Netkar owers in the top 10 within 30 laps{I uploaded my replays to the netkar forum}.

I also find it odd that you're defending iracing even though you agree with me.....

Chronus said.....And it's always the same type of feedback: lack of grip, even at low speeds

My problem to a T, but mainly the faster cars, the MX5 was something that was far more controllable, though it might just be a case of it's low power minimizing the grip problems.

I haven't driven the V8SC, but did try the cadilac with baseline and with a number of sets from iracing forums, one of which allowed me to immediately go 4secs a lap faster, but given I was 7-8 secs off the lap record, I was still miles behind with the better set.

If I may interject here, David.

I read countless posts at iracing forums around this debate (lap times in-sim and real life). Some think the harder the driving is, the better as it keeps lap times within realistic values. It's a failed argument and we're back to "harder is realistic" nonsense.

Others say they're as fast or faster as real life, which proves that the sim is real. This is at least awfully bizarre thinking: no matter how realistic a simulator is, even considering the lack of proper feedback (seat of the pants and other things), a simracer is always potentially faster because he/she has the ability to push harder with ZERO CONSEQUENCES (crash, injury, death, team budget catastrophe).

But there is something else. I have sat side by side with pro drivers trying LFS, iRacing, NKP and Race07. Even after trying the best setups and tinkering with them on iRacing, these guys were fast BUT still a few seconds slower than the so called alien drivers. When we analysed replays, lo and behold, most "alien" drivers were doing things they (pro drivers) would never do (constantly sideways, constantly dive bombing, constantly using kerbs). No wonder these "aliens" are fast - and obviously, there are exceptions, Huttu and Towler being the most obvious. The pro drivers showed me this: if they're to use a sim as a tool, they cannot use the pseudo-techniques some aliens use. Which means, realistic use of the sim implies renouncing to "being the fastest guy around". Which, for them, is fine.

For me it's simple, I don't drive sim cars I can't control and feel in control at some point, and I've spent 100's of laps on various cars, so if I can't get the hang of it by then, it's time to hang up the gloves on that car, especially as I put some of the Netkar owers in the top 10 within 30 laps{I uploaded my replays to the netkar forum}.

Well, I don't know how often you went to iRacing forums, read a lot of guys saying exactly what you write here and the usual "choir boys" bid them farewell with comments about lack of talent or willingness to work hard...Shameful.

My problem to a T, but mainly the faster cars, the MX5 was something that was far more controllable, though it might just be a case of it's low power minimizing the grip problems.

Tommy Milner twitted several times about iRacing. He was called a "clown", "paid by another dev company", "talentless" (go figure) by the usual "choir boys".

But what he said was simple: cars felt odd, wrong, lack of grip, stability. That's what most people complain about iRacing.

Why is that? It's only a problem of tire modelling - true, aeros are still not on par with the rest of the service, but tires (OTM or NTM) still suffer from the problems I mentioned earlier. And why is it still that way? Given the team and budget Dave Kaemmer has at his disposal, there's only so much he can do. Given time, he will solve all this but atm he has a lot to deal with besides tires.

But to say iRacing has the best physics all-round is absurd.

It's a failed argument and we're back to "harder is realistic" nonsense.

You would think with the limited no of cars, that they could easily solve this problem, so I'm inclined to believe that extreme difficulty is their intended goal, presumably because they think that's what'll keep us coming back.

I think we need AC to shake things up.....if that drives well and isn't ultra difficult or odd, there should be billions of AC players jumping for joy, lol.

You would think with the limited no of cars, that they could easily solve this problem, so I'm inclined to believe that extreme difficulty is their intended goal, presumably because they think that's what'll keep us coming back.

Hmm...even though I'm baffled by that, I'm forced to accept that possibility: the higher the difficulty, the bigger the challenge, the more hooked members will be, precisely because they believe not everyone is willing to put in time and effort to excel in it. So, being the "big bad fast guy of the neighbourhood" acts like the proverbial carrot.

Baffled by it, but maybe you and others got it right.

And also agree: new sims like AC and rF2 (upon release) are vital to refresh the genre given the old & absurd "harder is realistic" mentality is back with new visuals and sounds.

Hmm...even though I'm baffled by that, I'm forced to accept that possibility: the higher the difficulty, the bigger the challenge, the more hooked members will be, precisely because they believe not everyone is willing to put in time and effort to excel in it. So, being the "big bad fast guy of the neighbourhood" acts like the proverbial carrot.

Baffled by it, but maybe you and others got it right.

And also agree: new sims like AC and rF2 (upon release) are vital to refresh the genre given the old & absurd "harder is realistic" mentality is back with new visuals and sounds.

I find it odd if they think that the harder it is, the better it is. I have played GSC 2012(demo), Race 07(own it), and Netkar Pro(Demo) and they are much easier to keep the car on the road compared to iRacing. Funny thing is, that I thought I was going really slow on iRacing but then I found out that I was actually turning laps quicker than in real life. The Cadillac is a perfect example, I am about 2 seconds quicker at Mosport and Ohio in iRacing than real life lap times, yet the car feels extremely difficult to keep it on the track and push it to the limits (at least it's what it feels to me). It doesn't make sense. Oh and I don't know if it's just me, but I can only put the quickest lap times right on the 1st or 2nd lap and after that the tires aren't the same. I don't think that's how tires work, but anyways...

In Race 07, in the touring cars, I feel comfortable around them except when I am pushing them to the limits. And I mean REALLY to the limits. When that happens, in many tracks, I am matching real life times or going 1, 2 sec. quicker which isn't a lot. In iRacing, it's the opposite, I feel unsafe driving the cars, feels like I'm slow but I am actually going really quick (at least compared to real life times). It's odd. It disappoints me, because I love iRacing's structure, it's just the feeling of the cars that doesn't satisfy me.

I agree with you when you say that the "harder is realistic" thinking is absurd. Racing cars aren't supposed to be extremely hard. It's not like there are only a dozen of drivers around the world. :p This is just my opinion, I don't criticize anyone who enjoys iRacing, because it does have a lot of positive aspects and I'm sure a lot of people enjoy it for what it is. It's just not for me. Also, my opinion may not be much of value considering I have only tried the base cars, and I have heard that iRacing has got a car or two with really good physics such as the V8 Supercar or the HPD. But from my experience, it needs to improve and for a game that releases a car every few months they should have had nailed it for every car, but instead are always changing tire models, meaning they aren't getting the physics quite right yet. Again, just my opinion. :)

Hmm...even though I'm baffled by that, I'm forced to accept that possibility: the higher the difficulty, the bigger the challenge, the more hooked members will be, precisely because they believe not everyone is willing to put in time and effort to excel in it.
LOL this might be the funniest sh*t ever written on a forum..

The fact that people think they are actively pushing for harder to drive is absolutely hilarious.

My main problem is that I can't feel the acceleration so I'm not able to know if I have to press more or less the gas pedal on corner exit.. and very often my car starts to spin...

I find it odd if they think that the harder it is, the better it is. I have played GSC 2012(demo), Race 07(own it), and Netkar Pro(Demo) and they are much easier to keep the car on the road compared to iRacing. Funny thing is, that I thought I was going really slow on iRacing but then I found out that I was actually turning laps quicker than in real life. The Cadillac is a perfect example, I am about 2 seconds quicker at Mosport and Ohio in iRacing than real life lap times, yet the car feels extremely difficult to keep it on the track and push it to the limits (at least it's what it feels to me). It doesn't make sense. Oh and I don't know if it's just me, but I can only put the quickest lap times right on the 1st or 2nd lap and after that the tires aren't the same. I don't think that's how tires work, but anyways...

Well, I understand and agree with what you guys posted.

An Aussie friend of mine read this thread and sent me a link to a blog by another iRacer:

http://www.triplea007.com/archives/tag/iracing/

Now (August 2012), this iRacer talks about a (fantastic :) ) experience he had driving a real life V8 SC.

Here's a snippet:

I don’t talk much about it here, but if you know me outside this blog, you’ll know I’m a hardcore sim racer . . . iRacer to be more accurate.
[...]

This is an experience that every racing enthusiast should sign up for. It’s not every day that you get to race a V8 Supercar around a well-known racetrack with real traffic, so it’s something definitely worth doing if you ever want to earn the right to talk about racing again.

[...]

Anyway . . . the fun is over and it’s back to iRacing for me. I realised I’ve got to stiffen up the wheel on the simulated V8 to pair it up with the real deal. I also realised that the simulated V8 spins WAY too much. The real V8 I drove today was not nearly as sensitive. The car was AWESOME, and unlike its iRacing counterpart, it could TURN very tight and go from 160kph to 40kph in no time. It’s truly a sensational vehicle to drive. I’ll never forget this experience.

The bold parts are what most people feel and complain about. Eventually, DK will get rid of this issue, but for now it is like this.

I agree with you when you say that the "harder is realistic" thinking is absurd. Racing cars aren't supposed to be extremely hard. It's not like there are only a dozen of drivers around the world. :p This is just my opinion, I don't criticize anyone who enjoys iRacing, because it does have a lot of positive aspects and I'm sure a lot of people enjoy it for what it is. It's just not for me.

Yeah. But whatever you and many others say, will always fall on deaf years for some iRacers.

I think that was because he stated Dirt 3 as the best.
His logics were fun = realistic.

His review was retarded, don't know whether he was paid to talk such rubbish, or didn't appreciate the notion of a learning curve for racing simulators, something that would apply to him even though he's a capable rl driver.

re- iceracing, most of the complaints seem pretty consistent, and it's quite obvious that experienced sim players are the one's making the complaints, anyway, if iceracing fail to address the ordinary physics and FFB, they'll be destroyed by AC, rf2 and hopefully something from Reiza and Simbin.

I have just tried out iRacing after the new Season 4 build. It's better with my G25, nice that they have put the FFB Offset in-game opposed to the app.ini. Tweaked it a bit more and it's better. Still too slippery for me, but I can turn some quick-ish lap times. :D The FFB has gained a little bit of weight at the center, and I like that, allows me to correct the car better.

Also, 64 bit support is very welcome from me, since my PC is 64 bit. Maybe iRacing will wake up and realize the tough competition they will be soon getting from AC, rF2 and hopefully RRE from Simbin. Maybe Reiza has something new in the works as well...

It's not realistic to have a field of view of 45 degrees, do you drive with blinkers on in real life? If you only have one screen you need to compromise.
blinders.jpg
I use a fov@60 and a TrackIR device, so I can move my head and look at what I want :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back