Which SSD to buy?

I'll come back to this thread in a month or two for more advice lol. I got loads of games which I use consistantly.

Would this be the best option...

SSD - OS
HDD 1 (320GB) - Games
HDD 2 (1TB) - Pictures, files, music, movies, etc etc.

I already have HDD 1 n 2 which I use HDD 1 for OS and Games while HDD 2 with the ones mentioned.

Will this also affect the PSU since I will be getting ATI 5850? PSU is Corsair 650w.

• Russell Dent

Sorry Damian wat is Trim support explain ? im looking for a SSD for around £130 help plz

• Russell Dent

Can i just ask one more thing Damian How do this cards go in ur pc do u need to order a bracket or sumthing to hold it in place cause they look smaller then sata hard drives.

• Russell Dent

do u get those brackets with the ssd cards or do u need to order one seperate?

I want to buy a SSD and I am thinking to buy the Intel X-18M 80 GB version for 160 euro's.
Is it worth to pay 35 euro's more and buy the Intel X-25M or is there another SSD in that price range that is better?
And what bracket would I need, because it is a 1,8" SSD, and I don't see any brackets of that size?

I would go for the X25 because it's second generation and a bit faster, not much but it's faster. If there comes new firmware I am sure the X25 will get it sooner than the X18. I own the X25 Postville myself for about a half year and I am very happy with it. Last I tried to boot W7 from my Raptor, which is a kinda fast 10.000 RPM HDD and it felt like I was on my old computer I had 2 years ago.

You don't need a bracket, just use one or 2 screws on one side, SSD's are so light and there are no moving objects in them so you don't need to use 4 screws on them, mine hangs on one and it hangs very solid.

Yes this is the one, I also bought it there but mine was about 190 euro's. The silver colored one is the Postville the black is the older version.

I see prices don't drop anymore. It is worth all the money and I am so happy with it. Installing W7 ultimate only took 9 minutes.

I don't know if there is much difference, if you buy the Postville you will get the right one i guess.

I made 2 partitions, one 50GB for my os and programs and one 30GB for my userprofile. You have to redirect the userpprofile to the second partition. Now you have it all running from SSD also the user files and the user files are separate from the C:\. So in case of a problem you will have the user files apart.

In the bios set AHCI on if you have it. This is better for the performance. Also update the drive to latest firmware and install the Intel SSD toolbox.

No, you need a complete reinstall from your windows OS. The SSD will be the system drive and the other drive will be for your games, data etc.

On de 50GB partition there is enough room for W7 with Office 2007 and some programs, try to keep 10GB free on the SSD, this is better for perfomance and kill some services you can find with google, just search for ssd performance services etc.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back