What's up with those ads?

Please, PLEASE tell me you guys are kidding??

ADS randomly placed between threads and at the bottom of every 1st, 2nd and 3rd post of EVERY THREAD?

Is that really the way you want to go with RaceDepartment?
Beacause it is most definitely not what I would like to see... plus it really takes the point out of having people donating doesn't it?

As said a few times, just chip in a tiny donation and you dont see any ads. Or just accept it as 99% of the websites on the internet have ads. Or send us three or four top notch server machines that we can place for free in a datacenter, that would also be a good solution :)

One way or the other the costs of this site have to be covered in order for it to continue.

OR, run Ghostery & block adverts as well as trackers & all that other spyware Google loves....
In the meantime, & a little off topic, when will the we be able to upload Xpacks, Tracks, Mods & other bits again Bram?
And will we need to re-upload all the stuff that was there before or will it mysteriously re-appear when the Download section comes back?
With Megaupload & others shutting or under threat, it sure would be nice to have somewhere properly secure for modders to swap files about at least.
Thanks for all yours & the rest of the RD crew for their time they put into an awesome site!
BLeeK

I don't mind the advertisements, it's the trackers & spyware....
Even while, running on a non-blocked system, I have no troubles with the ad's.
But currently I have 5 trackers being blocked & have had up to 9 on RD, only place that beats that is rFC itself with 14+(!) on a regular basis.
When I can donate, I will- in the meantime I'll either be here with Linux-Ubuntu or running with my blocker in Windows XP.
I only asked the question as there's been a couple of us wondering & making do in the meantime.....
By the way, what does it cost for a server rig? (re; Andrew's previous question.....curious myself/might be worth donating one when back at work....)

Thanks for the info Bram, got it bookmarked & certainly of interest.
Ive got 5 trackers being blocked again at the moment, 1each for Twiter & Facebook & the other 3 are all Google; Google+1,Google Adsense & Google Analytics.
I've also seen regularly blocked DoubleClick & Right Media here before too.
Just thought you might be interested & no, I didn't think that it would be anything RD would add, but I've never trusted Google or Yahoo....:D

So you dont browse on the internet at all? Every website has google analytics running. Its not a tracker as in spyware/malware. It just counts the visits of the website and logs that.

Google analytics has been running since the first day we started this community many moons ago. FYI: ad blockers really dont help RD.

it's quite simple for all to understand

A website has unique visitors per month, these per visitors can help the gross of the website bill by clicking on the ad (genuinely) once a month or so, browse the site that interests you alittle.... that click generates money for RD.

Ads = Clicks = Revenue = server bill being paid , it's a massive contribution towards the upstay of RD, not only that but it costs money not only for server rental but the data server slot and bandwidth, im not quite sure whether all that pricing is covered in one package bill?

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back