Vettel is and will become the greatest driver in the history of F1?

He could break the records, but people will always regard people like Fangio, Clark and Senna more highly than him. He has however been the class of the field for a few years now.

He still has lot more time but he has the What it takes to be Great Driver and proved it many times. In Situations like Yas 2012 or Brazil 2012. The Mentality to Fight back.
In My view we have to compare Seb with the years to other great drivers and his Arch Rival Fernando.
Seb of 2009 or 10 was not good than Alonso. But the things changed from 2011 i believe. He was more racey in all aspects and he was improving him self. That year even people say oh he has biggest advantage but if we look closely he improved him self and his Defensive style in Spain or Monaco was impressive or his major ability to Drive like Prost in Valencia or Singapore.

At the start of 2012 Season he has 2 Non scoring Races one in Malaysia and other in Valencia costed him major haul of Points and yet by Summer break he was P3 in standings behind his team mate by 2 points who has only one Non scoring race in Spain where he was P11 for most of the race.
The 2nd Half of 2012 showed his ability how he come ahead when things was against him. Spa was the best of his races with overtaking Most of cars at only bus stop chicane where he Tboned JB in 2010. It clearly displays he never do same mistake twice. The Yas and Brazil was displayed the ability of fight back
That races made me think that he was closing on Alonso in terms of ability and he has the Consistency since 2010 ending stages.
Come 2013 he showcased that he can do Win in dog fights just like the way he dominates. The German GP was best of the races he never did a mistake and fended off Faster Lotus cars. Even with Wrong strategy in China, Spain he finished P4 which is his worst race finishing position of the season. Then when the car became dominant he extracted the Maximum out of it and no matter what every one say winning 9 in a row is not easy thing to achieve.
After 2013 i honestly say there is not much difference between SV and FA. SV has more time for him too which is a bit of advantage.
Is he great of Current yes with FA right beside him. but he was slowly pulling away from FA.
Is he great of all time Not right now. It will be decided 8-10 years after. But he is one of them right now.

Statistically, he'll probably become. That doesn't mean he's the greatest driver of all time. He's just a really good driver.

I respect Schumacher's way a lot more. He actually built a team to be great. He got people around him, he made a mid fielder dominant. Vettel did nothing. He came into F1 and the first year he was with Red Bull, they had the best car for the 2nd part of the season. Since then it's always been the best car and that's not thanks to him. If Schumacher had gone to a top team back then, he'd have a lot better records. It just seems that Vettel will stay in a top team for the rest of his career and that gives him a few years of advantage.

That's my personal opinion. :)

I think the current era of Formula 1 has cars that are very close in performance compared to the early days.

If Vettel manages to continue his triumphs at the current pace he will be the best ever and probably deserve it as well.

Sure Alonso is a good driver as well, but with only two WDC's under his belt the odds are not in his favor compared to the still very young German.

Can't recall any driver being a multiple world champion in a bad car.

I would still like to see Vettel changing teams, just out of curiosity for how he would perform when taken out of his element. He is very "looked after" by the whole rbr organization and they cater to his needs. If you put him in a more uncomfortable position, say Fernandos runnings with the abysmal Ferraris of 2012 or for historical reference, Senna with Williams, also a horrible car once the electronics where banned and also ended up killing him.

Vettels strength is mental, not in chance driving. His preparation and cold way of shutting off, reminds me a bit of Prost.

Statics-wise, maybe. He's certainly on his way.

Otherwise, I think stating a driver is the greatest ever is subjective. For some, he's already the greatest ever, For some, he will be. For some, he will never be. I don't know if I'll see him as the greatest driver, but I think when he retires he'll do so as a legend of the sport.

I'm used to getting things wrong, though :whistling:

I voted "yes" considering the part of the question wether Vettel is going to become the greatest driver. At the moment it's still Schumacher.

I think Vettel is so young but so far allready, it has to end up in a career which will be at least of the same quality like Schumachers career was. The only reason why I still rate Schumacher higher is Schumachers way of leading Ferrari from a middle class team to a multiple championship winning team.

I mean Schumi could have tryed to win as much titles as possible with Renault but instead he made a very brave move after winning "only" two titles.

I like to see something similar from Vettel. Not that I want him to make Force India a winning team but win titles somewhen in the future in another good team. Untill then, I'm happy to see him as much titles as possible with RB (nothing wrong with that).

Different cars, different eras. Statistics, in black and white will probably say "yes", but in actual pure driving talent.....will we ever really honestly know?

If Vettel was around throught the 70's 80's and early 90's how would he have faired.....like wise if some of the greats from then, Senna, Prost, Lauda...etc etc were young and around today.....how would they have compared?

no way

But Newey will be the best engineer of all times

Lemme get this right - you are dismissing his last 7 years of hard work and 100's of thousands of laps because of a few bad laps of a gimmick race?

Unfortunately, I cannot take your post seriously :laugh::roflmao:

You misspelled hard work of Adrian Newey, This video only explains one thing - if he racing with SAME car, he is not the best. And thats the point. Adrian Newey is KING, and his cars are breathtaking. Check this video again, Vettel is totally out if he doesnt have full downforce of RB car. Look at his traction loss, every racer knows that lost of grip = bad times in most of the cases. And with short wheel based car as KTM crossbow is, you must be so aware of this. And he just driftin around like a boss, he even damaged rear suspension of the car. Sorry, best driver in the world dont drive like that, and it doesnt matter if he drive F1 car or tractor. If you could see Senna how he raced even with NSX, just totally another level...
Sorry, Vettel is not best pilot and he never will be. He is probably not the best even in current grid. But you know, now when we have times where F1 is only about saving tires, with button overtaking, and with limited fuel where pilots can actually RACING few last laps, it is just... F1 is more show than sport now.

history is always being written, there is always someone better, he might top schumachers records, someone will then come along and smash his.... and lets be fair, he was also beaten by di-resta when in the same team in gp3 i think was it?

what your witnessing in F1 is the best team, machine, driver combination... not the "best or greatest" driver

then also look at schumacher, so many underhand tactics to achieve what he achieved, but not the best driver on the grid.... back to the question, the greatest driver ever? i think everyone can agree that is Senna, and will be for a long time

unless your basis the opinion on stats alone

My personal opinion is this:

Right now: No. He's not.
In the future: Very possibly.

He has the potential to become the G.O.A.T, but that's a long way off. I feel that once he proves he can win in an uncompetitive car then I think we can place him in the conversation with Michael, Senna, Prost, Clark and Fangio.

He's been truly blessed to be able to have the opportunity to drive machines designed by Adrian Newey. And has experienced an unprecedented level of success at a young age. That's not to say he only wins because of the car, because I believe his form this past season has proved himself to be the best driver in Formula 1. However, he also needs to struggle. And has shown glimpses of immaturity, and anger when things go a little pair-shaped.

If he can win the WDC in a car that's not .5-1.00 seconds faster than everyone else's, then I'll be 100% convinced he's in the conversation of the G.O.A.T

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back