V8 Worth getting?

Hey guys, as title says.....im about SR 3.6 at time of writing this so close to getting to officialy race the Vette (which I quite like). Do you think its worth getting or too much hassle getting to grips with the beast? :S hmmm....

Thanks guys,

I took the plunge and bought it and I must say on the few laps that ive driven I really quite like it. Im just using the default setup ATM until I have time to tinker with it but the car actually feels quite good to drive (not wild and spinning like most people say). About 1.5 secs off front/mid pack though so maybe im driving it a little to slow ATM :p We'll see tommorow.

Worst car in iRacing. I´d advise everyone to steer clear of it.

The flaws in the tire model are so apparent in this car, it´s not even enjoyable anymore for me. However, if you like some good old sliding at 200 k´s with the slightest touch of throttle, you might like it.

It's indeed not very hard to drive it on a reasonable pace. Once you really start pushing it gets akward. Especially the fact that you need to throttle quite a bit before the apex to make the car turn.

To me it feels wrong that you can slide your tires with the slightest power input at higher speeds, like T1 at Philip Island.

The opinions on the V8 vary a fair bit. A pretty big group dislikes it. Some are really into it. I enjoyed racing it at Philip Island a lot when it came out. But when I tried it at other tracks, It felt wrong. Personally I hope the tire model will fix it quirky behavior.

i thought V8 supercars have a fully locked diff, so it would make sense that it slides everywhere

True true, they have a locked diff. And yes, they should slide when you apply too much power. Now the slightest of gas makes the rear gently come around. The bad thing is that you need to use it to drive it like that. You are basically sliding through all the longer corners.

My complaint; slides a bit too early, and when it starts sliding it's 'easy' to keep the car in the slide and still be fast. Sliding should be slower, shouldn't it? I don't see them sliding that much on TV.

Shane van Ginsbergen, who's in the real V8 series also does iRacing. He said the car had too little grip at low speed, and too much at high speed.

Nevertheless, I can understand some enjoy it. It just doesn't strike me personally as realistic.

True true, they have a locked diff. And yes, they should slide when you apply too much power. Now the slightest of gas makes the rear gently come around. The bad thing is that you need to use it to drive it like that. You are basically sliding through all the longer corners.

My complaint; slides a bit too early, and when it starts sliding it's 'easy' to keep the car in the slide and still be fast. Sliding should be slower, shouldn't it? I don't see them sliding that much on TV.

Shane van Ginsbergen, who's in the real V8 series also does iRacing. He said the car had too little grip at low speed, and too much at high speed.

Nevertheless, I can understand some enjoy it. It just doesn't strike me personally as realistic.

Hmm, without knowing anything about this car, are you saying with a bit of practice you can actually drift the V8's around the corner Tokyo Drift-style?

Not quite 'Tokyo Drift-Style' but the car can be made to slide through the corners, but its by no means the fastest way around the track.

I've had one of my favourite races in the V8's at Road Atlanta, extremely hard fought and very fun. I think once you have the setup the car becomes very drive able and I don't often have problems with low speed grip. I did put a little video together, very rushed so its not great, but hey...I like it :p

That's a known issue with the existing tire model on all cars. Dave K has said the new tire model will address this issue. Guess we'll find out by mid-next week as at least 1 oval and 1 road car will get the new tire model for the season. I imagine it will be refined during the next 3 months and then rolled out on all or most cars in 3 months time.

Really looking forward to giving the new tire model a go.

Just bought it... I'm 1.1s off the WR after 1 hour of practice on Silverstone National... I dont think the car is very hard to drive... I think the mustang or the skip are harder. Might not be realistic, it's still fun nonetheless :)
Really enjoying it for now

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back