Tutorial - Beginner's guide to making rFactor AIW

Here's a reposting of the guide to making the AIW file I did that was up on our old RSC forum.

You’ll need to download the AIWCamera editor [rFactorAIWCAMEditor1255.zip]. Go to http://www.rfactor.net/index.php?page=devcorner where it's listed under:
Waypoint and camera editing tools
* Download v1.255 [zip]
Put the unzipped file [rFactor AIWCAM Editor.exe] in your main rFactor folder and double click it to run rFactor with the editor.

You also need the 'Dev' files folder - this is essential for the AIW editor to work, but for some reason is not included with the editor. It used to be at RSC, but I've put a copy up here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/agb595c/n/rF_AIW_Editor_DevFiles_rar
Unzip this to your main rFactor folder. It contains two folders:
DEVFILES - the folder needed for the editor to work.
AIW Editor Docs - contains screenshots of the editor plus another guide to using it.

You can also use the AIW CAM Editor by Guitarmaen to fine tune the AI. I didn’t use it myself as I found I could do all I needed using the rFactor editor. Get this from rFactor Central, it’s under Addons\ Mod tools. It doesn’t have to be in the rFactor folder, but you need to edit the rF_AIW_CAM.conf file to point to your rFactor installation.

Cheers,
Chub

Attachments

• laymans guide to aiw.pdf
    70 KB · Views: 5,703
if it crashing rfactor, that usally means something is wrong with the aiw file.

check garages,pits line,and the pit stop areas.

Rfactor : doesn't need all garages to be done, 1-2 is fine
gtl : needs all three garages to be done
gtr2 : has gtl above (me Assuming)
evo: not sure but seems to work with rfactor definition.but try 3 garages to be safe side
race07: has gtrevo
racer: unknown

• zerokiller

with the basic aiw from btb it works sweet,
when i do everything in the madcowie video, the way he does it, it seems to stuff up the reloading of the track,
no i was having a look around and it seems that the garages are on the track where the car starts (Not at the start or finish line but halfway around a corner)

I'm done a new export from btb and i'm going to test it out very soon to see if it works, i'll make a backup of the old aiw first, before loading it up.

thank you everyone for all your help

an update, i did everything you pointed out, and it still seems to crash, when loading for a weekend,
when i do the grid, i have it so there are 32 grids, and when doing the garages, i do 10/2 of them but over in another part of my track, i now have from 10/3 all the way up to 32/3 all in the same spot, is this ment to be doing this, or is there something im missing,

Here is the ziped up AIW file, thanks (Greenstonepark.rar)

Would it be easyer to send the track to one of you guys so u can have a look for me (its a New zealand Dirt track btw)

Attachments

• GreenStonePark.rar
    7.7 KB · Views: 639
Pits aren't set correctly, and your xsectors are not placed properly.
You need a pitlane and pit places. Also in BTB set your timing gates to be 33% apart. At the moment xsector2 is almost on the start finish line.

Yes, that's right, there isn't a pit path or a garage path. Did you set them?

It needs a pit path running past where the pit spots will be joined to the track at each end, and a pit extension from the garage spots on the infield to join the pit path at some point.

I don't know if that and RT1971's other comments are enough to make it crash, but the AI won't work without them.

About the garage spots, I think all garage/pit/grid spots are set on the start/finish line to start with when exporting from BTB as that's the only fixed point it has to put them on.

You won't like it but I recommend starting again. If you continue to be stuck by all means upload the track somewhere so we can take a look.

Good luck :)

• zerokiller

starting the track all over again, or just the AIW?

i can start the AIW all over again thats fine, and the track isnt 100% done its about 70% done, i just been wonting to get the AIW out of the way, so i can upload it to kiwidirt.com and have a few beta tests around it to make sure it runs fine befor adding buildings and tress.

delete everything within the [WayPoint] section of BTB generated YOURTRACK.AIW file, then start fresh. sometime when trying to just to update the original BTB created AIW file ... things get messed up.

This should be standard practice ... I like to begin with a revised.AIW file when entering the editor for the first time.

[Features]
pitlanes=0
startinggrid=104
pitspots=52
garagespots=3
auxspots=8
Features not needed but doesn't hurt to leave it

[GRID]
GridIndex=0
Pos=(-1185.431,-60.70585,-292.9043)
Ori=(1.381853E-07,4.71804046630859,0)
This is the only position you need to keep (BTB generated), and will ensure that you will start on the track and your car should not be bouncing ...
(That is, provided you had a sucessfull loading of your exported track to begin with)

[ALTGRID]
(deleted)
[TELEPORT]
(deleted)
[PITS]
TeamIndex=0
PitPos=(-1185.431,-60.70585,-292.9043)
PitOri=(1.381853E-07,4.71804046630859,0)
GarPos=(0,-1185.431,-60.70585,-292.9043)
GarOri=(0,1.381853E-07,4.71804046630859,0)
GarPos=(1,-1185.431,-60.70585,-292.9043)
GarOri=(1,1.381853E-07,4.71804046630859,0)
GarPos=(2,-1185.431,-60.70585,-292.9043)
GarOri=(2,1.381853E-07,4.71804046630859,0)
not really necessary to keep, but again no harm to leave at least the first spot ... you will be moving it anyway soon enough ...

[AUX]
LocationIndex=0
Pos=(32.065,-2.242,-32.929)
Ori=(-0.057,-0.725,-0.001)
LocationIndex=1
Pos=(32.065,-2.242,-32.929)
Ori=(-0.057,-0.725,-0.001)
I leave this here until I am ready to set it myself ... if you delete it ... you will find the pace car in the middle of the track if you forget to set it ...

[Waypoint]
(deleted)

• zerokiller

Hey guys,

i havnt had the time to get around to testing all this out,
so i did as DDawg told me to to above this post with the aiw, and now, everytime i go in to edit the track in AIW edit mod, my car starts in the middle of the track, But under the ground, and cant do anything, so thought it may have been my stuff up, went to BTB exported the track again, tested it, and same thing, im just not sure whats going on anymore,

im kind of lost, iv been trying for the last 4 hours trying to get it to work myself, im not sure what i am doing wrong, so i would like to know if one of you guys could help me out big time, maybe have a look at the track in game, and do the aiw for me, so i can see what iv been doing wrong,

Thanks

Make sure you export your track from BTB and select "Use First Node" ...

Also export it to a whole new track folder ... so you do not overwrite your original folder ...

This will create a new AIW file ... then you should try to luanch your track to see if you can drive on it...

Next, if it works, make a backup copy of your "Working" AIW file ... this way you always have something to fall back on...

I hope you didn't cut and paste the coordinates I posted ... they were just an example from one of my tracks ...

If you have adjusted the height of your track and did not redo your path for the AIW while in BTB ... this could have possibly caused the misplacement of the BTB Generated AIW point of origins ... (GRID & PITS)

Question on a overpass type track..i get errors and strange things going on in BTB.
speedstr_07

Open End / Point to Point

Hi together :o)

I´ve build a new Rallye-Stage (Point to Point) with BTB for rF. It´s near completion, but i have a problem now (nothing found in other Threads, sorry if the question has already been answered)

I´m working with BTB and AIWCAMEditor.

How do i get the finish line into the AIW (?) file? This should be logicaly different with the starting-line :o) But with BTB and the AIWEditor i am only able to work with closed circuits... right? :o(
Or do i have to change something in other files too?

Thx for your answer and many greetings from Germany ;o)

Hi there,

Sorry you haven't had a reply before, I was hoping someone who knows more than I do would answer! :lashes:

In rFactor the Start and Finish have to be in the same place as it's for circuit racing, you can't separate them. I think there was discussion about ways of getting round it, but I can't remember well as I only make circuits. That was probably back on the old RSC BTB forum, it might be worth going there and doing a search now it's back up again.

[ame]http://forum.racesimcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1171[/ame]

I have the explanation but in spanish.
Here it is. (Image at http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4500/timingwork.jpg )
.----------------------------------------------------------
Hay que hacer los gates de la pista de la siguiente manera
Start - by distance = 5.00
Checkpoint1 - by distance = 20.00
Checpoint2 - by distance = 40.00
Xfinsh - by distance = 60.00

Hay que exportar la pista normalmente.
Despues ir a la carpeta Track01 y renombrar los archivos xfinsh y xsector a
xfinish01 y xsector1001 y xsector2002

Dpues volver al BTB y acomodar los gates donde deben ir y volver a exportar cuidando de que en la carpeta de la pista queden sin borrarse los GMT renombrados.
pegar este codigo en el *.scn

Instance=Xfinish
{
Render=False Change=False
MeshFile=XFinish.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
MeshFile=XFinish01.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
Response=VEHICLE,TIMING
}
Instance=Xsector1
{
MeshFile=xsector1.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
MeshFile=XSector1001.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
Response=VEHICLE,TIMING
}
Instance=Xsector2
{
MeshFile=xsector2.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
MeshFile=XSector2002.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
Response=VEHICLE,TIMING
}

Yeah, PTP timing has a work-around (is posted at the old and new BTB forum) but I havn't piped up with that because I thought he was asking about AIW on a PTP track.

IIRC in order to use ISI's editor you need to be able to complete a lap, with PTP that would be impossible (you tag 2 laps on one stage & there's no way to loop).

I haven't looked into that because I'm not there yet in anything I'm working on from scratch. Anything I have edited was for online use, so wasting time on AIW was pretty pointless.

I would think you could create something by hand (as awful as that sounds). Not sure how BTB's AIW tools work for PTP tracks.

Hi all. I've got a track pretty much complete. Having trouble understanding the garage to pit connection. My garages are back behind the pits. The AIW start up fine. They are all parked in the garages. They can't seem to find the pit lane or the pit exit. They just start straight out of the garages and crash into the walls, trucks, or whatever is in front of them. Do I need a path for them to follow?

Hi all. I've got a track pretty much complete. Having trouble understanding the garage to pit connection. My garages are back behind the pits. The AIW start up fine. They are all parked in the garages. They can't seem to find the pit lane or the pit exit. They just start straight out of the garages and crash into the walls, trucks, or whatever is in front of them. Do I need a path for them to follow?

Yes, you need to add a pit lane extension as explained in the guide under RECORD GARAGE PATH. Don't forget to redo the corridors after you add it.
Without a path the cars just have no idea where to go.

I followed the tutorial video exactly but it never records my fast lines.

Quite frustrating.

First you drive down the middle, and save it as main path.

/

Then I spent ages recording countless fath paths, which it never saves.

So the A.I just drives down the middle, thinking the fast path is the main path.

Anybody have any ideas?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back