[suggestion] 3d Grass Color Shade Variety?

I hope this is a good place to reach Kunos, cause well first I have to say that stuff they showed us so far is just amazing! All kudos to Kunos =) Except well, with all the high quality gorgeous models and textures, one thing really pierces my eyes is how the 3d grass looks. Not much to the grass texture itself, but the lack of variety in shading..

abarth-21.jpg

Even if you CAN see the difference in color on the screenshots like those yellowish/brownish spots.. The problem is that they are too uniform.

In reality, no grass blade has the same "brightness" or "hue" cause it all depends on different factors such as: time in shadow, soil nutrition and water, air humidity, pressure (if it's being walked or driven over), and few more.. What it looks on the screenshots you showed us is that all blades are the same, and it looks very repeatable, bland, unrealistic and artificial, you name it..

klien.jpg

And brightness changes also come in "clumps" so to say, not uniform random "dots", but in a more (lets use the stupid word, but you know what I mean) "organic" way.

In some my tracks I tried to pay attention to this and make same texture with different brightness and WOW.. It just sets realism to a higher league!

clumps.jpg

I don't use grass everywhere like you, but just just on some pieces where it's thicker, but since you are using it everywhere this would help greatly! And of course, I had to hand plant the objects to create realistic/logical visible clumps, not just scatter uniformly. But I guess if I had better programming skills it could've been done through scripts too.

In this one I actually made the same grass texture but repeated it on a bigger texture with I think 10 versions of variety in brightness and color,(not very good performance wise), but generally it could be done (much easier) with other methods such as vertex painting or add/multi layers on top

I hope you'll see this and well this could serve as a tutorial for others too =)

PS. Kunos: what happened to that teamspeak you promised? Am I missing it somewhere or is it not there yet?

That is really fast Stefano:thumbsup: :
From the AC Facebook Account: Following some suggestions on Racedepartment.com forums, we have generated a new shader for grass textures to solve the lack of variety in shading. As you can see, the surface now is less compact and much natural. Grass detail still needs some work, but it doesn't look so bad to us. Thanks to Nothke for his good tip, have a nice Sunday.
703610_565435403482782_492861170_o.jpg

703897_565434523482870_490504781_o.jpg

I gotta admit, I never really noticed this grass effect until nothke pointed it out and when I read the thread I thought, well it would be nice but not a must have (I doubt I notice it while racing anyway ;)) but seeing this getting noticed by Kunos and implemented that fast is really epic. Thanks to nothke & Kunos!

Looks like the AC fanboys will rival the iracing fanboys for their fanaticism. :D

Heck with the tire model or the ffb, the most important thing in a racing simulation is how the grass looks. LOL. Like I said, this title will never be released if they worry about stupid stuff like this.

Hey Kunos! If you're reading this, to heck with a dynamic environment, I wanna see some grasshoppers in the new sexy grass model.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 142 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%