Steam Converting to a More Efficient Format ... Again

Hi,

I was impacted by the last time Steam tried to move Race 07 to the Common folder in September 2012.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/steam-race-07-on-gtr-evo-changes-on-01-09-12.55329/

Last weekend (24 August) Steam did it again. When presented with the option to convert Race 07 to the more efficient format, I declined, but meant Steam wouldn't let me play the game.

I had a backup of my files, so I selected yes and as expected Steam moved Race 07 from the username folder to the common folder.

This is where it gets really strange.

When I launched the game, it asks me to download and install the game. After this is completed, I go back to having a small 235mb Race 07 folder in my <username> folder, plus the game in the <common> folder. Upon launching the game (GTR Evolution), it creates a new "Race 07 Install Folder 2" in My Documents and runs the game from the <username> folder, using the "Race 07 Install Folder 2"

Exiting the game and relaunching GTR Evolution, it loads the game from the <common> folder, and uses the original "Race 07" folder in My Documents. I can tell it's loading from the different folders as each has different mods and tracks installed.

This behaviour of first loading the game from the <username> iteration of the game and then subsequent loads from the <commom> folder is consistent when launching Race 07 or GTR Evolution after a PC reboot. I also have the GT Power Pack and Retro Pack, but when launching games from those icons, it consistently loads the <username> and the "Race 07 Install Folder 2" version of the game.

So I effectively have 2 versions of the game installed

I've deleted all of Race 07 twice and reinstalled and same behaviour is exhibited. I would rather have only one install, preferably the <username> folder as that is where the GT Power Pack and Retro Pack are available.

Has anyone else been impacted this month by Steam converted to a more efficient format?

Thanks

I tried running EVO today after playing it last night. Steam said it had to convert the game to a "better" format (what gives them the right to change Simbin format?).

After conversion, the game will not run ("Steam Error"). Check game cache and 37545 files failed validation.

Way to go, Steam!!!!!

The conversion can be done simply. It takes a bit of time to update all the addon's you have but there are only a few steps to get going with your old profile.

It comes down to the same thing that they did last year. Move the "GameInstallDir" file from the Documents\\Install 2 folder to your Race 07 and delete the second install. You will have to reinstall all the Simbin product you own again. Any mods you have in your Games\<username>\ install will have to moved/copied/reinstalled in the \Common install as well as any "no bug" or visor mods.

Not bad really.

wouldn't be easier to uninstall everything and restart from scratch ? i know thats what i,m gonna do so no messing arounf with anything. btw if the game and its add-on goes to the common folder it also means that the game is gonna work like GTL so no need to start steam after the install right just need to copy the game content to another folder outside steam and voila no need for steam anymore ?

When I regularly said here or in any english or frenchspeaking forums: to avoid problems, remain Steam Off Connection.... I was sure nobody would listen to this good advice.

As I was sure Steam would begin again, I did it since their latest enormous mistake last year.
Sure that Steam wants all their games in Common folder, no matter what everybody says.

My game is intact and running perfect.

Last time, I reinstalled everything from scratch, including Steam itself with saving first my Documents/Simbin files. All other systems I tried gave ... problems.
And truly said, I think that now ... I should do the same: reinstall everything.
Surely the best solution.

I just had to completely reinstall everything. Basically, I had to clean up the mess that Steam created in the first place. Installing Race 07 and all of the expansions I own took me a good 2 hours or so, that's a LOT of time. Thanks a lot Steam. :mad:

However, game is starting up quicker for me. Don't know why, maybe it's this "more efficient format". :p I installed the 2012 V8 Supercar Mod, and works like a charm. Also, the files are now located on the Common folder and I now see ALL of the files of the game rather than just the mods files which can be confusing if you want to remove a mod because you will be wasting more time looking for the right folder to delete but I guess that's the way it has to be. :rolleyes:

Just a question for those who did the whole reinstall:
when having all expansions ( that 's my own case ), is the game still starting quickly or not, as all files are now visible and maybe or surely making the game much heavier ?

Of course, the advantage is all teams and tracks may be activated or not when using Sim Racing Manager.

Is the conversion totally safe now with all expansions without any mistake or problem ?

Until now, I kept my game safe using Steam Off connection ... but I'd like to help someone with a lot of problems due to 1st conversion.
The championship at our league is starting within 2 weeks ... and we have no time to create new mistakes in the game. .... It already happened last year, making a rather boring problem, especially for drivers with little knowledge of the game and Steam.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Full content added, only one track mod installed and I get a quick startup! Yesterday the "Exit" game button was responding to a location just off center to the button but it's OK now.

I think I will use the manager for mods with this <common> setup as folders are mixed and tougher to find.

Last thing to do, find that "no into" file and add it.

Another question: maybe silly one but who knows:

Using GCFScape and extracting the files to the new right place ? Might it work ?
Much quicker than downloading the whole content.

But therefore, I'd need to know more about the folders and files of the new converted full game.
as knowing for example: are all Teams from all expansions together in one only folder Gamedata/Teams ?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.0%