Season 8 Race 4 Montreal '79 - Drivers meeting Safety Special :)

There must be more than me that are nervous about tomorrow's race? The chance of something devestating happening is great! At the same time it will be an even more impressive acheivement from us all if we manage to get through it in one piece. Also, it now looks like we will be 21 drivers +/- as Gaetano, Jonas and Helder have become active on the servers.

The first great challenge is the start and t1. As the race director mentioned in his email, there is not room for more than one car at the time, and that means the further back the field you start, the earlier you will need to slow down. We all have to treat the start with an upmost consern for safety, and forget about gaining places. Remember, there is not room for two cars abreast, so don't rear end the guy in front if he "unexpectedly" slow down.

The second great challenge is not making a mistake in t1 55 times in a row x 20+ drivers = 1100 times. If you lose control you need to immediatly focus on cars behind and be ready to esc out of the race if you are in dannger of collecting more drivers in your misfortune. (obviously there are many other places where losing control of the car can be devestating).

Now, I think it would be a good idea if everybody replied to this thread before the race, saying that they are aware of the dangers and will be focused on avoiding them at all costs. I know that the more drivers that do this, the more my mind will be at ease and I think that goes for everybody. Also, if you happen to make a mistake in the race and have not replied to this thread beforehand, it does not look good, especially if the incident is relateable to the above warnings.

I am sorry for nagging so much about safety, but it is very important.

Also it is important that we all remember the new lapping guidelines which basically say that the faster car's plan should be to get close to the car he is about to lap and wait for a natural place to make a passing attempt. The car ahead will be expecting this, seeing you in his mirrors and will make the pass very easy for you. Or any other way as long as it is safe. But we should never see lapping incidents where the faster car seems to want to pass the slower car the same moment he catches up.

Agree to all points
For me there shouldnt be a problem to be ready untill tomorrow
Every driver simply has be aware of the fact that if he pushes too hard on this track it is most likely to make a mistake sooner or later and if that is in T1 there is a very high chance of ending the race in the wall, so ill try to be even more careful

I'm a good starter and usually can pick couple of places in the first 100m but i'll gladly give up the opportunities in the sake of safety. This almost a track where we should do manual formation lap and rolling start but that procedure needs alot of practice and there's no time. That's something to think about before putting it to the calendar next season. Rest of the season has FIA certified tracks so this is unique case. A good challenge indeed.

+1

Read and understood.

Keep in mind during lapping that around this track the faster guys won't be able to close up completely on the slower drivers tail without considerable danger. It would be good if people kept an eye on the track map, if somebody is 'patiently' hanging around a second behind we will need to pick our moments well. I would think the hairpins are an ideal opportunity to let someone through. If the slower driver leaves the inside open there should be little confusion.

Safe racing all.

Tim.

I think a seconds sounds like a lot Tim, and the car letting you past have to almost park the car in the hairpin. I have not problem staying safely about 0,3 seconds behind a car I want to lap, heck, I had Jim on my tail for many laps that close in his "Benny Hill" video.

I know you Aussies have a bigger lag issue than me, but I still think 1 second is way too much. At the same time I will not demand that you stay closer than you deem safe yourself.

I agree with everything mentioned in the first post.

I think as long as everyone has the same attitude through the first corners it will be fair for everyone, too. Would be looking bad if drivers try to benefit from the safe driving style of others.

Don't forget I talk about a close pack of cars through the first corners. If the field streches early and it's about a usual one on one fight without being surrounded by other cars, I wouldn't pull out in general. But I would be extra carefull because a mistake good be a huge danger for the following cars.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 109 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 82 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 114 13.5%