rFactor 2, worth it ?

Hello
I want to ask you if it's worth to buy rFactor 2. How could you compare this game vs F1 2012 ?
I mean gameplay / graphic, etc
The prices are 43.99 USD standard and 84.99 USD lifetime.
What would you advice me, guys ? Just in case i order it, which one should i order ?
Thanks in advance

Thanks. I tried that but it crashes rFactor 2 for me. Very probably because I have an AMD card :)

However, the latest build performs much better for me now so I'm not too worried about it. I'm finally playing with v-sych off and it feels like a different game. Far, far smoother than the previous two builds.

Ha ha.

I have a quadcore and a 7850 (so not far short). Not that it was noticeable for the previous two builds.

rFactor 2 doesn't like amd cards that much (as I gather from the isi forums) but 228 is significantly better for me.

The best to play a race game is with a wheel. :)

I know there are guys around who play with a gamepad and are bloody quick, so as long as you drive clean I don't see why you can't use a gamepad.
If it works with rF2? I have no idea, but if windows recognizes it it should be able to be configues within the game.

Can you use a gamepad: yes.
Would I recommend it: No.

While you can be bloody fast with a gamepad, it takes away all the immersion of this game away in my opinion. The force feedback is also fun on a good wheel.

Hi there,
Having only raced simbin games yet I came to realize that Race07 is bleeding out at various communities, which is understandable given it's age. So in the not so far future I see myself stepping over to another new sim. Been having high expectations from Simbin's new creation 'R3E', but every thing they say or don't say makes me doubt it more of ever being successfull. I've read and heared a lot of good about rF2 but does it really wipes the floor with R3E physicswise? I know that I might get totally different answers here then when I would post this in the R3E forum. But is there anyone here that has experience with both of them and wants to share his opinion with me? I know R3E is behind in development but I hear a lot of people state that rF2 and AC will become the future of simracing? Will it be worth the wait for R3E cause if it's not I'll curse myself for doing so. I have none experience with both games whatsoever...

I play both and find it hard to quantify the actual differences in driving dynamics. I really like the graphics and replay sounds in RRRE but, I really enjoy the driving in rF2 more. The handling and FFB have something extra that makes it more challenging to drive on the edge. Both will get better with time and fortunately, I have room for both. Of course, the ability to add mods with rF2 is a big plus as well. As far as AC goes, I think that will be a must-have too. Which one gets the most play-time remains to be seen but, I tend to get bored playing the same title after a while so having options is great.

RF2 is definitely worth getting.
That said, you'll need the patience of Job as ISI seem keen on not letting the community know where it's going or when.
The model physics is very good for most cars. I like the Camaro, Megane,and Clio best, the Corvette least. Initially the Megane was junk. It'd spin at 30 mph in a slow corner. ISI seems to have gotten a 'handle' on it.
The default tracks are well done but feels's are better with Poznan and Croft standing out in every aspect.
The sound, though not bad could use more samples. It needs backfires, gear take-up, more gearbox whine, brake pad squeal, etc...
It's a good product with lots of potential and innovation... but one that should have been much further along at initial release, given the total time in planning and development.
If you go back to the very first pictures and videos of the planned release, it was years before the beta.

I've read and heared a lot of good about rF2 but does it really wipes the floor with R3E physicswise? I know that I might get totally different answers here then when I would post this in the R3E forum. But is there anyone here that has experience with both of them and wants to share his opinion with me?
Hi Tim,
I have downloaded rF2's demo and i can say: im sold. Physics between R3E and rF2...pfff...both are very good but in the end i think that R3E is more forgiving than R3E...does that mean they have better physics? i do not know. With R3E im able to throw a Audi R8 around Bathurst which is a lovely feeling. Within the demo of rF2 i have noticed im not able to throw the car around corners, doing so result in a spin/ But that's probably my lack of expereince in rF2 than being physics wise.

I de-installed R3E a few weeks ago. I'd just had enough with it. Looks very nice and plays nice and smoothly on mine, but I didn't quite get on with the handling, and there is no way I'm going to pay the crazy prices for an on-line only game.

I asked about keeping fF2 in this thread a few months ago and was torn between getting a refund and keeping it. I actually got a refund in the end because I wasn't happy enough with the performance for the price. However, the handling nuances made it a very tough decision at the time.

I've since re-bought rF2 because the last two builds sorted the framerate issues I had.

So there's my answer. rF2 with all it's flaws is my choice compared to R3E. The handling, in particular the subtlety and sensitivity at the front end make my others racing sims feel a bit dull.

Tim, you're not with the back against the wall, you are facing the wall, all you have to do is buy:D.
Anyways, i have raced the Renault Megane on Malasia and it's hard. So far i have not been able to drive 10 laps without a mistake going off track. I have set the AI on 100%, no aids and im able to stay in front but only for about 6 laps. Im still struggling with the feel of rF2. For me its way different than Simbin's series. It's a completely different sim. Personally at this very moment i prefer Simbin cause that's what im used to. But i will keep on racing with rF2. I did not encounter bugs yet. To me this a very stable and good sim at the moment. Running a I7-860 @3,8 (HT off) with 8 mb corsair and a Asus GTX 580 im able to set all video option to the highest level. Two things i really do not like about rF2 is the info screen (just terrible!) and the voice (even worse). Besides that so far its a great sim. It can only get better:thumbsup:

Has there been any significant changes since the demo came out? I mean, that was just horrible.. FFB, graphics (i don't have a beast of a machine, i can do BF3 on high settings to give some comparison...), menus, sounds.. everything felt at 50% ready. After what two years in production my honest opinion was that ISI is going to be bankrupt in the next two years, the time it takes to finish the game...

So is there another intro package and has there been major changes (by major i mean MAJOR overhaul)?

No major overhaul since the demo got released and probably won't happend at once, just small improvements over time which will be a overhaul for you if you would wait a year or so. I'm not sure if it will ever reach 100% for you if you are now on 50%:p
Thankfully for me because of this game I have no real interest in racing any of the racing games I previously owned because of rf2, for me rf2 is way ahead on them on the physics and FFB side, and the features that are implemented which are crucial for a real race experience (realroad etc).

Well, the engine is not optimized properly to demand such a high system requirements.. The tracks are from rF, no more complex. The car models are the same range, nothing there either. It could be that rF2 is only aimed at those who have top notch rig and huge amount of cash just lying around. With average gear the message from ISI seems to be: "stay out, we don't want to play with you." The average gaming computer is not even yet i3 series, we only have that misconception living in EU that it's i7 or nothing. There's literally millions of gamers from Asia that still go with single cores.. So aiming at high now seems like the stupidest strategy ever. Lower spec games are enjoying a success.

Well, the engine is not optimized properly to demand such a high system requirements.. The tracks are from rF, no more complex. The car models are the same range, nothing there either. It could be that rF2 is only aimed at those who have top notch rig and huge amount of cash just lying around. With average gear the message from ISI seems to be: "stay out, we don't want to play with you." The average gaming computer is not even yet i3 series, we only have that misconception living in EU that it's i7 or nothing. There's literally millions of gamers from Asia that still go with single cores.. So aiming at high now seems like the stupidest strategy ever. Lower spec games are enjoying a success.

Greetings Kennett :)
I think the Corvette is the only ISI car left atm which I really don't like at all; since you spoke about not liking the demo. I think I would not like it either if I was using that to try the game, but I mostly really like the actual game :D

About the reqs:
I used the game for the most time with my Core 2 Duo E8400 which I got for about 40€ from ebay a couple of years ago, together with my HD6870, which is a last-generation mid-range card.
It was fine for running the game on mostly high-settings with 60-90 fps on all the tracks that were available back then.

A key thing for me with this GPU was (and still is) to not use reflections and not too much AA, this way it was very stable.

I upgraded later to an i5, but still using the same GPU and got a fps boost of about 40-50% with the same settings, running at a pretty much fixed 120 fps now, so I think the sim is quite CPU heavy.

I'm personally not feeling left out because I pass on some effects to reach my desired framerate for low input-lag fluid gaming, until I got a better GPU sometime in the future.

And since you mention millions in asia; I'm pretty sure that rf2 isn't exactly a mass-market game. It definatly woudn't be the case with low system reqs either :)

Even though you are defintaly right about car-models not beeing that special and track-models neither (until Silverstone and Mores came around ;) ), I think aiming at high now in theory is still a logical thing when you plan to have the game around for many more years to come, therefore having the system-req. problem slowly solving itself over time :D

I got curious about RF2, was never a fan of RF1, but big fan of NKP and AC, also like Race 07/GTR evolution a lot.
Downloaded the RF2 demo this week end, I have a CSR Elite and found the demo almost undriveable.
So, since I have little time to waste and I am familiar enough with the different SIM to set up my wheel without doubting my ability, the demo is already uninstalled.
Been there done that with real (use the term loosely) feel.
To me, the emperor RF2 has no clothes.
emperors-new-clothes.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 153 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline