RDRC S5 Round 1 - Rally de Monaco (2nd - 5th March)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok then here's BobSport (Wales) Rally Teams' report of the event!

Pre Event:
This was defiantly not going to be a good event from the outset. Couldn't get a setup that really worked and the hi powered Civic is not the choice for extremely low grip tar with snow tyres! So the aim was to keep it cool and finish all the stages!

On Event report:
SS1 - Bisanne - Appalling condition and that little extra snow coming a bit to late for the tyres! DNF about 1km from the end, there goes the game plan!

SS2 - Joux Plane - Conditions were better and the grip was a bit better. But. About 2/3rds through the stage, after the 400 straight, plowed into the barrer flat in 6th! another DNF! Major game change needed.

SS3 - Foron - 'Virgin' Snow at last! Could really push, despite a few nudges of the barriers was a good stage and quickest 2WD.

Service - Disappointing start but SS3 shows promise for later.

SS4 - Bisanne - Better conditions thankfully bought better grip, could push a little (along with mental notes of where not to go off from last time!) but not much still had a spin along the way. Happy to finish.

SS5 - Joux Plane - Was enjoying the first run untill the incident so enjoyied it again, just took a little more caution through the fast sections, good time, 1st 2WD again I believe.

SS6 - Foron - Was going well untill a CFH after rolling near the end, bit of suspension damage (but not noticable in the snow almost!)

SS7 - Cote d'Arbroz - Went well despite the previous damage.

Service - Getting better pushing well and making up some time despite the CFH.

SS8 - Peklo - Don't like this stage, to many hidden dangers so very caustious. Learnt my lesson! Had a full 360 deg spin and had to reverse on one H/P but no biggie.

SS9 - Joux Verte - My fave French stage! But not in these conditions! Very very very hard stage resulting in one small spin into a down hill H/P but I loved it!

SS10 - Mlynky - Another stage im not a fan of. Finished the stage on my door, litterally! Says it all really. CFH on 60R tho with crowd in stupid place!

Service - Last service, getting better despite the 2 early DNF's only 1:50 behind Jani, bit much mabye but think I can close the gap!

SS11 - Peklo - Went good, no spins mistakes etc. Happy.

SS12 - Joux Verte - Went well, better conditions helped on my fave stage!

SS13 - Mlynky - Same CFH as last time! and had an off down the bank but got back up to the road. Really dont like these!

SS14 - Cote d'Arbroz - POWER STAGE - Last stage! Was going for broke if anything. Kept it smooth and got around 6sec faster than my previous run! Despite being in the wet rather than dry!

Post Rally:
Well although it didn't go as planned, I enjoyed it more than I thought! Very tough conditions, especially in a FWD/2WD car but managed to beat some of the RDRC-2 guys on some stages so pleased with that ;). Time for a bit of a well earned break for the team now and well see you in Round 2! Thanks to all in their effort in putting on the event, and my fellow competitors!

Nice scenic shot for you!

RichardBurnsRally_SSE2013-03-0522-00-20-09_zps1262a949.jpg

Sion

This rally was always going to be a difficult rally for team and it proved so. I had a good pace all rally manage to keep up and even beat jundt in terms of stage times. But i made 3 small mistakes, all of then are light contact with trees and post but it's enough to kill the engine. A part from that i am happy with the pace both with me, my team-mate and our new car which i still learning. I think we will do well on the snow rallies with this car. Need to replace the windscreen just can't see anything in the dark. So i got time to work on it.

Apart from having to use 3 unnecessary CFH(Too fast and understeered off in one Monte Carlo Mod run, trying a hairpin handbrake turn and ending up going shallow, thus drifted down to where I couldn't get up again and finally put the car on the side at the a fast kink on the first Mlynky run), it was a decent start to the season. Had some other oft-road moments but managed to get back.

Happy having finished all stages:)

But I guess I wasn't very fast, and to add insult to injury, the suspension/steering got damaged on the second Peklo run, which made the car pull left. After another excursion, it was even worse and I had to take it "easy".

My "Co-Driveress" wasn't amused when I tried to turn over the car:(

"I said I was turning the roadbook page, not telling you to turn over the car!":mad:

The default times on Foron seems a bit odd. Some drivers have gotten a 7:30, some others a 9:30. Is this one of the stages with a difference between skipping and retiring?

The default times on Foron seems a bit odd. Some drivers have gotten a 7:30, some others a 9:30. Is this one of the stages with a difference between skipping and retiring?
Looks like it. I will be changing that to 9:30 for all, as 7:30 is almost faster than everyone who finished.

EDIT: already received some corrections, so these are far from final :D

A bit of a late report from me. It's my first RDRC season so I spent a fair amount of pre-season testing choosing cars, so I was confident heading into this rally with the main aim just to finish cleanly. I had tested some of these stages and knew it would be tough because of the conditions, but in a lower powered Group N 4WD I thought I should be ok. :thumbsup:

SS1 - It was very low grip and it felt like I was going so slow, I still managed to understeer slowly off one bank about halfway through and after about 30 secs of trying to get back up the marshalls decided I need help, so wasted about 1 min all up :rolleyes:, not a great start with a CFH.

SS2 - Still very slippery, so I took it even more carefully braking early, not throwing the car around too much, etc.

SS3 - Really enjoyed this stage, it felt great to drive, no dramas.

-----------------------

SS4 - Second time around was much better, more grip, more confidence & no dramas, over 90 seconds quicker than SS1.

SS5 - Same as above, more grip and improved about 40 secs on SS2

SS6 - Very enjoyable stage again, lost a little time when I went off fast near the end but missed all the trees and got back onto the road ok.

SS7 - I love the France stages, it doesn't matter what conditions they are, they're always fun to drive. No idea how quick I was though :D

-----------------------

SS8 - Very skinny stage with lots of hidden traps, ran over a few tyres but was ok.

SS9 - Was looking forward to this one, but a half second lapse of concentration only a few corners in when I braked too late and crashed hard into some wooden barriers which instantly killed the engine. DNF :(

SS10 - I skipped this stage because if I understand the rules correctly, my DNF on the previous stage meant this whole stage would be an automatic retirement to repair my car. If not, I really should have driven it then, lol.

*EDIT* Looks like I was wrong with the rules and should have driven this stage, doh! Cost me about 5mins :roflmao:

-----------------------

SS11 - I felt quicker than SS8, but had another fast off near the end, missing trees again, but cost me about 20secs getting back onto the road.

SS12 - Loved this stage, pretty slippery, but all those back to back hairpins were so much fun.

SS13 - Was pretty careful here, clipped the bank a few times, but got home ok with minor bent steering.

SS14 - Fun to drive again, about 5 secs quicker than SS7

All up I had a great rally apart from my 1 annoying mistake, which cost me badly. Thanks to the organisers and bring on the next event!

Well done to Norbert for doing a great job for the team, hopefully i will bring some points at 8th overall. How does the points system work? Im sure ive read it somewhere but my memories awful!!
Probably in the rules somewhere :p

Top 10 per class.

1st - 25
2nd - 18
3rd - 15
4th - 12
5th - 10
6th - 8
7th - 6
8th - 4
9th - 2
10th – 1

So 4 points for you.

Really good start to the season for me and the team. My first podium of any RD Event, really glad it's this one. :)

And an overall point too, which moves me up to Grade 2 next season - a very cool way to start.

A clean drive from Corey nets us 21 points for the team championship as well. Which puts us in a pretty good position for the season.

:thumbsup: Really happy with the results.

Congrats to all those who scored podiums, points, and to all those who finished. And thanks again tot the organizers.

4th in class what els can i ask for. for such a tough rally. and my first time to do foron.. i have done foron 2 and i though it was foron. and i can tell how much time i lost on that stage. and peklo.. now lets wait for the next round...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back