RDRC S3 Round 2 - Coffs Harbour Rally (06 Aug - 10 Aug)

Status
Not open for further replies.
great work on the tables again, Norman, congrats to all podium finishers and each team scoring points. My teammate Roman and me finished with just 10secs between us, call it consistent teamwork :) we actually grabbed the last points on offer in grade2, so very happy here.

This rally was a disaster for me, right from the start when I almost didn't make the rally, and continuing thru day 1. Right off the bat, not even 1km into SS1, I had a minor off and popped my radiator. This caused a retirement on SS2. Then on SS5 I had a really big off. Just made a mistake at speed, hit the wall and got chucked into the trees. Lost my brakes and broke the transmission, so I couldn't go or stop. Another retirement.

I really lacked concentration last night, I just could not stay focused.

The only positive thing was that I was able to keep my frustration level to a minimum and day 2 was fairly mistake free. Slow because I lost my confidence, but being able to shrug off the retirements and keep a clear head to get whatever points I could was satisfying. Normally after binning it twice my frustration snowballs until the rally is a throwaway, so I was glad to keep a clear head to salvage enough points to stay in the class lead. It is clear I am going to need the head start with some fast guys coming in! :)

Grats to Jani, what a blistering pace set in the Civic. And grats my teammate Troy for his 2nd place class finish, really nice showing there, sorry for missing it!

Of course grats to all the winners and podium finishers, and a huge thanks to the administrators for the best RDRC yet!

Weee :D I am was really happy when i saw myself at the top of the table. 4th place in round 1 was ok, but did to many mistakes, without some of them i could easily be on the podium.

This time (round 2) I was not very well prepared, had barely tested the car on gravel this season, especially not on tarmac with gravel tires. So i decided to do some shakedown on the mixed surface, but did not get a clean run. I was attacking too much, and didn't even get to the finish line, when the clock was closing on 2115 (local time) I had to register for the rally and take an easy start.

Needed to get the feeling before I could push harder. After half the first day, i was really satisified with my mistakefree runs. And the speed was ok, still not pushing max. As the rally enrolls I was pushing harder and harder, and had very good speed into day two and at the end I was a litle too fast, with a couple of spins and a litle off track, lost in total 40sec. I think.

Therefore I was not expecting a win, i would be happy with top 5. But wow, I won! :D

And on top of that the other topp placers from last round was almost gone from top 10, giving me a very good lead, especially in my class. Got all my luck with me in this rally.

Thanks for the competition guys and congrats to rest of the podium. Need to mention Gabor, wich I had a close fight with, you made med push for stage wins! :)

And thanks to the organizers for very quick results. Great! Looking forward to some video highlights!

Race Report.

Race Report from Team JME - Academy

After a very successive round 1, rookie driver Daniel Tønsberg was offered a seat in a brand new S2000 JME Ford Fiesta.
Driving with the goal of becoming a better driver Daniel accepted the seat as was ready to prove himself.
Due to full teams and a season late season start, it would mean that Team JME - Academy would not be able to score any points in the team championship, but driving for the sake of learning, it didn't mean much to the team.

With not much practice and a whole new world driving 4WD it was about to get serious for the young driver.

Day 1

SS1
Due to being very nervous, the first stage was a disaster without liking. The car was acting up real bad and traction wasn't the best. The team wasn't impressed with the first stage.

SS2
Still abit nervous, Daniel was making stupid mistakes losing alot of time. Due to some minor offs in the first stage the car was slightly damage in steering making the fast speeds in tarmac very dangerous.

SS3
A better run, the car was more controllable but steering just as bad before the mid day service. The stage was completed in a very easy pace, taking it slow not to damage the car any further. The big jump at the end had a bit hard landing misjudging the elevation. Luckily the car didn't break before the finish line.

SS4
After trying a new setup on the car and service the team drove with more confidence than the first 3 stages. It was starting good after service, only a minor mistake that cost a few seconds.

SS5
The long technical stage of East - West was met with great confidence in the stage, the setup of the car still wasn't the way Daniel wanted it but he pushed hard. Harder than he could handle and i ended up in a very close call, being all shook up he made yet another even closer call, just clipping the orange safety net almost sliding off down the steep hill into the woods.
Just seconds after this incident with the goal to make up lost time yet another disaster struck, a turn got clipped and it ended up in a roll into a tree ending up facing the wrong way on all 4 wheels. This was more time lost on a stage with had confidence in to begin with.

SS6
The last stage of the day and the least liked stage in the whole rally. With a damaged car the team drove safe but with the goal to gain some lost time, had a few close ones but at the end of the stage a note was misheard and it ended up face first straight into a tree wrecking the engine and gearbox, the team was prepared for a retirement, but somehow Daniel managed to get out of the tree and drove the rest of the stage in 3rd gear finally getting to the finish losing a couple of minutes due to the big crash.

Day 2

SS7
After the less than impressive first day the car was finally perfectly set up to this rally. The team drove hard pushing the limits to gain lost time to competing driver Chris Williamson. Daniel ended up smashing his time on this stage from day 1. Finally things where going the right way.

SS8
Being just in reach of Chris, Daniel pushed even more making a close to flawless stage yet again. The car was perfect on the tarmac/gravel mix stage setting another improved time from day 1.

SS9
Having alot more confidence in the car and finally on a good roll the team continued its great pace throughout the day setting a great time on the Mineshaft stage. The jump at the end was approached even slower this time, barely lifting the tires from the ground.

SS10
Still new to the car Daniel made an unbelievable silly mistake at the GO hitting the sequential shifter the wrong way making the car go in reverse at the start line. Eager to make up for the lost time the limits was yet again pushed beyond comprehensions and it led to a fatal roll in 150km/h halfway through the stage. Luckily only the chassis was damage in the roll.
SS11
East-West was up again, but this time the car was set up the right way making this one of the best runs the whole rally. Daniel had a nice fluid run setting a personal best on stage.

SS12
Being just seconds ahead of the next driver the team recommended a easy approach to this difficult stage. Being very close to making the same mistake as on day one, Daniel just barely managed to away hitting the same tree making this a more successful run.

Daniel Tønsberg of Team JME - Academy ended up 8th in the production car lineup and a overall 20th place this rally. The team is very pleased with his progression and is looking forward to the next round of RDRC Championship!

That was a fun rally :D I had a blast in the S2000 Ford Fiesta. I see I still have some way to go before I can start comparing my times to the best drivers in my grade.
It was difficult in the beginning, until i just drove to have fun.
I just recently switched my sequential shifter from shifting up, pushing away, to shifting up, pushing towards. So i made a few mistakes with my gear throughout the rally (the worst being the reverse at GO in SS10 =P )
Again im very pleased with my position, I didn't count on being any higher, it was far above any expectations I had before the rally.
And Daniel showing his rapid promotion to Grade 2 was justified.

Thats awesome coming from the winner of my car class :D nice to read. Im going to practice even more now proving my worth in the production class.

Id like to say thanks to my team again, Rick being super nice, helping me with becoming a better driver, Simone helping out with setups and Damien for making a super nice skin for my car.
Thanks to Nigel,Chris and Dariusz(did I forget someone ?) for making great company on TS throughout the rally. And the great competition me and Chris had, it was super fun and he really helped me to push harder.

Again a very successful rally championship round and well done to those involved in making this happening and the podium winners.

Ill see you all again the next round meanwhile drive safe!

-Daniel

*Edit*
Here is replays! CLICK
Due to me being very nervous the first stage I forgot to save my replay :S hope its cool, nothing fun went on there anyhow, I drove like a moron >.<

Congratulation to all class winners and podium finishes, WD everybody else :).

It was very enjoyable drive for me, i really like all the AUS stages. Not much practice due to commitment in other leagues but i didn't need much anyway, having driven on it in club events :). Weather come to be very good too, so perfect condition all round :).
Done two major mistakes, one on ss2 when i went too hot at the end of the straight in to the 90deg left hander, missed it and stoled the engine, with about 10 sec lost. Second mistake cost me well in excess of 30 sec on ss11, when i slided off and rolled the car.
Still, nice to get 4th in the end:cool:, frustrating to lose podium at the very end:rolleyes:.

Big thx to all involved in making the championship possible, RD and all drivers.
Off to the next one:D

It was a great event in Oz and worthy of a report:

Day one was a bit of a blur, this was due to the night before. The crew and I went into the local town for a meal, turned out to be quite an evening. We bumped into some of the other crews and went for a drink, I don't want to get too into what occurred, but all I am saying is Team Slavic we have the pictures of you in THAT club doing That dance (you should be a shamed)..
and later on, at around 2am we saw the JME Rookie/Super team crews hurtling down the main street in what can only be described as 'loose formation' doing about 50mph in several 'acquired' shopping trollies.
They were last seen ducking into a side street giggling and screaming 'Speed is our friend', closely followed by the boys in blue.
We got back to the motor-home around 4 am and thought we would turn in for an early night and declined the polite offer of a few beers by our friendly local teams who were just lighting the barbie and preparing for a little sing along round the fire. Thanks team Australis

So there were no real problems driving on day 1 apart from a suspected punctured tire before ss4, luckily I carry about four spare around my mid-rift so we were ok.

The evening went ok apart from being woken-up around 5am when (a possible drunken) argument was apparently being settled by representatives from Team love& Hate/OGL and Team blue flag racing/Smouldering biscuits as to which team was quickest round the paddock on the pit buggies (This situation was not helped by Teams Nijo and the Yankess cheering them on and motivating them by throwing burgers as they past).
Just before scrutineering a rather annoyed Adam Jonas was to find the burning pimped-up, pickled-dil and relish splattered Factory Ford pit buggy some 2ks into the outback.
There was apparently mutterings from a few hung-over mechanics, during the day, that it was Ford's fault as it allegedly had under-steer problems when carrying 8+passengers.

Day Two was not so good, it started with a serious inter team communication problem, and then ironically a comms problem to top it all off.
We at Team DMM (privateers, 1 driver) have learned a lot over our short stay in WRC, and it will be no big surprise to the professionals that communication is the key. My mistake was (and if I'm honest I still can't actually see it..) apparently when my girlfriend said, 'Yes honey you go and play on your computer again leaving me sitting here bored stupid watching crap TV' what she actually meant was 'NO'. Well, lessons learned...

So into the stages and by SS3 I got into a rhythm. Unfortunately the rhythm was Coldplay (the horror)due my Co-driver hitting the Mp3 player instead of the intercom. This didn't slow me down, and in fact according to my girlfriend it has made me a more open and thoughtful person, I have since been on an emergency AC/DC diet and back to my thought-less self...

It only leaves me time thank the big man above!
(That's Bob, lives above the Scooby workshop and kinda does security for us, bit dim but good at lifting heavy weights, cheers Bob!)

Also here is a transcript of an interview I gave after Coff's to a local radio reporter, due to the language barrier it didn't go too well or last long (I obviously mean no offence to our colleagues down-under, simply a language problem).....

Reporter:
Hey there fella, right scorcher?

JC:
O right, yes it is fairly warm.

Reporter:
Looked like your cooking with gas?

JC:
I'm sorry, but I am the driver, I didn't even know the team owned a cooker ..

No Reporter:
mate, I'm a journo, I was just looking at yer donk she's pretty spiffy.

JC:
Listen, as far as I am concerned this land of yours is a free country and you can be in whatever religion you want, Journo, whatever that is... or even a jedi, but I MUST draw the line when a man looks at another man's Donk !! ?? .

Reporter:
Look mate, no need to spit the dummy.. fair dinkum I've made a dogs breakfast of this, I'll nick off

JC:
I'm doing what? Fairy who?? What dog, I don't see a dog??? What????
He left after that..

Donk An engine for a car or boat.
Dogs Breakfast A real mess - crap!
Dinkum Real - honest or genuine [fair dinkum]
Cooking with Gas Proceeding as expected or better, all OK!
[FONT=&amp]Fair Dinkum[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]Good - honest - truthful.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Journo[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]Journalist = Newspaper Man or Women.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Nick Off[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]Go away, get lost, buzz off, leave[/FONT]
Scorcher A very hot day
Spiffy, pretty spiffy Dolled up - looking good - great
[FONT=&amp]Spit the Dummy[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]Get uncontrollably [very] upset at someone or something.[/FONT]

Looking at Jari's times in that Civic. Man, we were close! On my fun-run with the Clio N3 I ended up with an overall time of 59:08,22. Impressive speed in that Civic, man :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 339 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 8.0%