RDHGP S5 - Round 2 - Knutstorp - 13th May 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
Welcome back to Round 2 of the RD Historic Grand Prix, Season 5

I think that Round 1 went fairly well, a lot of new faces, good feedback about the car / track choices and most importantly, the racing itself. Switzerland had a generally positive debut into the RDHGP schedule.

It seems that the people who had a less than perfect race were more frustrated by missing out on the racing that was available, rather than by any lack of points return, and that is very encouraging, and augurs well for the rest of the season.

I received no Incident Reports (a good thing, imo), but as we are still working things out and getting re-attuned to League protocols, a few items came up that I’d like to just remind you all about again. Nothing too bad, merely a reminder of the expected behaviour as we move from the very much Happy-Go-Lucky world of the GTL Club, to the only slightly more serious GTL League.

• Do not sit on track typing your chat in Practice, even if you think you're in a "safe" place. Escape back to the pits and do it if you want to chat. A stationary car can be a nasty surprise for people suddenly encountering it, and a stationary Driver Name Tag is another distraction, all of which can cause issues for people for no real reason.
  • No Chat During Qualifying. That includes when the timer drops to 00:00, as it doesn't roll to Race straight away, and people could still be on a lap.
  • No Chat until all drivers have finished their race, which is not necessarily the same time that you finish your race.
  • After an accident, if your car is particularly damaged / undriveable, stay off the racing line while you assess the damage, and quit as soon as you realise that your car will not be controllable or on the pace to be safe enough to get back to the pits for repairs.
  • No light flashing during the Race. Some people mentioned to me that they thought they saw some. As there were no official reports, this is just a reminder.
For Round 2, we depart the Swiss Alps and move North East to another RDHGP debutante venue – both country and circuit – the AB Motorbanan Ring Knutstorp, in Kågeröd, Sweden.

knutstorp.jpg

Circuit Notes

Ring Knutstorp is a short course circuit situated in Kågeröd, in the extreme south of Sweden. It is approx 40 km from Helsingborg, which itself sits on the Øresund – the strait between Sweden and Denmark. The name will no doubt put some extra expectation on one of our drivers... Torp (I am reliably informed) means “Croft” or small farm.

Knutstorp first opened in 1963, with a shorter layout & length of just 1.1km (0.7 miles), the original track comprising of the “middle third” of the current circuit. It was extended in 1970 to double the length – 2.2km / 1.4 miles – and then altered again in 1979, although less drastically, the reprofiling of a single corner slightly dropping the length to 2.1km / 1.3 miles, and the circuit we will be driving.

Like so many of the Scandinavian circuits, Knutstorp packs a heavyweight punch from a bantamweight size. 13 corners in a short, just over 1 minute lap, where no corner is really like any other, testing bravery, patience and set up. Again, like Neuveville, it has the “must-have” feature for me - well implemented and utilised gradient.

Knutstorp starts with a relatively short straight, with the S/F line near the beginning of it rather than towards the end, so much so that some of the lower placed qualifiers will find themselves lining up around the last bend rather than on the straight itself. Knutstorp sets it’s stall out almost immediately with T1R and T2R, Startkurvan. T1R is a simple and fast corner, but that actually increases the degree of difficulty rather than simplifies it as, once negotiated, the much tighter T2R immediately forces some heavy braking to get round it, but is itself followed by a “straight”, so exit is all important. To get it right, there is a delicate balance of speed through T1R, enough early braking to negotiate T2R (while braking late enough to not get passed yourself), and a good exit onto the straight to maintain momentum.

T3R, & T4L are gentle curves, that gently dip and then climb again, all the while under heavy acceleration. These are great fun to throw the car through, but are almost sucker punches, designed to get you on the edge of control for the extremely tricky T5R, Krönet.

Krönet (I’m no amateur linguist, but I’m guessing something to do with crowns here) is a blind crest, and extremely deceptive. You can see some track rising beyond that blind crest, and it looks almost like a straight, but once you actually clear the crest, you see that the turn goes further right than you thought, and that there’s a medium-quick speed left (T6L) at the bottom before you reach that straight. Most off circuit excursions, and therefore most Stop & Go penalties, will be caused by this little complex.

T7L is a tight, climbing, uphill lefthander, where it is very easy to outbrake yourself and lose whatever momentum you managed to carry through the Krönet & T6L complex. You accelerate up the slope until you reach the crest, when it’s time for some heavy braking into the corner that will test your set-up and patience more than any other.

T8R, Hårnålen, is a tight, constant radius hairpin, which feels like it takes forever to get round. There is no camber on the corner, so any impatient acceleration will likely result in a spin, and a far more costly (in time terms) recovery process. Exiting Hårnålen, there is a short blast on the downhill straight (running parallel to the uphill one that was the Entry) and into T9L, an off-camber 90º left hander that can be attacked quite aggressively.

Another short straight follows, itself followed again by heavy braking into T10R, a 90º right hander. This in turn leads into a short downhill squirt which culminates in T11R, Liton.

Liton was the corner that was re-profiled to shorten the track in 1979, and while it is now slower to negotiate itself than it’s old shape, the re-profiling means that once the initial corner is cleared, the final complex can be attacked much more aggressively.

T12L is a shallow left hander, taken with a dab of brakes or a lift between hard acceleration, which then opens out onto the short stretch of road where the back of the grid may begun their race, out of sight of the Start/Finish line, and the final turn T13R, a fast kink onto the straight and over the line.

And that is the very essence of Knutstorp – a gallon of fun in a pint sized glass.

knut_lod_0K6.jpg

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

· All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting.

· T5R – Krönet. As per the description, this curve is a splendid deception of crests, dips and foreshortening perspective. There is likely to be a few offs in this area, so be prepared if you are following someone closely for them to go off, and try to re-enter the track. If they do not do so safely, please file report. Additionally, there is a likelihood of contact through here if emergency measures are taken by drivers. Drivers being forced off track here is not going to win you any friends.

· T8R – Hårnålen. The very flat nature of the hairpin will induce some spins by the impatient. Again, be prepared if you are following closely, as there is a possibility of people spinning and coming to rest bang in the middle of the track. Also again, if you yourself spin, manouever in as safe a way as possible, do NOT try and respin yourself while there is oncoming traffic. If you have to wait until the back of the pack before you can SAFELY move, so be it.

· T10R – No Name 90º. There are close barriers around this corner, which can easily throw a stricken car around and onto the racing line.

· All points on the track – General Items
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the race.
The Track must be re-entered safely so as not to ruin other peoples races.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.
This is likely to be one of the longer 100km races of the season with relatively low average speeds, so be prepared, and adjust your driving accordingly.
Incidents, Investigations and Penalties
There are 2 “No-show” infractions now being levied on Drivers after Round 1.

Fernando Rees
Michal Mroczek

There has been an alteration to the Non-Reporting, No-Show infraction procedure, as detailed at length in the Intro & Info Thread, which means that the infraction will only be carried for 1 race instead of 4, and will then be rescinded. Any further No-Shows from the time the infraction is lifted onwards will result in removal from the League.

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.)

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries

You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System

I have extended the points distribution method down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.
The Distribution is as follows for 100km events :

P1 - 25 pts
P2 - 22
P3 - 20
P4 - 18
P5 - 16
P6 - 15
P7 - 14
P8 - 13
P9 - 12
P10 - 11
P11 - 10
P12 - 9
P13 - 8
P14 - 7
P15 - 6
P16 - 5
P17 - 4
P18 - 3
P19 - 2
P20 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

not much to say about this one, tried to safely follow a lagging Roman Kruszewski but got caught by the lag when his car froze and i hit it sending me into the sand and game over.
Think this is 2 races in a row that the same car has been jumping around like a headless friggin chicken with lag :frown:

got 14th place and some good points.
My first half of the race was a bit messy and i made some mistakes. But the last 15 laps i was really on it and overtoke some people.
At one point i came up to Gary and i was thinking man oh man you are a hero keeping that car on the track... well done mate
Thanks bob,Hans,Manuel for some great fights.

Thanks all see ya next race

Wow, that was crazy. I am surprised I finished, really. After about the 35th lap, my car had swapped it's tires for bars of soap. I had a few spins before I decided to just take it easy and bring it home safely. I was like the dividing driver in the grid hehe, at one point I was running 10th, 20something secs behind Palmer and and about 10 secs in front of Roman, all alone. But then Roman starts to close the gap and even though I was afraid to drive the car too hard cuz of the tires, I had to push to keep him away long enough to finish 9th.

Andreas...amazing driving, just amazing. Grats to you and the podium. Very well deserved win you guys, this race was a real bruiser.

Many thanks to Stu and RD!

Something here is haunted... the car, the tracks or this league. :D In both races I made same mistake - spun in the corner where you have the spot that I call "spot of no return", simply you can't back on the track in less than minute or two (in my case 10 minutes). Errrr, ask Kris Leeten, he was in the same situation, except that I was determined to return and I succeded after 10 laps of torture. Kris decided to quit. I was in 20th place after that, finished 18th, which was fine.

I must admit that (my) Alfa behave like a 500hp RWD car. Can't accelerate normally in corner exits.

blah

had exaclty the opposite race compared to bjorn.
First half was fantastic. was able to follow at the beginning and had some decent laps.
went up to p15 or 14. Then I had a spin at the uphill before the hairpin.
What a stupid place to spin. Lost a lot of time there. After that my concentration was gone
but was not to bad. Had some fights with bjorn and hans and tried to follow gary for some laps.
But he was easing away on the straight like a space ship.

Was nice race. Thank RD and all racers

A race of two halves for me tonight.

Qualied in 15th(ish) again, which I was fairly pleased about, I expected the race to have a high accident rate and was hoping to play it cautious and try and capitalise on other mistakes.

Off the line I made a brilliant start and stormed down to T1 making up places. First 5 laps were a furious scrum to try and gain positions and I made it as far as 9th. On lap 7 I was following an Alfa that was lagging horribly (not sure who but it had a white livery) so I was nervous about getting to close or attempting a pass in case the car leapt infront of me and I had him off. So I hung back hoping for the right moment to strike, alas before I was able to make my move David went off course going into the last chicane. I pulled wide to the right to get past but the Arbath swerved back onto the track and Smashed into the side of my car. This left me stranded in the gravel on the inside of the last turn. Helplessly I watched as the field swept by as i attampted a 900,000,000 point turn on the gravel trap to avoid going into the racing line. I rejoined in 20th.......race over for me.

Or was it?

Yes.....

...but I wasn't going to just rage quit and go to bed in a huff, so I veiled myself in a curtain of Red Mist and hammered back though the pack, driving like a man possesed. Along the way I had awesome battles with Gary's school bus and Knut's nimble mini to name just two. I managed to claw my way back to 12th for the finish, so overall it was a net gain even if I am slightly dissappointed that I couldn't capitalise on my good opening laps.

Overall though, I was just delighted to make the finish line. This track is offensively hard over a long race distance and I think it's a credit to all of use that was got though 49 laps on it. Mad props to Podium for making it look easy!!

Many thanks Stu, another great event done!

P.S. David, I have to say I was more than slightly miffed when I was taken out, but if the whell was busted don't worry about it. These things happen.

P.S.S Shout out for Predrag for rejoining the race after spending some laps stuck in that ditch, +1dedication!

Just a large portion of sorry to Ryan for stuffing up his podium placing fight,and possible chance at the win?,and a sort of general sorry to everyone on track tonight for me just actually being there....

Thank You Stu & RD

Mate, this was always going to be a hard one for the Falcon.....it's over now...you got some corkers coming up so I reckon it'll be business as usual come the next race :cool:

Nice race for me.
Start all went OK through T1 :) I was 14th behind Kris. I looked a few places forward, to see what's going in front, because I wanted to be sure not to run in his back and ruin his race. Suddenly Kris braked more then I expected what surprised me and I hit brakes harder, and two cars went by one of them was Leno in his Ace of Spades ship. My nightmare became real - I was trying to overtake him in practice - so I pushed him for about 15 laps. On one lap I saw Gary coming wide of turn and decided to attack on inside but it was too optimistic and I hit him - sorry Gary for that but I waited for you and we lost just one place.
After this our fight kept on, until Gary lost it in T1 and I could sneak inside. That was a piece of pushing for me - thx Gary I like the way you drove your Falcon tonight!!!
In this fight Neil got to me but to my surprise he spun at T1 in big style, now I know it was due to my lagging - once more sorry for this. Did anyone else suffered from my lagging was it hard?
Then I was chasing Kris lap by lap I was faster 0.5 sec. but then Kris also made mistake and we drove for few corners side by side. Right before main straight I was inside and this gave me advantage to win this fight.
I felt sorry when I saw in my mirror Kris spinning and stuck down the slope.
From this moment I earned a few places and was chasing Carlos - I thought I could catch him but then I had to let Amir thru and I lost too much time for this. Next time I'll catch You!
My first top10 in RDHGP.
Grats to Andreas - he was driving his own race.
Thx Stu for this event.
It looks that I won't be able to race next time with you :(

That was such a great race:good:

I think I qualified 17th with the Mini. I got a great start but the fwd Mini is quite slow off the the line. I honestly don't remember much after this because there was a lot of different cars I raced with. But very clean and fair racing tonight:good:

The race wasn't that brutal IMO, but I think that comes down to the Mini which is very forgiving and easy to drive around here. Tire wear was a big factor though, totally worn front tires while the rear tires were as good as new:)

Very nice to see how this track changed the relative performance of the cars. Superb work with the league so far Stuart!

Thanks Stuart, RD and all that showed up

tough race tonight. qualified 2nd behind ryan. at the start i had a very good jump and at t1 i was first while tyan and andreas followed me. at this point i was thinking of a race strategy which proved to be wrong. i decided that it would be a long and hard race soi made up my mind to take it easy at the first 10 laps and save the tyres.ryan was following real close so i decided to let him pass and to follow him . while ryan in 1st place with me right behind ryan spun unfortunetly and then andreas was behind. it was lap 3 i think so i decided to let andreas pass too and follow him for a while before the BIG FIGHT :)
i was wrong about andreas. he eas very fast and stable and didn't make any mistakes. i did one serious mistake and the gap betwwen us grew immidietly to 3 seconds.we did about the same lap times but i couldn't catch him till the end. i promise to try harder next time andreas:). anyway i setteld for 2nd place while ryan was closing the gap. then at about lap 20 i started to push and ryan and the other behind couln't catch me to the end.
i must say thank you for all the guys who were being lapped they moved and gave a lot of room for passing. on another note i put enugh fuel for 69 laps and by the end i was left with fuel for 2 laps only so for all the guys who chose the abarth just remember that for the next races you need to put a lot more fuel.
grats to andreas for a very deserved win and for gary for not giving up. the championship is wide open. looking fwd to the next race.

Thank you Tom and Manuel! :D

I used the clutch very much (oh rhyme) in that situation, so in real life the clutch would burn like a torch. :D

And if this was a RPG game, I would truly gain a +1 determination. In this case, I gained -10 places, -1 ambition, and +1 anger. :(

cheers

If anybody has a good replay of Qualifying I would very much like it :)

(Pre)Practice
I had tested quite a bit here - I had figured that while the GTA was fast over one lap, the Abarth would be better over a race distance. During official practice, it became apparent that myself and Andreas were both very quick, with me just shading it.

Qualifying

I at first struggled to find space, but towrads the end of the session I put in some excellent laps - a 7.83, followed by a 7.59 and finally a 7.45 consecutively. Both the last two laps were enough to give me pole and I was mega chuffed :). Amir did a great lap to lie second, while Andreas was 3rd.

Race
Lap 1: As expected - Amir gets the jump in the Abarth, I slot in behind. Pressuring him halfway around the lap he is fairly sporting and lets me through at the hairpin.

Lap 2-3: Status quo really - not feeling that comfortable in the car, this being my first race with auto clutch off. A few tenths ahead of Amir and Andreas.

Lap 4: Coming through Kronet I hit the grass and slide into a spin at the next corner, I recover quickly but this drops me to 6th as Stu squeezes through also. Out of the final turn Babij slows and I have to swerve on the straight avoid him, up to p5.

Lap 5-6: I'm pressuring Stu now - this was my biggest worry, being stuck behind an Abarth.

Lap 7: I give Stu a gentle nudge over Kronet - I don't think this affects his braking into T5 though, he runs a little deep and I'm through to p4.

Lap 8-9: Trying to catch Carlos - still a little ragged

Lap 10: Carlos goes off, I'm busy watching him and almost spin myself, up to p3 now.

Lap 11-16: My mission now was to see if I could catch Amir and maybe catch Andreas, after all this action I was 9 seconds behind Amir and 12 behind Andreas. I get the gap down to Amir to 6 seconds but Andreas is still 11 seconds ahead and probably uncatchable.

Lap 17
: Amir was also uncatchable now - I go into the gravel at T1 while worrying about Bjorn perhaps rejoining in front of me, Babij nips through.

Lap 18: Big slide into T1, just catch the spin, but Grzegorz goes past, down to p5.

Lap 19: Babij goes off at Kronet, Grzegorz gets past and so do I at the hairpin. Back to p4.

Lap 20-24: Still struggling for consistency but I'm slowly wearing Grzegorz down, while pulling away from Babij slightly.

Lap 25: Bizarre - Grzegorz and myself are coming up to lap Gary - into T5 he leaves room but then flicks sideways, almost taking out Grzegorz and I hit him, pop, up on my roof I go. I also gain pretty bad suspension damage - pretty upset atm but manage to focus. Down to p7 as a result.

Lap 26-31: I try to come to terms with my damage which was making the car lean left - that would have been great, but we were on a clockwise circuit and frankly it didn't like turning right. I'm still able to hustle along a bit - the occasional 8 pops out. Chasing down Steve P.

Lap 32: Grzegorz spins it in the straight (catches reverse?), and drops back into our battle for 4th between Steve and Stu.

Lap 33: I pass Steve P, it's a bold move but he sees me coming - we have a bit of side by side action but we both give room and I'm away.

Lap 34-35: Grzegorz passes Stu.

Lap 36: Almost get caught in a tangle with Stu and Hans at T1. I have Peter breathing down my neck - I was determined not to let him get past as I see him a key championship protagonist. Into the penultimate turn I surprise Stu with a beautiful move and pass for 5th.

Lap 37-49: I concentrate on bringing it home and hope for action between Babij and Grzegorz - Peter gets past Stu but crashes and quits a few laps later. Bring it home 5th.

Summary
A disappointing result given the pole I had but c'est la vie. After my silly mistake I seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time almost constantly - I did make some good passes though - had to very assertive here to make a pass - especially without the straight-line of the Abarth.

Many thanks to Stu for organising - I love this track but it always seem to crap on me :D

I've seen enough in this race to encourage me - the Abarths do seem to run out of steam at speed.

Qualy:

First part i got P1 with a 1:07.8, this wasn´t faster then my time in training so probably not enought. And indeed Ryan and also Armir beat my time, so started from P3 (Now after the race i can say "work good" because i got in season 2 the pole and drove a very bad race, so it seems P1 have a bad Karma there :rolleyes:)

Race:

Not really bad but two Abarths flow right and left trought, so P5 after first corner. Could pass Carlos up the hill outside where Peter go the same time off the track. P3 for me behind Ryan and Armir. Follow the next two laps with watching Carlos behind me on the short straight, luckily too short for him.
After a small mistake from him i could concentrate on to the two guys in front of me. But before i can do anything Ryan spin and i got already P2. Behind Armir i was thinking i can faster but sure it was recommend to get him before the last two corners to stay in front. Before up the hill i brake me inside and go throught, i inside and Armir outside, very fair racing Armir.
After this i was possible to run away with some tenth per lap. Cause of the short track i had to lap some cars. Most make really fair and fast room. only Kris Leeton ,which i have to say block me already in qualifying, drive more then one lap in front of me like i were his opponent. I give sign with flashing lights but no reaction on S/F-line. Not till then he go off track i could pass, so what was the problem :confused:
With 20 seconds to Armir i could do it easy till the end but almost too easy i had a meeting in the gravel where i lost about 5sec. But with 49 laps there, one time is Ok :redface: After this was awake again and drove it home.

After the unlucky first race i got more luck to win here. :trophy: Not sure about the other tracks but this was maybe the best one to let the Abarth´s behind me. Hope i can be also competetive on faster tracks, for sure i need some corners.

Thanks evreybody, keep racing. :letsgoracing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back