RDHGP S4 - Race 5 - Mugello, Italy - 14/01/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
Welcome to Round 5 of the RDHGP S4

Welcome back to the 2009 RDHGP S4, and the first event after the mid season break – Happy New Year to you all. Zolder was another contrast to the previous tracks, and again, an overall successful event. There was obviously extensive discussion of track cutting rules and regulations, and because of an Incident Report, 2 drivers had times penalties levied against them. I hope that these were the last penalties I have to levy due to cutting this season.

The 2 drivers involved have been informed well ahead of this announcement and to be fair, the cutting was more like trying to sneak the odd fraction here and there to close gaps, and while this still breaks the rules, it’s less of an offence (IMO) than the alternative of deliberately cutting in close proximity to take or retain position, which I personally take more seriously due to the potential for accidents.

I also hope that, despite some of the rumblings and intimations I heard after Zolder, we don’t get too many people thinking seriously about dropping out of the League if they think that they haven’t picked the fastest car, or their car has been too unruly up until this point. I deliberately took a slight gamble in the scheduling by stacking the first half of the season with some of the more technical circuits, hoping that people in the less nimble cars would be able to focus on where their cars might shine, ie in the second half.

Three out of the next 4 circuits will suit some of the “other” cars better, where they can make the best of their attributes. To this end, I hope that people continue to soldier on, especially with our Le Mans grand finale on the horizon.

Anyway, looking upwards, ever upwards, we are still in Europe for Round 5, moving from Belgium to Italy, and the Autodromo Internazionale del Mugello.
mugello.jpg

Circuit Notes

Autodromo Internazionale del Mugello is situated (perhaps unsurprisingly) in the Mugello region of Tuscany, in northern Italy. Situated just 30km from Florence, it is surrounded by the Apennine watershed, which provides a varied and imposing landscape as a backdrop.

Mugello is one of those circuits where, no matter what other challenges it can provide, its character is dominated by a single feature. Laguna Seca has the Corkscrew, Spa has Eau Rouge, Brand Hatch has Paddock, and Mugello has that enormously long, uphill, engine bursting, brake cooking, slipstream generating S/F straight. Ferrari use it as one of their F1 test tracks, and it regularly holds World SBK, Moto GP & DTM Championship events, only missing out on hosting the first A1GP race of the 2008/09 season due to delays with the car development.

It has also run the Mugello Grand Prix since 1920 utilising multiple formulas, with some famous names being victorious – Depailler, Jabouille, Daly, Palmer, Zanardi and even Alfieri Maserati in 1922.

While that straight dominates Mugello, there are enough twiddly bits to keep the power boys honest and the handling boys interested. The RDHGP’s spread of vehicles always means that we will see some unexpected cars behaving above the form book.

After that long straight, with no doubt some cars seeing some rev limiter action, we enter the uphill braking zone for T1R, San Donato. This is the tightest and slowest corner on the track, but as you will find, ‘tight’ and ‘slow’ are all relative. Let’s just say that San Donato is no La Source. I expect this to be a favourite and classic “late brake up the inside” overtaking spot.

We enter a series of Ess bends separated by medium length straights, T2L Lucco & T3R Peggio Secco are standard 90 degree corners which lead onto a straight down to the much faster T4L Materassi & T5R Borge San Lorenzo. The danger here is carrying too much speed through and into the gravel awaiting the overexuberant right footed. T6R Casanova dives down to T7L Savelli, the downhill entry making it very easy to go off and into quite a hard wall.

Coming out of Savelli we come to the climbing T8R & T9R double apex of Arrabbiata1 & Arrabbiata2. Approaching the next corner, T10R Scarperia, I hope you have been counting the corners or at least you know where you are on the track, as visually it resembles T12R very closely. The only problem with that is that both corners need completely different approaches. T10R is the first part of an Ess, with T11L Palagio forming the other part, whereas T12R (Correntaio) is actually a Hairpin.

On exit from Correntiao, you are accelerating hard through the high speed Biondetti Ess (T13aL & T13bR) and approach the wide, almost 180 degree T14L Bucine. This relatively simple corner takes on huge importance for the lap as it leads back onto that >1km long straight.

muge_lod_QEa.jpg

The Race Director has (unsurprisingly) some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

· All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are no longer deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately.

· Start / Finish Straight. This straight is incredibly long, and allows for some very fast speeds to be achieved, especially by use of slipstreaming. Because of this, all drivers should be reminded that weaving is not allowed, and that only one move is allowed from the car in front to defend your line. Weaving to deny a slipstream opportunity is also not allowed. If there are more than 2 cars in a group, the same moving rules apply to a car that is ahead of any other.

· T1R – San Donato. This is a prime overtaking spot, and so drivers should be aware of what’s around them at all times. As always, it is incumbent upon the overtaking driver to do so safely.

· T5R – Borge San Lorenzo. The exit of this corner is very tempting as it opens up onto the descending approach to Casnova under hard acceleration. It is easy to drift wide here, and so you should exercise caution as there is not a lot of grip off the track, and easy to spin.

· T13aL & T13bR – Biondetti. As this is a fast chicane, and able to be straightened easily, all cars must have 2 wheels between the white lines throughout this section. The kerbs are NOT deemed as track, therefore “2 wheels on the tarmac at all times”.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties

After round 4 there was an Incident Report filed by a driver, and after investigations were carried out, 2 10-second Penalties levied, both for persistent cutting.

10 second penalties were levied upon :-

Peter Gog
Amir Margalit

As a result of those penalties, the Results for Round 4 were altered slightly, you can see the net effect in GPCOS. There are NO penalties carried forward for these drivers to Round 5, their penalty has been served.

There are no new no-show penalties pending from the Zolder event.

5 no-show penalty infractions are currently being served (races left in brackets):-

Simon Bacon (1)
Stuart Neal (1)
Arkadiusz Kotarski (2)
Lee Madden (2)
Matt Crouch (2)

This type of infraction will be carried for 4 events, after which time they will be rescinded. A further infraction will result in expulsion from the League.

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.)

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries

You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System

I have extended the points distribution method down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

The Distribution is as follows (double for the 200km event):

P1 - 25 pts
P2 - 22
P3 - 20
P4 - 18
P5 - 16
P6 - 15
P7 - 14
P8 - 13
P9 - 12
P10 - 11
P11 - 10
P12 - 9
P13 - 8
P14 - 7
P15 - 6
P16 - 5
P17 - 4
P18 - 3
P19 - 2
P20 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap (not double on 200km event)

1 point for qualifying on Pole (not double on 200km event)

Well, It was a real nail biter for me.
During Q I was a half second slower than my rival/buddy Tom, so my hopes of having any good battles with him were very low.
Then the race starts. I just try to race as safely as possible and not try to drive too fast. I figure that eventually people will start to have accidents thanks to mean little Mugello.
Boy was I ever right! In the first lap guys start to bump into each other and I am able to move up some places because of it. During the race the Porsche guys that I pass after they spin catch up to me and pass me easily as if they had never fallen off track to begin with. Either I am really slow or this beamer needs more horsepower lol!

Also in the first lap, Tom spins out and gets hit by Hans while trying to recover and loses his front air dam. I have to give Tom major props, because even without front downforce the dude managed to torment me for almost the entire race. I was sweating bullets the whole time, trying to keep my concentration level high so Mugello wouldn't bite me in the ass. Tom was right behind me until he made a couple of other mistakes and then I spent the last 5 or 6 laps all alone til the end.

This was also the first time I didn't get lapped in the league, and also the first race in which I didn't spin out, never lost control of the car, I'm freakin amazed, considering this was one of trickiest tracks I've ever driven.

Thanks to Stu and RD!!
I'll see some of you in our next club race, and the rest of you I'll see in Austria.

Cheers Carlos - It was so frustrating to drive some really consistent laps and never seem to get any closer. The front end just kept washing out due to having next to no downforce. You drove well though, the beamer was a total pig as usual. I'm starting to wonder if it's me or if there is every going to be a track that suits this car.

Stu, that sucks - I too assumed that you'd been punted off and were being sarcy about it. I'm sure we wouldn't have minded a restart given that it was only a few laps in.

Warren, I belive it was me and Stu who went 3 wide into the chicane with you, i thought we'd made it through safe. If I tagged you i'm sorry.

Nah, stuff happens sometimes, just got to grin and bear it. Can't do a restart for one person setting their PC up wrong.

I'm just sorry I hit the 'thanks' button, tbh. I've got my 4 main quickchats mapped to the direction pad on my G25 gear lever thing, and I thought I'd mapped starter to one of the 4 buttons above, and in my panic, I touched "Thanks".

The Warren incident was simply a case of getting punished for his own politeness. If he had pinched slightly across on the exit of Turn 1, Tom wouldn't have been tempted to go three wide. As it was there was a huge amount of room on the entry which resulted in three wide and the incident. I can see exactly why Warren left room but I can also see why Tom went in the gap.

The Warren incident was simply a case of getting punished for his own politeness. If he had pinched slightly across on the exit of Turn 1, Tom wouldn't have been tempted to go three wide. As it was there was a huge amount of room on the entry which resulted in three wide and the incident. I can see exactly why Warren left room but I can also see why Tom went in the gap.

I left room because I knew Stuart was there, didn't expect a third car to take advantage of that.

Whilst there may have been room for a third car on entry, just imagine what would have followed if I had made it through the first part of the chicane, when we all arrived at the second turn of the chicane. Three wide through that chicane is rather hopeful.

Note to self: Start all future League races from last.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I remember trying to keep it really tight on the entry to allow room on the outside of me, and not cutting across too hard in case one of the others had got a good run on what would now be the inside.

Apologies if I was at fault at all.

I left room because I knew Stuart was there, didn't expect a third car to take advantage of that.

Whilst there may have been room for a third car on entry, just imagine what would have followed if I had made it through the first part of the chicane, when we all arrived at the second turn of the chicane. Three wide through that chicane is rather hopeful.

Note to self: Start all future League races from last.

Don't get me wrong I was supporting you :)

Moving on to other issues, could someone tell me exactly when Peter D. got his DQ, please?

If it's way after he's crossed the line while other people are finishing laps etc. then he shouldn't get a DQ for that.

If it was during the race, or immediately as he crossed the line, I would understand if he had ignored or missed a stop and go penalty indicator, or if he jumped the start, he would have got a DQ at that time after maybe 2 or 3 laps, again for ignoring a SnG.

So, could someone categorically tell me when he changed to DQ status, please?

If it's way outside of race penalty opportunities, I'll recreate his times and reinstate him, but I'll need a firm estimate, please.

I will tell what happened in my opinion: I finished the race normally in 2nd place, I was spinning around in the gravel, and then somebody came at full speed and hit me.
I was flying through the air and landed outside the track. I was flying in the blue air all the time, because it was not part of the track, so a bug in the game.
Then I pressed escape and I was still in 2nd.
Then a few minutes later i suddenly got a DQ.

By the time i crossed the line and arrived at the T1 gravel Piotr and Petey were sitting stationary side by side on the gravel,i arrived and begun some lights flashing and donut action and i think everyone joined in,seems weird it would pick one of us out for DQ there?..

I will tell what happened in my opinion: I finished the race normally in 2nd place, I was spinning around in the gravel, and then somebody came at full speed and hit me.
I was flying through the air and landed outside the track. I was flying in the blue air all the time, because it was not part of the track, so a bug in the game.
Then I pressed escape and I was still in 2nd.
Then a few minutes later i suddenly got a DQ.

Aaah yes,i do indeed remember a certain Gulf livery little porker(no names needed eh Palmero) ;p.. arriving at full speed flat-chat and mashing in to another car sending it in to oblivion :D

OK - it would appear that Steve, in knocking Peter skywards (for which I don't blame him, it is a lot of fun to do :D) knocked Peter off the "world" and caused the DQ.

In that case, I hope no-one has any objections to me re-instating Peter's times into the Log and parsing the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 372 16.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%