RDHCS S10 - Round 1 - 100km (22 Laps) - Autodromo Int'l Algarve - Tue 26th Feb 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
RaceDepartment Historic Club Series Season 10 Round 1 – Guess who’s back, back again

RDHCS is back, tell your friends.

Welcome to the Premiere, some say Debut, some say Inaugural Round of RDHCS Season 10. As you know, we’ve made something of a song and dance about the Carset this season, it being the largest and widest selection we’ve ever had. It also appears, from first glance in the Test events and from the feedback we’ve received from drivers detailing their difficulties in choosing their vehicles through testing, that it has a decent chance of being the closest matched set we’ve ever put together. You can select any 2 cars from the 9 and clearly recognise and differentiate between the comparative strengths and weaknesses, but actually choosing which one is faster overall seems to be nigh on impossible, because the track is so absolutely fundamental to this seasons choices and their relative pace.

This season’s schedule spans 4 continents, across multiple track types and profiles, so there will be something for everyone here. Quite often, sections of a single track will differ wildly in what car they favour, so expect some concertina-ing throughout various stages of laps/races/the season. Many thanks to Knut who established the baseline group of cars and venues with me, and Rupe who helped out with final schedule tweaking and car set confirmation testing. It would appear we’ve stumbled across a set of golden variables here, so fingers crossed that the season confirms that initial impression.

We start in Europe, at the Long(er) layout of the Autodromo Internacional Algarve. This is one of the rFactor conversion circuits that require the *.gdb file fix to allow it to run, and more importantly finish, correctly. We have nullified the time scaling portion of the gdb file as GTL does not support it, and we will provide a fully patched download for you all to install. If you have been practising on the track already, this new download does NOT render that invalid at all – there is Zero difference to the track layout, length or grip beyond the timing bug we are eradicating.

algarve.jpg

Circuit Notes
The Autodromo Internacional Algarve is situated in Portimao on Portugal’s south coast in the Faro District of the Algarve Region. Though it was only completed in 2008, it has hosted Superleague Formula, GP2, A1GP, World Series by Renault, FIM World Superbikes, FIA World GT, Le Mans Series and F3000 Euroseries. It has also hosted regular F1 testing, although no official race has been held there at F1 level to date.

The track is constantly changing gradient throughout the span of a lap, giving uphill and downhill braking zones, turns and affecting the cambers greatly to increase the difficulty tariff. The track is very wide, and gives multiple lines through many of the corners, allowing for overtaking to be eminently possible.

A lap of Portimao starts on the long S/F straight, which drops away into the tricky T1R. It is not a classic “slow corner at the end of a long straight” lap opener. Instead it’s a mid-paced turn, with a downhill approach, immediately telescoping braking distances, and because of that downhill profile it is also an off-camber turn. There are green run-off areas on the outside of the turn, but they are slippery, and contain a cut if you use them as a racing line. You also have to be relatively circumspect in T1R, because as the track begins to flatten out on exit, you approach T2R.

T2R can be taken flat out under acceleration without too many problems, but you need to be settled and stable before you can take a lot of speed through there. Additionally the fastest line there could well interfere with your approach and your lines for the important T3R as they are closely spaced together. T3R is a tight, climbing hairpin that can be attacked a few ways. The classic wide approach-tight apex-wide exit is fine but maybe short termist, as it will leave you on the wrong side of the track for the approaching T4L. T4L opens onto an uphill straight, so getting the best exit from T4L is probably more important to the lap than your line through T3R. T4L is also bump-crested on the apex to add to the trickiness, so the more powerful cars especially need to be aware of their throttle position as they traverse the crest. It would be very easy to suddenly spin the wheels as the car goes light over the bump.

You climb gently after T4L and it can feel quite flat after the steep turn preceding it, then over another crest and steeply downhill into the braking zone for one of the trickier turns on the lap, T5L. Like T1R, it’s approached downhill, the downhill profile takes it off camber, but unlike T1R, it exits uphill, onto one of the narrower parts of the track. The inside of the turn has a fairly wide green kerb area, but as always, 2 wheels need to be on the tarmac at all times. Accelerate hard up the hill, throw the nose into the blind (apex obscured by crest, exit by fence and track buildings) but relatively benign turn T6L. Keep on the gas as you drop downhill again into the approach to T7R.

The drop bottoms out at the apex of T7R, giving it some positive camber, and allowing you to really attack the inside line under acceleration, but you need to balance this corner with the demands of the next corner, T8R. You need to be on the brakes almost immediately after T7R, as the track climbs into the approach for T8R. Brake early and hard, T8R is uphill and off camber, and had a punishing yellow inner kerb bump for people trying to take liberties. I would like to think it will remain unmolested because of our driving rules, but beware if you find yourself over there unexpectedly. Take a clean line, and get on the gas early for the uphill exit.

Get across to the right as you approach the crest, still accelerating hard. As you go over the crest, you see the track laid out before you, dropping downhill, then flattening and rising again, with T9L ahead at the start of the rise. It sounds complex but can be taken flat out by most if not all cars this season. With T9L safely negotiated, you exit uphill where the tracks soon crests and flattens, and you are straight into the tricky and curved braking zone for T10R. Make sure you get everything done early here - T10R is a real nasty piece of work. Keep a good tight line, allowing for the negative camber, but also aware of the possibility of losing the rear, and then accelerate hard out of the turn towards the left hand kerbs, which - as always - are difficult to see because the track drops away from you again. The left hand side has a waiting sandtrap beyond the kerbs and green run offs, so temper your exits to stay on the black stuff.

Still hard on the gas, you move right to take T11L as quick as possible. The track again changes from a downhill approach to an uphill exit through T11L, leaving you facing the sky straight ahead. Move across to the right and get yourself ready for T12L another one of the many leaps of faith this circuit demands of you. You will be braking hard for T12L, long before you can see the entry, let alone the exit. The first part of the corner you will see is the yellow inner bump protection, so use that to adjust your car for proper approach. Turn in smoothly, not jerking as the track is slippery here and a slide will cost you a lot of time. Again, beware a too aggressive exit that drifts you right, there's a huge sandtrap there that will cost you way more time than taking the corner cleanly. Accelerate out, moving from the right hand side of the track to the left, and into T13R.

T13R is very important for the laptimes, as it leads onto beginning of the longest section of acceleration of the lap, but because it is downhill, and massively negatively cambered, the entry needs to be very careful. Drifting wide down the camber will force you to back right off the accelerator and correct, costing you a lot of time. Keep the nose in tight, and early in the corner, and get hard on the accelerator. Once you get your line and negotiate the apex, let the car run wide on the left towards the red & white kerbs. Pass the shorter circuit's coned-off pit entry and last turn on the inside, keeping your foot hard down. The track dips ahead for the start of the long last turn, T14R. Keep your foot down hard as long as you can, although you may want or need to breathe the throttle a little to keep the nose as tight as possible, as drifting wide on the exit will take you across some bumpy kerbs that will unsettle your car, even if you keep it legal. The turn exits uphill, with the grandstands ahead on the left, the pits and pit entrance on the right, so keep your foot planted up the final hill onto the S/F straight and another lap of Portimao.

algarve.png

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting - this can be people in front of you trying to gain an advantage, or people behind you trying to cheat to catch up.

T1L - Especially on Lap 1. Be aware of people as you turn in here, it has the possibility to cause huge problems if drivers don’t respect each other. Be aware that any incidents caused by reckless or over aggressive driving in Turn 1 during the first lap will be dealt with severely. Deliberately going wide here and driving back on at full speed is illegal. People who have stayed legal have right of way here, defer to them before rejoining the track.

Most of the other issues on this track will be people driving off the circuit and/or cutting. The track is wide enough that there aren't really any bottlenecks where the cars will be jammed up close with nowhere to go.

The main issue I saw in the Test event, as I've already mentioned, is people using their cars to lever people off corners or off the circuit. No-one has a divine right to be on any part of the track, and no-one can just ignore all the other cars to get there.

Also - we have a wide performance disparity in various areas of the track. The lighter, grippier cars cannot just throw themselves recklessly at a marginal gap and expect people to get out of their way. Likewise the heavier, more powerful cars can't just drive their lines oblivious to others around them and not expect to be challenged. As long as things are clean and legal, you will be fine.

Racing Room must be given to all driversand this works both ways. Divebombing into and across a corner denies people the chance to make the corner correctly just as much as someone obliviously (or deliberately) cutting the nose off of another driver who has achieved partial overlap fairly.

All points on the track – General Items
Drivers may put on their lights (and keep them on) during a timed qualification lap, so other drivers know to get out of the way when safe to do so.
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the Race Session.
No Chat during the Quali or Race except by Race Control for information.
The Track must be re-entered safely so as not to ruin other peoples races.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties
Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.) Accident reports made within 24 hours of race completion will be ignored.

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries
You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHCS event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHCS.

Reporting Attendance
I will be sending a PM with the round password to all Signed-Up drivers. I will also be running an “Attendance” post. If you are definitely driving, you need to “like” the post. If you are NOT driving (or if you are unsure of attendance) you must post a reply to say so. If there is no response, or if a response is posted after 2 hours before Event start time (ie 1800 London time) on race day, it will be treated as a "will attend" status, and any absence will be deemed a No-Show. 2 No-Shows will mean removal from the league.

Scoring System
Points are scored down to P25 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.
The Distribution is as follows for 100km events :
P01 – 30 pts
P02 - 27
P03 - 25
P04 - 23
P05 - 21
P06 - 20
P07 - 19
P08 - 18
P09 - 17
P10 - 16
P11 - 15
P12 - 14
P13 - 13
P14 - 12
P15 - 11
P16 - 10
P17 - 9
P18 - 8
P19 - 7
P20 - 6
P21 - 5
P22 - 4
P23 - 3
P24 - 2
P25 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

Tim Ling yes, it was a misfortune. I've watched the replay too but I am sure I didn't drive into you as I had been in front of you keeping my racing line. I didn't do any unexpected move or any major turn. It all happened on hard brakes and you had more speed than me and hit me. I am of the opinion that you could avoid me by giving me more space, but I understand it could look much different from your cockpit view (especially if you didn't notice any hit). This is just how I feel it personally, not blaming anyone :) to be clear

My only slight concern is that - generally - the cars that have tyre issues later in the races are big, heavy, powerful cars. Because of that, the smaller and lighter cars have to be more cautious around them. Me, Bob M, Simon (for example) could have put a totally legal, clean and considered move on Warren, but if he's struggling to control it, and is lurching around all over the place through turns (ie where the lighter cars are better), if there's going to be contact, the smaller car is going to get swatted like a fly, despite doing it all right.

It just seems like the bigger cars keep their advantage on the straights, but once their handling turns marginal, its everybody elses problem to avoid them. Just seems like the smaller cars get penalised twice.

Now I'm embarrassed and concerned for the rest of the league. :redface: (not based just on Stu's comments BTW).
I've been thinking about how to deal with this issue and how to improve things for those around me. As an experienced GTL driver (who hopefully tries to be as clean as possibe), I now have the best (first hand ) experience from the Shelby drivers perspective in this particular League environment. The options are not great and most result in me having to totally eliminate any competitive approach to the races.
It leaves me with a dilemma. :unsure:

BTW, the next track will be even worse for the Shelby, although I can settle for cruising around at the tail at Anglesey, that's probably all I could have hoped for anyway.
Other tracks may be more favourable to the Shelby, but all that means is that I'll have similar experiences as Algarve but with different cars / drivers.

Warren Dawes I appreciate what your saying mate, but surely that's what multi-class racing is all about? Watching the replay, Bob M's drive is the very definition of a patient drive. If he hadn't caught the kerb, I don't think it would have been too long before he found a way past that would have stuck. From experience I know your a clean driver, so drive your lines, don't go mad, and let the guys behind work their way past. As long as you don't do anything weird or un-expected, those behind will be able to cope.

Bob M's drive is the very definition of a patient drive.

Just to be absolutely clear, I have no problems with Bob's comments in his report, he made them with perfectly friendly, fun, GTL spirit. In a kind of sadistic way, we both had some fun during the race (I think :rolleyes:), and we had a friendly banter after the race.
Bob's driving was immculate and a credit to his patience, attitude, and skill in some cases. :thumbsup:
He was spot on the money though when describing our dicing. We were in a catch 22, the available driving lines in the Shelby were very limited, you just couldn't safely throw it into different lines to give more racing room. Several times, I went wide through a turn to give Bob more room (eg. lap 1 in the final sweeper to the straight, I stayed wide on entry because I thought he was coming through there, only to have the Shelby drift off the outside of the track letting a couple of cars past but I still ended up passing them down the straight and getting in their way again), but everytime I did, it slowed me more, I'd then repass him on a straight bit. So all that happened was that we were both much slower and resulting in more cars queuing up with us.

I suspect other drivers may not all be as patient, tolerant, or skillful as Bob was. ;)

I suppose I could have just backed off along the straights to let the nimble cars get away, but that is hard to do, and then puts me into a similar scenerio with the next cars behind me.
Hence why I said, no easy options if I want to be at least partly competitive. :unsure:

I think I'll try something different next Round.

It just seems like the bigger cars keep their advantage on the straights, but once their handling turns marginal, its everybody elses problem to avoid them. Just seems like the smaller cars get penalised twice.
It depends a lot how you set up your car for the race, the lateral grip is still quite good even when the tyre is showing a lot of wear in xd but the drop off factor for braking and acceleration is another matter. These tyres when half worn still hold 80 to 85 % of there original lateral grip but for braking and acceleration it has dropped to under 75% so to combat this for the longer league races i always have my car set up so that it is as good as i can get it under braking and acceleration and keep the tyre wear as even as possible from front to rear which is often at the expense of lap time as it often cuts down my corner speed.
For me a race is not a race unless i am forced to do some defending and i am looking forward to making my Ferrari be as wide as possible at this next track ;)

The longer a race goes on the less advantage the power house cars have and in future seasons if we were to run the races just a little longer distance like maybe 125km & 250km then this would maybe make some drivers consider pit stops but at the moment we are relying on track style to curb the advantage of the more powerful cars instead of looking at the staying power of the more nimble cars.

Me and Knut did look at the options for the tyre and fuel multiplier for some club races to test out a few things, may introduce one now and again giving the option for a light nimble car and a more fuel guzzling tyre eating car and try to get it so the big cars will need to stop for fuel and tyres but the nimble cars may only need tyres or fuel or maybe none.. ive tried a good few track and combos but it hard to get that balance as 1 second a lap advantage over say 20 laps is not enough to complete a pit stop. But a pit strategy could work if cars were get by.. there are lots of options but it need's planning as it could fail real quick if the wrong Parameters are set.
The other option was just to run an normal club race with x5 fuel and trye's. you will need about a tank and a half to complete the race. the tyres, thats up to the driver . but you will struggle if you dont change at least 2 tyres... all depends on your driving style or the cars you choose. it would bring the TC-65 class real close. We even spoke about a long endurance event with lots of time to practice
maybe a couple of months notice so. We have lots in planning but this all takes time but we are looking..:)

As I said before, I'm not knocking the difference in cars and relative strengths. Attacking and defending is great, especially across different types and classes. I'm never going to make a true League season single make, because it's no fun.

All I'm saying is that once things get a bit dodgy, the lighter cars have to keep avoiding action at the top of the mind, because they will always lose out if there's contact. It's always the lighter cars that seem they like have to adjust to the conditions.

What I really mean is that everyone should assess and react to changing track and/or vehicle conditions equally. Wobbly cars should anticipate cars trying to get past, and react in a realistic manner. No-one is asking anyone to pull over and let anyone else past.

But by the same token, if you have made even a slight error and there's half a chance for someone else, you need to bear that in mind.

Warren Dawes Don't change the way you drive, there is nothing wrong with it. It is clean and fair. I have no problem being stuck behind you and having to find a pass, that's what multi car racing is all about. We each chose a car that we wanted knowing it's strengths and weaknesses so I for one am happy to deal with it as a challenge. It will make no difference to me how sidways the big cars go, I will always try to make the pass cleanly and give room. My comments about it being frustrating were true as it was, but isn't that how it should be? How boring would it be if we were all able to race round 5 seconds from the nearest car because the cars and skills were equal. I also said it was enjoyable, because I was in awe at the way you drove a car that I could not do 1 competative lap in when testing, so hats off to you.

If I could drive a monster car I would be the widest car on track. I see it as the responsibility of the car behind to pass safely, not the car in front who can drive any line he sees fit.

Look forward to more challenges in the coming races.

It's always the lighter cars that seem they like have to adjust to the conditions.

What I really mean is that everyone should assess and react to changing track and/or vehicle conditions equally. Wobbly cars should anticipate cars trying to get past, and react in a realistic manner.

Ok I get the message.
I actually spent most of this race looking in my mirrors and trying to be mindful of giving room to those buzzing around my tail, and I thought I did that many times, but I guess it wasn't obvious. :(

Ok I get the message.
I actually spent most of this race looking in my mirrors and trying to be mindful of giving room to those buzzing around my tail, and I thought I did that many times, but I guess it wasn't obvious. :(
No, we saw it. I'm not drilling you personally Warren. All I'm saying is that once things become unstable, everyone just needs to adjust to what their compromised lines are going to be and allow for the fact that not everyone's grip deteriorates at the same rate. My line above the bit you quoted was about everyone adjusting equally. That's the main thing.

Warren Dawes I think you're taking this wrong Warren. No-one has complained about your driving at all. In fact Bob M said: "Don't change the way you drive, there is nothing wrong with it. It is clean and fair." I've been going over the replay a lot for various reasons, and the battle between you and Bob M is one of the highlights. I never saw any dodgy behaviour from either of you, just good clean racing :thumbsup:
Remember too that there are other heavy cars in the league, so others have the same burden. You've already quoted Stuart, but I'll do it again, with emphasis ;)
"What I really mean is that everyone should assess and react to changing track and/or vehicle conditionsequally. Wobbly cars should anticipate cars trying to get past, and react in a realistic manner."It's a multi-class league, and better for it. Now enough already! Drive your lines clean and enjoy the racing, and be glad your old boat is so fast on the straights!

Yep. I'm thinking of the League overall as I said earlier. If we all know that everyone is going to react equally, we're not going to get any frustrated,marginal dives from people who think they have to take chances just to get past.

All, please be aware that I certainly am NOT singling Warren out for a critique of his driving, his conduct or anything else. I apologise to him completely if he thought that.

As I was closest to him for most of the race, I could see the some specific circumstances playing out in front of me very clearly. Everything I mention above should be treated as an abstract, general comment - NOT a specific one. As far as I'm concerned, Warren was fine in his driving. No official complaints have been made by anyone about anyone. I just used those specific situations I saw to try and reinforce that we should all be realistic and courteous on track to avoid any rancour and recrimination. If I saw a slower car weaving on the straight to try and block a faster one, that's the discussion we would be having.

As driving resources degrade/diminish throughout the course of a race (grip, fuel, balance etc.) there can (and will) be some erratic behaviour that cars will exhibit. This is NOT a reflection on the driver, it's just a fact of life. The facts also dictate that there will be cars that don't degrade their resources anywhere near as much as others.

As we get into those phases of races, all I'm asking is that everyone is cognisant of the changes taking place on track, and that everyone behaves, plans and drives accordingly.

In case anyone missed it, I thoroughly enjoyed the race. My comments are solely aimed at heading off potential issues for further down the road of the Season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back