RD Formula Pro Series S5 (rFactor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
8ikOI.png

RDFPC Season 5 discussion thread

So another open wheel season ends

Qualified in 5’th spot, matching my best during practice so couldn’t as for more really.
At the start I got away from the line fabulously smooth and where all the way up to 2’n before T1.

Florian who where behind me where much quicker and I couldn’t hold him off for more than one lap, so now I was down to 3’d

Next in line to challenge was Chris B who also where quicker but with a similar straight line speed I managed to keep behind for one lap longer. Then on lap 3 (I think) Chris stuck the front in on my left in turn 130R, and since i had to take the line to not run myself of on the outside i clipped Chris front sending him of.
Sorry for your race Chris, and when you have cooled of I think you realize you could have given it a bit more time and you would have come past clean since you where quicker. I prefer to finish races instead of battling to the last drop, and always give room (if I can).
After that incident I keep on pushing as hard as I could, the guys in 4-6 place I guess where battling (they were close to each other on the “map”) so I slowly could increase the gap.
First pitstop went well and the race continued more or less alone.
Then halfway of the race I made a mistake under the tunnel and spun, luckily with only a small damage to the front suspension. I think it did not affect the handling at all, it only showed on the pictogram.

2’nd pit stop took 20s since the damage needed to be repaired (whatever they did since it was still there ?)
Due to that long stop I came out just in front of Adam E in 4’th, who I knew from the practice sessions had some 10km/h quicker straight line speed and I realized that this will be hard.
I think we fought for some 5-7 laps before Adam passed me, no I was in a bad position since I was much quicker in the twisty sections but would not manage to come past on the straights. I just had to challenge as hard as I could and see if I could stress Adam into a mistake.
After a hard battle for some 15 laps the checker flag came out and with me still in 5’th only 10’th of seconds behind Adam.
Even if I had preferred to finish 4’th, I think we had a fun an hard fight with only millimeters separating us at many occasions.

Grats Jamie for the champ, and all of you racers for a nice season

Huge thanks to Ivo and RD, and if there is some secret co-workers involved behind the scene, for a nice season again.

Sorry Jan, I still disagree. Just because you are on the racing line is no excuse for turning in on me. So what if you were on the outside of the turn?

Anyway, that's all I have to say on it now, grats to Jamie for the championship, Adam for getting 2nd :D Ivo for a brilliant league. Hopefully see you next season.

Results:

1st: Jamie Blewitt
2nd: Andreas Hall
3rd: Morten Wernersen
4th: Adam Eggbeer
5th: Jan Wikstrom

Pole Position: Jamie Blewitt
Fastest Lap: Florian Strauss

Round 7 points:

Chris Butcher: 13pts
Martin Bulgin: 11pts
Bruno Sousa Ferreira: 10pts
Adam Eggbeer: 10pts
Ivo Simons: 0pts

Overall end Standings :

Chris Butcher: 52pts
Ivo Simons: 48pts
Bruno Sousa Ferreira: 38pts
Martin Bulgin: 37pts
Adam Eggbeer: 34pts
Lee Palmer: 26pts
Ihab Abbas: 9pts
Ben Tusting: 4pts
Martin Vrba: 2pts
Ferry Koek: 2pts

I had a good race last night and was happy with how everything went. I would have liked a showdown thriller to the flag but with Nico having little practise due to his injury and Florian crashing out it was a relatively straight forward race for me. I did my PB in quali and started from pole which was a nice boost, and got away cleanly to maintain the lead. Fast starting Jan gave me some cover for the first lap or so whilst i built a gap. Then Florian passed him and caught me quickly. I know from his pace he was three stopping and had one eye on Nico at this point too - but at the same time i realised i needed to hold Florian off for a few laps to mess his 3 stop advantage up.

We battled closely for a few laps, at one point running side by side through the 130R! I didn't put up too much of a defense though and let Florian go soon afterwards. He seemed to be right on the edge and made a mistake at Degner, allowing me to retake the lead. A few laps later he repassed me and pulled away. Just before the first stop however Florian had another spin at the hairpin and when he pitted on lap 13 i was ahead by a few seconds, having paced myself during the opening stint.

It was around now that i saw Nico off the road and retired, and soon after Florian in the pits too. After that i backed off and gradually built a gap to second for the rest of the race. Congrats to the podium guys!

Thanks to Ivo and the RD team for a really enjoyable championship. I have had some brilliant battles throughout the season, notably with Chris at Nurburgring, and also some great intense races. Its been a pleasure racing with everyone and i hope to see you all in the next season, in RF2 if its out!

So Suzuka, one of the tracks I hate the most so it was no surprise to me that I was really struggling with this track in the build-up. I saw a few times during the week which made me think I was way off the pace but with some help and encouragement from Lee on Sunday afternoon, I managed to get settled with a decent pace. I knew I wasn't going to be at the front on 1 lap pace so took a gamble and went with a lower downforce setting to allow me to overtake in the race. As it turned out, it was also my fastest setup over one lap so I went with it.

Quali: I opened up with a 32.8 but made a small mistake. When I saw I dropped to 12th, I thought this was going to be hard to be anywhere near the top. But as the session went on I moved up the order without improving my times much, until the final lap where I set a PB to take 6th. When I studied the times closer, I saw how little there was between 4th and 12th.

Race: Got a terrible get away with the wheels spinning up and I nearly put it in the pit wall. Managed to save it but dropped to 10th before gettin back past Martin in turns 1 and 2. I knew I only had to stay close to the cars in front through sector one to make use of my car later in the lap and into the hairpin, it all got tight and Martin managed to pull alongside. I managed to keep ahead on the run down to Spoon before driving past Wayne on the run down to 130R thanks to my top speed advantage. On lap 2, I had a little look down the inside of Andreas into Spoon but backed out to see if I could pass him down the next straight. Unfortunately, by the time I got close, 130R was close and the yellow flags were out with smoke on the outside. We were now in a big battle for 4th, with Morton and Nico ahead of us and Martin right behind. On lap 3 I had a couple of looks down the inside of Andreas into Spoon and 130R but they cost me a lot of time in the end and I spent the next lap too far back to do anything. Into the chicane on lap 4, Nico and Morton were side-by-side which slowed Andreas down a bit allowing me to tag onto the back of the battle again with Martin a little way back now. On the next lap, Morton had one of those slow spins at the exit of turn 2 that meant he dropped right back as Nico, Andreas, myself, and Martin carefully negotiated our way past. I managed to get a good run on Andreas out of Spoon and overtook him on the inside of 130R. Nico was starting to pull away now but he span it at the exit of the hairpin. I saw this but I lost the rear on the exit, somehow managed to save it and avoid Nico but Andreas close right back up again. I ran wide at Spoon which gited the position to Andreas. I rejoined quite quickly though and coming out of the Casio Triangle, I got a really good run on him. Andreas decided to defend the inside so I decided to go for the outside and went right around the outside and took the position back. At Spoon again, I ran a bit wide in the second part of the corner which allowed Andreas back up the inside momentarily before my straight-line advantage pulled me back ahead just before 130R.

With all this battling, Martin caught right up with us and was pressuring the pair of us. For the next few laps, Andreas kept closing in on me in sector 1 and I was just able to hold him back. He got alongside me on a few occasions but he never made anything stick. On lap 13, Martin got past Andreas into turn 1 and proceeded to chase after me. Coming out of Spoon he was able to close right up on me and made a great move into 130R. I left him just enough space and we were side-by-side into the chicane with Martin later on the brakes but running a bit deep. I got a better exit but our wheels tangled a bit and he managed to keep the spot. Knowing that Martin was running a similar downforce setting to myself, I was able to hold onto the back of him through sector 1 and when he made the mistake in the hairpin, I was able to pounce and regain fourth. Martin then ran wide at Spoon to give the place back to Andreas. On lap 16, we saw Florian off the track and out of the race at turn 2 moving us all up a place. I ran wide again at Spoon and got stuck on the curb losing the place to Andreas but managed to stay ahead of Martin. I had a couple of looks down the inside of Andreas into the chicane in the next couple of laps but couldn't find a way through.

On lap 18, both Martin and I made our stops. I pulled up at the box and totally forgot about the small bit of suspension damage I picked up earlier in the race. As I forgot to remove it, the stop was an extra 7 seconds but I did get back out a few seconds clear of Martin. Andreas pitted a couple of laps later but came out 6 seconds ahead which left me rueing the pit stop error. Andreas slowly pulled away but the gap behind to Martin was staying constant. At this point I felt it was possible to overtake Morton if I could go quick enough. Around the halfway mark, my hands were in a lot of pain but I just kept pushing as hard as I could as I thought Nico was a few olaces behind and I had a chance for second in the championship. Morton made his stop and came out about 8 seconds behind. I kept pushing but I was just unable to open the gap up.

I made my second stop on lap 37 but I came out 10 seconds or so behind Morton. I was surprised however to see a black car in my mirror as I left the pits, only to realise it was Jan as he went past into turn 1. I thought he must of had a spin or something as he was a good 15 seconds ahead before he pitted. I knew I now had a chance for fourth which I felt I didn't have before the stops. I chased him down hard knowing that I had to get past him soon else he was just going to drive away. On lap 39, I got a much better exit out of the hairpin and tried to go around the outside on the run down to Spoon, I thought better of it and tucked back in behind only to have another look down the inside into Spoon. Again I thought better of it and tucked myself in behind to attack on the exit. AgainI got a good run and he decided to defend the inside, so I went for the outside and went past into 130R. After a couple of laps of being pressured hard by Jan, he made a mistake at Spoon and then at the chicane to give me a couple of seconds gap. It was around this mark that I realised it was impossible for me to win the championship as even if Jamie retired, he would still get enough points to put it out of my reach. Also, after going past a few backmarkers, I started to think Nico could be out of the race as I couldn't see any sign of him. Over the remaining laps, Jan and I were lapping at the same speed, until the last 3 laps when he started to reel me in. Luckily I managed to hold him off by less than a second to finish 4th. It was only when I saw the results that I knew Nico was definately out and I got second in the championship. :)

It was an absolutely fantastic race especially during my 1st and 3rd stints and I nearly got the championship win but there is always one that spoils it :p . I was amazed at the amount of overtakes I was a part of in 130R and my favourite overtake has to be the one with Andreas into turn 1. How I pulled that off, I will never know.

The season has been excellent for me and I've really enjoyed it. Even with the issues I had at Barcelona, I was able to challenge for the title all the way to the end which I never thought I would do at the start of the season. I was aiming for a top 5 in the championship with a couple of top 5 finishes in the races but even that sounded like it was going to be difficult. I never fully got to grips with the car until Montreal when I realised I could run the car on 12 boost for the whole race (getting the AI to test the car at Barcelona showed that the engine would blow up just after the end on maximum radiator and lowest boost). Perhaps knowing what I do now, I could of put a stronger campaign together but I'm not going to complain. I got my first 2 podiums in league races at RD this season and 2nd in the championship exceeded all expectations.

I must thank Ivo for this superb championship, along with Jari and Ryan for the highlight videos. I would also like to thank all the drivers that competed and to those who gave me a good hard battle, I really enjoyed them. I hope to see you all next season. :)

P.S. Sorry for the essay. :)

Suzuka - Incident Penalties

- No penalties

Incident reviewed:

-Chris Butcher vs Jan Wikstrom:

Reviewed as racing incident by several Staff members.
Butcher didnt fully had the overlap to claim to the corner.

-Konrad Stanczak vs Remco de Wildt (1st lap incident)

Reviewed as a racing incident. De Wildt didnt had time to react to the slow down of Stanczak.

Last penalties reviewed:

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/rdfpc-s5-penalties.35726/

Grats again to Jamie for the Championship.
Would like to thank you all for the fair driving all season. Only one event wich had a major crash and that was in the first race.
Rest of the season was off high standard. Example for other Leagues.
Also want to thank most of you guys for the commitment to the races. Al goes into a RD database. So will always help your sign up future Leagues here on RD.

If you have any comments about the season or any tips or suggestions. Dont be scared to post them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%