Post your first impressions

Hm, I am very disappointed with rF2 . If I want it to run smoothly, it looks just like rFactor , very disappointing. iRacing runs smooth and looks great. I think I am more excited about GTR3 now than for rF2.
Chris what is the problem with it? What are your PC specs? If rF2 doesn't work I reckon GTR3 will be similar issue. One of the things that we have found is try turning off AA - Anti aliasing.as that seems to make a huge hit in this version, you could also turn off HDR and also Real Road. AA you can get by with - HDR - well for now not needed, Real Road well you want to keep that going. See how that goes.

Had my first few CTD's last night.

Was running Meganes on a few servers and have this issue:

I would load up the track and be in the pits, then would press race and the car's screen would have sort of fine lines on it?

Then would go back to pit and would get an "RF2 has stopped working" banner up.

Loaded up a single player after and it was fine, may have been dodgy server

I managed to spend sometime driving the 60's F1 at Spa yesterday. I'm not a fan of the old Spa as I prefer more technical circuits, but I was blown away by rF2 for the first time!!! The feeling of speed, the vibration and movement in the cockpit makes you feel like you're in real physical danger!!! The ffb and physics are fantastic in these 60's cars:).

The biggest plus point though was the Ai. I already knew from running at Monaco and doing some races in the Meganes that they are a massive improvement, but at Spa they really shone!! I was running a mixed field of F1,2 & 3's. As I hurtled down a flat out section I was closing on another F1 with an F3 up ahead. The Ai F1 went to it's right as I went left. We entered a flat out left kink and the F3 held it's position allowing both us F1's to breeze past incident free!!! I was amazed as if that had been rF1 or pretty much any other sim that move would have been total carnage!!!

I really hope they fix the FR 3.5 as that's the car I really want to drive, but I just can't stand it's strange behaviour at the moment:eek:.

'K I've tried it a few times now & I've got a 2nd impression: I've pretty much stopped playing it

It's not that I don't like its promise.. but there's 2 things that's stopping me from loading it:

1/ The force feedback will wreck my expensive wheel; I've done the filter tweak, setting it to value 8, but that leaves the on-track feel a bit mushy & weak..
2/ I find most of the cars too difficult to drive (no aids) especially my personal favourites - the 60's F1 cars ..as soon as I put the power down they seem to torque-steer from one side of the track to the other - with me pathetically trying to correct it, lol

I just think the above difficulty/effect is a bit overdone & makes them too hard to "push on" with.. probably why I never got on with GPL :) ..worth mentioning I am a regular league racer & we only use auto-clutch, so not a complete noob, lol

Just my thoughts :rolleyes:

That seems to be a common consensus tony really.

You might want to persevere with the 60's cars, try the lower power ones first.

I myself find them perhaps the most complete of the WIP mods, with the Meganes not far off but the FR a total rewrite

My first impression is I like the new interface and I can't wait for the full game to come out. Also I now know I need a better graphics card but I can still run it with lower settings, but I already knew that since I have a 9800gt. Plus it's nice that I don't have to fiddle with leo's or realfeal to get something out of my steering wheel.

'K I've tried it a few times now & I've got a 2nd impression: I've pretty much stopped playing it

It's not that I don't like its promise.. but there's 2 things that's stopping me from loading it:

1/ The force feedback will wreck my expensive wheel; I've done the filter tweak, setting it to value 8, but that leaves the on-track feel a bit mushy & weak..
2/ I find most of the cars too difficult to drive (no aids) especially my personal favourites - the 60's F1 cars ..as soon as I put the power down they seem to torque-steer from one side of the track to the other - with me pathetically trying to correct it, lol

I just think the above difficulty/effect is a bit overdone & makes them too hard to "push on" with.. probably why I never got on with GPL :) ..worth mentioning I am a regular league racer & we only use auto-clutch, so not a complete noob, lol

Just my thoughts :rolleyes:
Well, the 60's F1 are basically untamed beasts... They have 420+hp in a 200hp chassis, super hard ply-bias tires, no wings or very basic ones... Add to that the tracks they were racing on and you have the recipe for huge balls...

Like said, try the F3 before, then the F2 and only then the F1... Try to be comfortable in each of the slower ones before trying the F1.

Chris what is the problem with it? What are your PC specs? If rF2 doesn't work I reckon GTR3 will be similar issue. One of the things that we have found is try turning off AA - Anti aliasing.as that seems to make a huge hit in this version, you could also turn off HDR and also Real Road. AA you can get by with - HDR - well for now not needed, Real Road well you want to keep that going. See how that goes.

I have a AMD Phenom "something, something" Black with 3.4 GHZ, 4 GB RAM (should i get more?) and a Radeon 5850 , running eyefinity at 4800x720 .
Details are medium and AA at 8x, and I am getting 20FPS. iRacing is at 84 FPS and I am running it pretty high details, looks 100 times better than rF2

I revisited it after a week now and I must say my first, rather disappointed impressions have survived. still a good buy because there are thousands of fans out there who will produce millions of mods which will be essential in any community. so, do not much fancy it, but it's a must.

I have a AMD Phenom "something, something" Black with 3.4 GHZ, 4 GB RAM (should i get more?) and a Radeon 5850 , running eyefinity at 4800x720 .
Details are medium and AA at 8x, and I am getting 20FPS. iRacing is at 84 FPS and I am running it pretty high details, looks 100 times better than rF2

Game isnt finished yet. A beta is not suppose to run optimal. :)
For example the Ambient Oclusion is not in place and alot of other things. If thats in place you get a huge FPS boost. :)

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I have downloaded the Trainer car and it all worked fine, that is the only change from the default game, other than a few .ini wheel settings.

I tried the FR3.5 (for my sins) earlier and noticed that in the cockpit view the top cover over the monocoque forward of the cockpit was missing.

It was present in all other views apart from onboard? All I could see was my feet and a black outline of the bulkhead.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
I have downloaded the Trainer car and it all worked fine, that is the only change from the default game, other than a few .ini wheel settings.

I tried the FR3.5 (for my sins) earlier and noticed that in the cockpit view the top cover over the monocoque forward of the cockpit was missing.

It was present in all other views apart from onboard? All I could see was my feet and a black outline of the bulkhead.
Probably have something to do with your shadows setting. Think i read that having them set to none (or maybe low) create that problem. Problem FR mod

Try medium shadows (if it's the same problem of course) :)

I must admit so far I have only played the historic cars at the Monte Carol track so keep that in mind while you reading this.

Interface:
Much cleaner than rf1. However they need to add some options such as "reverse effects" for the steering wheel.
I didnt spend much time at all setting my TSR500 wheel.

FFB:
I really like it. Very alive and talkative.

Graphics:
Eh....they do need to work on them. The current state of graphics is not what is expected from a modern sim. I am not saying they should make them as SHIFT or CARS but at least improve upon them.

Performace:
Look like the code is not optimized. I have an i7 and it can play BF3 at full details with no problems in a 64 players server.

Overall I did not expect much more from a this release and I am fine with it.
However I do expect much more on the final release. I am not expecting perfection but I expect to see a polished product and with patches rolling out to fix whatever remaining issues.

Just got it at the weekend.

First impressions are:

Well, i've only tried the Renault Megane and the Classic cars.

The Renault Megane seemed to have a strange bonnet cam view/ horrible outside sound and i mean horrible.

The FFB is weird in both cars (touching the grass / kurb and it shakes like a fricking lunatic) torque setting didn't do anything apart from giving you numbness which was just weird!(i still have this issue)

I thought the FFB was supposed to be alot better, why can't they make the FFB easy to setup? rather than having to tweak it through notedpad.(race 07 / iracing is a piece of piss!)

What do you do about the ingame steering degrees ? can we just have it to whatever we want? or is this like Iracing now?

They need to make things easier for us!(the Controller UI layout was way easier in Rf1)

Didn't notice any fps problems so far(Q6600, SSD, ATI 6870 twin frozr, 4 Gb ram)

Maybe i thought Rfactor 2 was going to blow my mind, maybe everyone hyped it up to much, i don't know, but it doesn't seem all that to me.

Yes you can say' I've said it once and i'll say it again, it's just a Beta' but people are having to pay to make this RFactor into a better game!
(which i just don't like!)

I just want to drive and not have to fiddle constantly (thinking their are these FFB tweaks / profile tweaks, like there always was in Rfactor)

To be fair, the only real reason i've bought the beta, is so i can race in FSR.
If FSR was going to start when the finalized game came out, then i would have not bought this 'BETA'

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back