Post your first impressions

I've catch a lot of slides in the Megane, but past a certain point it just snaps like it should on that modern slicks, medium downforce car.

As for the 60's Formula, well most of the time you're going crazy fast so of course it's tricky to catch it when things go wrong ;)

Modern slicks don't snap, I've driven on them, don't suck up all the bull you read on the Internet, if you want some great examples watch some Motorsport or buy some from eBay and fit them on your road car and do a track day ;)

absolutely love the sound of the '66 f1 cars...engine crackle and all. so hard to drive! i can't wait until i make it around a lap without ending up on my roll hoop....
noob question: i wish to steal a few setups for the f1 cars ( i couldn't setup a p*#sup in a brewery)...what file does one save a setup to so it's in game?? thx in advance. :)

absolutely love the sound of the '66 f1 cars...engine crackle and all. so hard to drive! i can't wait until i make it around a lap without ending up on my roll hoop....
noob question: i wish to steal a few setups for the f1 cars ( i couldn't setup a p*#sup in a brewery)...what file does one save a setup to so it's in game?? thx in advance. :)

documents/rfactor2/userdata/player/settings/track

First impressions - very choppy FPS. F3.5 is impossible to drive, love the classic GP cars. I haven't tried the F1 class yet but from what I've heard they are very difficult.
With better FPS I'm sure I would enjoy it even more, I've tried every tweak I could find, including the latest ATi drivers. Seems like it gives great results for some with no effect for others.
I'll hold out for the next build, hopefully with some optimisations and fixed F3.5 physics.
Overall, I can't form a proper opinion on main features due to general lack of performance, but if I can get similar FPS to rF1 (about 70) then I'll be able to start trying things like rain.

For an engine platform which should last several years, I'm quite underwhelmed, its dated even by moderate standards today.
It looks exactly for what it is, a slightly modified Gmotor2-engine. It even has some of the same gremlins like the old one, i.e.
- very poor CPU-scaling on full grids, even highend CPUs barely take it beyond 60 FPS due to the lack of proper multithreading
- you need extraordinary high Fps (>>60 FPS) to get a "fluid" experience in the graphics- and FFB-department
- poor LOD calculation (texture pop in)
- etc pp
These aren't things whose bugged because its a Beta, for me these are inherent downfalls, they simply could not addressed properly with a 6 year old game engine.
I'm going for the refund button, if the game is released later this year with more of some quality content, I'm willing to buy it again, but only when there is no sign of competition (Assetto Corsa, C.A.R.S., GTR 3) in the same time frame. :(

Only played it on the 60s cars so far , i like the graphics and sounds as a start but i hope they will improve to the levels of other games.
The cars are challenging and fun to drive and give a degree of satisfaction when you string a good lap together, but actually racing with them appears to be beyond the capabiliites of too many in multiplayer , i have yet to race more than 2 laps due to people crashing out and voting for a restart , the voting thing needs a rethink , the idiots dictate the raceing , i had 9 restarts in my last race before i gave up and left.
Track debris is another area that needs a rethink , it looks pretty but absolutely destroys the racing by causing even more crashes , in real racing objects that big on the track would bring out a red flag .
my last moan is camera shake , what a stupid pointless effect , it doesnt add to realism at all and in my case actually brings on a mild motion sickness , i have NEVER suffered from that in real life and to do so sat still and playing a game is more than just annoying , it needs a control to turn it off .

The problem is that people in general doesn't understand how to properly race in the 60's Formula... Also, back in those days you couldn't defend your position by protecting the inside, but you could still held the outside of course, but no real defensive driving like today...

Add to that the fact that contact often meant serious injuries or death and you have the recipe for planned and assured overtakes, and not 50/50 ones like we often see nowadays... Thats why online racing in the 60's Formula is tricky.

About the obstacles launched on the track, I think they "disappear" after a few seconds (30 by default I think) that simulates marshall clearing the way. Of course you just have to watch out in the meantime, and I think it adds a lot to the dynamic of racing :)

Hmm, just for comparison I installed the Demo version of GTR2. What a blast I had driving that! Great FBB and the list goes on. So I just hope that in the future I can say that RF2 is at least as enjoyable to play/drive as GTR2. Right now it's no where close.
I've done the "fixes" but still have chop chop choppy graphics. I don't know all the tech terms for it, tearing? or stuttering? I have a very capable machine, dual 6970's, core i7, scads of RAM. But the beta runs like piece of poop. So I wait with high expectations.

GTR2 ? Let me laugh... With the amount of grip there is in that game you could out-corner a LMP car ! Then there's the fact that you feel like driving a go-kart since there's no suspension travel at all... Oh, and you really have to do it purposely if you want the backend to step out...

Again: Sorry??? :confused:

Well, I honestly don´t have that memory, maybe the result of having too much sex... but to me GTR2 was a very good simulator.

The only memory I have is from the RPM NGT championship with a Porsche, and it was not that easy. Maybe it could be (no offence) that maybe you never pushed too much and you where driving it in taxi cab mode...

I tried rFactor 2 today, it runs sweet as a nut on my pc, no graphic issues or stutters, eveything looks really nice.
The only problem is I have not managed to do a full lap.
I am driving along, everything is fine, Im thinking yeah I can like this, the handling is good and feels good on the track then all of a sudden......
BAM! im doing somersaults in the air, I didnt hit anything or do anything wrong. I was in the middle of the track so nothing in the way.
This happens with all three cars on all tracks, its a shame as it runs well on my rig.
So I have requested a refund and I think I will wait untill the retail version comes out.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 302 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 202 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 152 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.7%