Poll: How do you rate the new F1 V6 engine sounds

I think the turbo engine itself is fine...but unnecessary.
What I don't like are all the ancillary bits and pieces (MGUs) attached to it.
That complexity driven solely by the appearance of being 'green' is very bad for racing.
If a guy has to slowdown because his tires are shot or he missing a gear, that one thing. It's an entirely different matter when the fuel given is restricted to the point where you need gimmicks and safety car intervention just to get to the end and can't fight for fear of running out.
That not racing, that's managing.
Present day F1 seems to be a contradiction.
Every year they come out stating a need to reduce cost and yet, they implement things which actually drive cost upward.
There was nothing wrong with restricting the V12 or V10.
That was a rolling test bed, it was proven technology and would have cost nothing additional. They elected instead to scrap them and spent millions to develop a whole new V8.
Again, the V8 could have been restricted....so what did they do? Develop a whole new and almost twice as expensive V6.
It's a good thing these guys aren't running a country.
They'd be bankrupt.
I think the change will ultimately 'rob' F1 trackside audiences due to the additional time it'll take when teams have problems.
Expect cars to sit in the pits much longer as issues are fixed.

Last edited:
In order to cut costs you need to have them.. Going for V6 enabled Renault to continue in F1. Honda comes as exclusive engine provider in 2015 and provides third of the grid in 2016. Without that change, no teams=no costs.. Now there is definite benefit using F1 as a test bed for something that is actually useful for manufacturers on road cars.. We can't run on oil forever, all racing will change eventually, like it or not.

In order to cut costs you need to have them.. Going for V6 enabled Renault to continue in F1. Honda comes as exclusive engine provider in 2015 and provides third of the grid in 2016. Without that change, no teams=no costs.. Now there is definite benefit using F1 as a test bed for something that is actually useful for manufacturers on road cars.. We can't run on oil forever, all racing will change eventually, like it or not.

I know what I have to say is off topic, and I am sincerely sorry, but I like the idea of what I have to say very much. What are your thoughts Kennett, on hydrogen powered cars? Rapide S - Nurburgring 24hr Race 2013

I think this will become a viable replacement for fossil fuels and electric cars will be looked upon as an embarrassing trend. Instead of running around in Priuses and Smart cars (no disrespect intended, I am a fan of the Mercedes Smart car) we will drive normal cars that use hydrogen instead of fossil fuels. Although not mentioned in the article, another article I read in a magazine said the car could maintain race pace under full hydrogen mode and pretty much had a sound like its petrol buddies.

In short, Ladies and Gents, hydrogen is the fuel of the future :cool:

^^ Very much like the idea of hydrogen as the medium to store and release energy. Loads simpler than batteries, not to mention it is the most abundant element in the universe and causes no pollution.. Batteries are very very dirty and weigh a ton (at least now). Allthou, electricity is the most efficient, it's almost pure energy.. Only problem is the one why H wont be accepted: it's freaking scary to drive with a bomb in your car, gas under heavy compression is not my ideal travel companion.. And it, at least now, is very costly to produce compared to the energy you get out of it. But it recycles back to nature, produces clean water as a byproduct, how can you say no to that.. Even compressed air is viable source of propulsion.

Future generations, if we allow them to exist, will curse us for using complex hydrocarbons as fuel when their perfect uses are totally opposite: long lasting products. Now we use them as quick source of power, not just in our cars but as political and economical tools.

Instead of running around in Priuses and Smart cars (no disrespect intended, I am a fan of the Mercedes Smart car) we will drive normal cars

I am not sure about hydrogen being viable as long-term storage, but if something HAS to change is not the fuel, is the concept of 'normal car'. Moving daily about 1000 kg per ass is not going to be sustainable no matter what you burn to make it happen.

You do realize that the V6 turbo cost almost twice as much as the V8 right?
While I agree with the new engine's benefit to the road car divisions, it did nothing to curb cost in F1....it's quite the opposite.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the sound. I think it is something I have to get used to. What I do like is the sliding of the rear due to the lower downforce and much more torque. Now if they only get a fix about the fuel thing so that drivers can drive at maximum the whole race I will be happy.

• Deleted member 161052

V12 - Loudest
V10 - Loudest
V8 - Very good
V6 - Deep noise

Don't mind the sounds at all, and the entire discussion is starting to bore me tbh, the people who want more noise and less racing can go watch replays of the last 10 years of F1, there's been plenty of that.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back