Poll: How do you rate the new F1 V6 engine sounds

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26666624
That article pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject spot on.

That seems to be an article from a man who is trying to convince himself, and other people that F1 is still interesting and wants to keep his job.

Now Signore Briatore has a different take on things.

“You can’t present a show like we saw on Sunday; it says you don’t respect the public which is paying in the stands and on TV. I didn’t understand what the drivers were doing; they weren’t attacking I didn’t understand the fuel saving, why some great drivers were not able to defend themselves. It was a confusing and depressing spectacle.”

Briatore said that the sport had made a grave error in letting the engineers design the sport, rather than taking a wider view of what would make for the best spectacle.

That line above nails if for me.

And I thoroughly disagree, I honestly believe that if you think F1 is boring because of how it sounds then you where watching it for wrong reasons.

I watch it on TV and at the circuits for the whole experience and for me the sound is a big part of that and that is a big factor for me personally. When you walk through the gates as you approach the circuit its the sound that gets the blood pumping not the thought of how much fuel they can save driving round.

I have CD's of F1 engines and i bought the book by Nick Mason 'Into the red' because it had a CD of the cars tested. :redface:

Surely you see that if they had designed the engines with all aspects taken into consideration (sound included) there would not be this discussion.

The engines don't sound that bad, they just dont sound loud or powerful enough for F1.

I can agree that some of the rule changes work against the sport being interesting to watch, but this thread was about the sound of the new engines, not about fuel savings, double points for last race or any other rule change.
As far as the sound goes I don't see the problem at all, but then again I've never found the pig squeal of the older versions of F1 cars to be particularly appealing so that's probably why. Tbh the only engine sound in F1 since I stated watching in 2000 that I've really loved has been from the pacecar, the Merc SLS... that's a nice sounding car ^^
But the sound is not THAT important to me, there's other classes of racing I can watch if I want noise, better noise than F1 has ever produced imo.

Edit: I felt I had to add that the sound is VERY important to me when driving a car in a sim, but the same applies here, the F1 sounds has not appealed to me.

It is obvious from different posts on here and comments across the internet and the poll above that there is no general concencus one way or the other. Which for me is a oversight on F1's part. Seems like the sound is a bit meh.

F1 should be more than meh, its should be wow.

Its a business built on the back of entertainment and as such they have dropped the ball on this one. In all the general press that's the main talking point so they have obviously got it wrong.

Now Signore Briatore has a different take on things.

“You can’t present a show like we saw on Sunday; it says you don’t respect the public which is paying in the stands and on TV. I didn’t understand what the drivers were doing; they weren’t attacking I didn’t understand the fuel saving, why some great drivers were not able to defend themselves. It was a confusing and depressing spectacle.”

Briatore said that the sport had made a grave error in letting the engineers design the sport, rather than taking a wider view of what would make for the best spectacle.

That line above nails if for me.

First, Briatore should be the last person to talk about respecting the public. I don't think the Singapore deal was very respectful of the public, or the sport.

Second, Formula One is an ENGINEER SPORT. It has always been. Take some rules, make the fastest possible car, then find a nutcase that will drive it as fast as it's humanly possible.

First, Briatore should be the last person to talk about respecting the public. I don't think the Singapore deal was very respectful of the public, or the sport.

Second, Formula One is an ENGINEER SPORT. It has always been. Take some rules, make the fastest possible car, then find a nutcase that will drive it as fast as it's humanly possible.

It used to be an engineer sport, now its driven by engine/chassis manufacturers selling cars (hence the new engine regs), CVC/Bernie making money, sponsors selling things and promoters selling tickets.

Take your rose tinted specs off.

It used to be an engineer sport, now its driven by engine/chassis manufacturers selling cars (hence the new engine regs), CVC/Bernie making money, sponsors selling things and promoters selling tickets.

Yes yes, engineers have nothing to do with it, all cars and teams are equal and none of them have a engineering advantage, it's all about ad revenue, tickets and a little bit about driver skill, just as it has been for many years.
/sarcasm

Yes yes, engineers have nothing to do with it, all cars and teams are equal and none of them have a engineering advantage, it's all about ad revenue, tickets and a little bit about driver skill, just as it has been for many years.
/sarcasm

I didnt actually say that engineers have nothing to do with it, i said making the fastest most most spectacular sounding cars is not the primary goal anymore. Of course there is an amazing amount of engineering skill involved, more so than ever just directed to the wrong facets of the sport.

Anyway as i have been on my soap box long enough i am retiring to the 1970's where everything was great and F1 was all about the fan's /sarcasm. ;)

I don't like loud things, so I am mostly pleased with the new situation where I can even hear radio comments clearly. The wheezing of the turbo on the downshifts is also an interesting change.

That doesn't mean I like the sound, it would be probably nice that they would have a deep grumble, but that is mainly exhaust resonance, would be just hurting performance for the sake of acoustics. Not likely in F1.

(The old squealing sound, BTW, hideous, don't know how anybody could like that).

I think the formula 1, if they go with the Turbo Engines for next years, they should be more powerful and pass of 760HP to 1000HP-1200HP ... they 80s turbo cars (twin turbo) are more powerful than the F1 of 2014 (Single Turbo).. for example the Senna Lotus 98t (Renault Engine Twin Turbo - 1200HP) :)

Oh, I won't claim the current state of Formula One is perfect, or even decent, but I think the engine change has been one of the best things that have happened to F1 recently. The V8s were ancient, engine manufacturers weren't interested in entering F1 (or even staying in), and I personally didn't find the sound to be that good (specially with the blown exhausts).

I actually like the sound right now, and listening to the crows cheer when Ricciardo got the pole (for a second, before Hamilton snatched it) was amazing, in my opinion.

Mind you, I understand why people won't like the sound. that's fine, and complaining about it should be too. I just like attacking Briatore :p

I think the formula 1, if they go with the Turbo Engines for next years, they should be more powerful and pass of 760HP to 1000HP-1200HP ... they 80s turbo cars (twin turbo) are more powerful than the F1 of 2014 (Single Turbo).. for example the Senna Lotus 98t (Renault Engine Twin Turbo - 1200HP) :)

As far as I know, turbos of that era only went over 1000hp in qualifying trim, using huge boost pressures, which would kill the engine in the race (one-lap-engines). In race they were a bit tamer.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back