PaceNote Plugin Support - General

Split times.
First I want to thank you WorkerBee for your work in improving RBR:)
I have found that when running long stages like Ouninpohja I would like to have more than 2 split times. Could it be possible to implement a setting where you could set the placement of additional splits in percentage of stage length or via absolute mesure?
Could be configurable so stages 0-50 km have only 2 splits, 5-15 4 splits etc.
Maybe this could be store in the pacenote file so you could set a split at a specific junction for example.

Just an idea for development

/Tomas

Split times:
Well, unfortunately RBR only handles 2 splits + finish correctly.
All plugins and mods rely on that behavior, so it is quite hard to change that.

New year, new version:

RBR Pacenote Plugin 1.3

History:
1.3 2013-01-02
* show dialogs in countdown and endrace mode
* no save button in replay tab
* reset callout handler
* keep setting of "no link/sticky" attribute when adding subsequent notes

1.2 2012-12-21
* slowmotion and fast forward in replay
* mute callouts separately in game and replay mode

1.1 2012-04-07
* new special "Callout Adjust" pace note
* show dialogs in game menu mode
* load pacenotes from BTB formatted ini file
* "remove all" menu item

1.0 2012-04-01
* Initial version.

Some translated texts have been added and/or changed in the strings.ini files (? from my memory) because of updates made to the user interface.

You may check with kind of a diff tool to spot the differences.

These are some of the things about the base list I've been meaning to ask for a "longlong" time. This may be part one of many, I'm sorry to say.

Longlong/Very Long + Shortshort/Very Short?

"Longlong" is obvious, as Burns used that, but how exactly "very long" relates to that? I can think of it as a synonym to longlong, but then again, also as a prefix ("very long K right", "very long crest"). I guess it's fair to say that "longlong" isn't as suitable to that very role, as a prefix, that is. So what's the thinking behind these terms? Whatever it is, I guess the exact same would apply for "shortshort" and "very short"...

Line/Late?

Are these two terms synonyms by any chance? As most of us know, McRae used "line" all the time, as a suffix ("5 left tightens line"). No three corners would go past without one. :)
According to Grist, "line" meant late apex. Now, since Burns used the term "late" as a suffix ("Medium right late"), but never "line" - at least I haven't heard one used - so it
occurred to me that these terms may or may not be related.

Slippy/Slippery?

These are just synonyms, right? In English pacenotes, I don't think I've ever heard of "slippery" used anyway, it's always "slippy" ("slippy exit", "slippy maybe").

Over Bridge?

"Over" is the head-scratcher here. "Over" is usually used about things mid-corner - "over crest", "over jump", "over bump" and so on. But on the list, however, "over bridge" has a LINK=INTO entry attached, so something's up. Definitely. Was "over bridge" perhaps meant to describe a bridge that can act as a jump too - in theory at least, if nothing else. Not the greatest example pic: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/Section1/swiki/c1/ClachanBrdg.jpg.

Use of "Go"

And then there are some Go-pacenotes on the list as well - "Go Wide" and "Go Narrow". I've never heard these notes, can sort of imagine and make a non-sophisticated guess of what they may be about but better not. Please enlighten me. :)

Speaking of "go", this interests me, I am awfully curious. Burns had distances called out in two ways: There was the usual "80" but also "go 80". Do anyone have a clue about the difference of those two?

Enough for today, I feel. :)

Well, actually we've spent weeks and months to collect all those terms and phrases.

Involved were several people, native speakers as well as non-native speakers, rally drivers, co-drivers, amateurs etc.
Pacenotes are a matter of personal preference and taste and experience.
This is reflected in all those words and phrases we recorded.

The Beast is just meant to be a useful tool, not an authority to force anyone into using any particular pacenote call.

It is up to the user to take the time and create his/her own pacenotes for every stage.

As most people do not even agree about the "corner" numbers, they will never agree about all those other calls.

That's a fact.

See the following as hints:
longlong, short, very ...
Just a synonym or variant.

line
Use in phrases like "line left", "line in" etc, which means "approach the following corner from <whatever>".

late
Maybe "break late", "late entry", whatever.

slippery
There is nothing wrong about "slippery", no matter you have heard of it or not.
Just another term.

over bridge
Kind of the same as "over crest", which could be the long form of "crest".

go stuff
Maybe use "go narrow" instead of "narrows" and the like.

Some words about modding or extending the Pacenote plugin with sounds and languages.

Basically it is not recommended to change any of the genuine Pacenote plugin files.
Simply because these will be overwritten when upgrading to a newer release, and because it is not necessary.

If you want to change an INI file, simply copy and rename it.

Especially do not change the "strings.ini" files.

To replace a translated string or pacenote call, write the entries to be changed into a separate file, e.g. "NG.ini" and put this file into the appropriate folder in the e.g. "english" language subfolder.

The philosophy of the plugin is to have separate but identical folder and file hierarchies in the
"config" and "language/xxx" folders, respectively.

"The Beast" will first try to read an entry from a language file located underneath the "language" folder with a name equal to the name of the respective category/pacenote INI file.
It will search the folders upwards for an equally named file name, up to the "language" folder.
If such a file is not present in the language folder hierarchy it will look into one of the strings.ini files, if present in one of the subfolders.

The original package unfortunately contains only one example, look at "Extended.ini" in the "language/english/pacenotes/packages" folder.

Feel free to ask if you want more info, so I can help with creating new sound and pacenote packages.

I'm aware of the potential upgrading issue in terms of the Language folder, and if you have any updates lined up, I'll just inspect the differences and delete the packs from existence if required. No problem.

The reason why I've used co-driver -specific language folders so far - even though unnecessarily as you rightly say - is that these mods are mainly for showboating at their current state. Not only the installation should be as safe and easy as possible for anyone, but uninstalling them should be safe and easy as well.

I can see people testing this for 10 minutes max, and then reverting back to mods they have always driven with, and with my packs, it's basically bish bash bosh and Bob's your uncle.

Version 1.6 of "The Beast" is available for download.

New features:
1.6.0 2013-08-31
* added czech translation and sounds
* suppress "wrong way" message (menu)

Credits go to the Czech community for translating the texts and providing the sound files.

Note for CZ users:
To use the czech pacenotes, edit Pacenote.ini and specify "czech" for the language and the sounds entries.
When in the game, choose one of the "...-cz.ini" files in the upper combo box and save the DLS file.

A note for modders:
See the "czech" folders and the "...-cz.ini" files for how to include new pacenote variants without interfering with the plugin's default configuration.

Have fun,
Uncle G.

hi WorkerBee - about new updates "wrong way" is it in dll or ir soming from ini and sounds folders? For me is important becouse I make Lithuanian version and add a lotof new notes and what I must to change (but not lost my own comands)?
Thanks for answer - yours job is great!
BR
Rally G

The "no wrong way" menu item is not related to the ini and sound stuff.
You may want to add a translation to one of your customized strings.ini files for the menu item text.

The translation is located in "strings.ini" in "language/english", key "NoWrongWay".
You may add this entry into your translated strings.ini file, if present in your language specific folder.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back