Other Motorsports (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I see it, the less I like the idea. The (existing) bend is, I think, under-rated. Slightly off camber and late apex, get it right and it sets you up for a flyer down bottom straight and a definite overtake opportunity into Surtees, Will be sad to see it go:(

A track day is all about having fun driving fast isn't it? I don't know about other circuits but the one near me states I the rules that there is no competitiveness allowed.

So realistically you could go in with any car just to get into it?

Obviously the brakes and tyres would probably need replacing but I would imagine that would be the bare essentials covered?

My thinking was to keep it 'off road' until I saw the price of car trailers :S lol

I still miss the old Graham Hill bend (pre-1998, I think).

At least they didn't do this, though:
GBR%20Brands%20Hatch%201999.gif

A new debate for you. Please give us some good comments so we can discuss on the podcast! It's me and Dan Marr this time!

What is better value for money: watching motorsports trackside or watching on television?

Ready? ..... SPEAK!

Today, on value for money,
TV hands down!
If you're looking for a trackside experience, you can't beat going to the track. The real color, the real speed and if you get in the pit a chance to see the tech stuff up close. You might have two choices for viewing, watching a race from a single vantage point with limited scope or from high in the stands to see more with less detail and sense of presence.

If the track has a layout that allows a good view from the stands you might be able to see more of the race and its flow but little sense of being there. The race, who is fast and who is slow can be grasped better here. It's easy to see a driver falling back or gaining on another. The race comes alive with the use of a stopwatch, using it[them] to compare drivers reveals what doesn't seem obvious at a first view and this is easily done from a good vantage point.

Opting for a spot on the fence, it can be difficult to find a spot to see the action, sure cars might go by but will they be doing anything but parading at that point? There's nothing wrong with being in a crowd with others though. The only real way to see any progress in the race here is by a stopwatch, simply seeing a gap get larger or smaller as a race goes on might do little to indicate who is gaining. I've done this and it can be very difficult.

Maintaining a lap chart is the best way to follow a race, that and the use of stopwatches. Most would not do this but in any long race, any that you might pay to see, it's the way to go.

A race on TV if not viewed live can be seen at your pleasure using a DVR and no standing in line for expensive refreshments. A dry seat is guaranteed and you get to see the races going on that have been picked by the crew that is looking at laptimes and gaps while following a lapchart! The best part, you can see the action, what any of the cars are doing in any of the corners or straights without having been trained to run a 5k race. The downside is that the crew that holds the valuable lap information won't be giving it to you all the time, but usually there's enough given and it would be more than what you would get being at the track.

I have never liked the current corner, and having been posted to marshal on that corner a few times, I feel that the current corner, with the silly kink before the turn is rubbish, and I would welcome this new revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%