Opel GT @ Virginia North / Full - Thu 1st March 2012

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyergtc76.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: Opel GT (Download)
Track: Virginia North Course / Full Course (Download)

Practice start time: GMT 20.00
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 (12 laps)
---------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 21.00 (5 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 21.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.30 (12 laps)

Note1: Skins that come with the Mod Only
Note2: This is a whole new version - v1.4 - which will be installed on the server.

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List
  1. Stuart Thomson
  2. Senab Subasic
  3. Andrew Jarnell
  4. Jack Smith
  5. Peter Van Zanten
  6. Philip Brown
  7. Roland Warmenhoven
  8. Jacob Boonstra
  9. Eck Simpson
  10. Driver
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver

Sorry for bailing, rough past two weeks, tired constantly.
Hope you have a nice race 2.

Thanks Stuart, cool car, nice track.
Well, the full course at least, one of my favourites. Hated the shorter version at first, but got the hang of it in the race. Managed to match Jack's pace, all that matters. Shame I couldn't keep it on track.

Hopefully I'll be able to join next week.

Another good racing experience. The Opel was very well behaved. After the first race I was an emotional wreck. :D

Race 1. After a fair start, 5th exiting turn 1, I over reacted to a situation in T2 (lap 1) and did a long slow spin off track and now second to last. I was able to make my way back to chasing Senad for awhile until he went off in the twisty uphill section. He was quick to return to track and I had to drive hard to hold him off for numerous laps...... we matched each other closely, but eventually he lost it and crashed out.. I was now well behind Jacob and then all of a sudden, he had an unfortunate off on the home straight and I slipped passed him. Next thing I know Stu spun off and I passed him into 3rd position with about one lap to the end. Other's mishaps were my good fortune this time. If this pattern had held up long enough I would have won.:)

Senad being the only one on chat tonight felt a little lonely and decided to exit before Race 2. ;)

Race 2. I started with the best intentions but it all unravelled quickly leaving not much to celebrate other than a barbecued cat after the race.:p Sorry Andy for the bump when passing. I used too much power and I could not hold my line, but fate got me down the road, as you saw. I thought you were perhaps???? letting me by but I just executed poorly.:( If I was too agressive.... second to last place was at stake.

Wd done to Roland and Eck for wins, all other podiumers and drivers. As always, great sportsmanship. Five Star event Stu.

Yes these were great! The track is quite demanding, and as with the Boss' race on tuesday, consistency was king tonight. And as this little Opel is such a breeze to drive, I had a great time doing some practise with Peter and Jacob on wednesday.

The North version of this track however, reminded me of something; IIRC it was Stuart who referred to some other track a while ago as being "..as twisty as a snake with stomach cramps.." and I think that phrase was very appropriate here as well.:D

Come race night, I had a good P1 and Q1 and started from 2nd place behind Eck. A good race start got me into the lead for a while, until a mistake cost me speed and Eck got by. From then on I could only watch him pull away from me at a sec. per lap until fate hit him in the penultimate lap and I inherited the lead again, and the win!:):)

In P2, on the full track, I struggled with the longer gears, but still managed 3rd in Q2 albeit 2 sec. behind both Stuart and Eck.
In the race Eck went off in L2 so I was in 2nd chasing Stuart, who at some point struggled in the final corner, losing quite a lot of speed, allowing me to get really close on the home straight and as he mentioned on TS that T1 was not his favourite corner I figured there might be room for an overtaking manoevre, which unfortunately was not a clean one.:oops:

Sorry about that one Stuart, but please look at it this way: In the about 11 months I've been racing here, I've become quite experienced in BEING overtaken, and since a few months I've felt confident enough to actually start DEFENDING my position against people wanting to overtake me, but being in a position where, at full race speed, I could actually OVERTAKE people myself is a whole new ballgame to me, and there's still a lot to learn.:confused:

After that my not being consistent cost me a possible 2nd win, as my big lead vanished when I had a spin at the end of the long straight. Jacob came by and Eck was breathing down my neck again; managed to pass Jacob but Eck got by me and won..

Grats to Eck, Jack and Jacob for the podium, thanks to everyone present and of course to Stuart for managing the event - please ignore my rather crude way of showing my appreciation this week...:D

Not sure what was in the air, perhaps something to do with that extra day in February, but I was both an emotional wreck and exhausted! Also had a few technical difficulties at log on so never got synced for race 1. That whole x-over section of the North Track reminds me of the "Dragon's tail," a rather infamous bit of road at the southen end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, which starts in North Carolina and winds its way through West Virgina.

I was much better prepared for the full circuit, though I had an interesting moment in quali when I lost sight of my braking point in the wall of smoke coming off Andy's? blown engine...was waiting for the red flag, but no joy...

Race2, started at the back and made up a few places, unfortunately by mid race I was on my own in 5th with the leaders well ahead and no one to race with, so was able to focus on setting some good consistent lap times and enjoying the wonderfull little German "pocket" Vette!

Congrats to Rowland and Eck for taming the dragon and the the other podium finishers, Jack and Jacob, and Stuart for the event!

Hope we see the Opel again soon...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing