Nothing is better than iRacing

T

tyuS

• tyuS

Who wants to buy RF2?? When their tracks get and actual 1/100th of an inch off from real world courses then maybe, MAYBE I'll look into it.

iRacing is where it's at. Nothings better than iRacing plain and simple. Try it once you'll never go back.

May I add: a game based on a rental agreement, also if they are going to pull the plug someday then there'll be nothing left of what once was your financial investments.

Seriously people, if money is the only reason you don't run it...then fine that is your reason. I've paid for 80% of the content on there and it didn't break my bank account because I continue to earn money. It isn't like I am given $40 a year to live off of. If some of you have a hard time parting with $8 then I can't imagine what you go through to pay $50 for a new Sim.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone, but just flat out annoys me how shallow people seem to be over money. iRacing hands down has the best racing anywhere. Best physics? Well it's better than 90% of the crap mods that people release for rFactor. However if you want the best racing online iRacing is the place to be. If you want customization and indulgence then obviously there are better places to spend your time and money.

However I enjoy running races with full fields.

Well, I get 1'157 USD each month. 1'016 of those, is the rent for the one-room 30m2 apartment I have, and other monthly bills. That leaves 140USD for rest of the month. It's not like I have a lot to spare. Sometimes things breake, I also need clothes, soap and stuff. If I'm to use 10USD each month just to run the recruit car, I will get sick of it. And I am. If I'm going to move up to D-class, I need to buy at lest one car, and usually 3-4 tracks. That's 40-50USD. That means I've used 60 USD on iRacing that month. That leaves me for 80USD for food, and other things I do need to survive. That means 2.6 USD each day. Sorry. Can't do that. For a person like me, it's much better to save up 50 USD to buy a game like rFactor. Than playing iRacing 1-2 months each year.

While I hope most people have more money than me, most people does have a life and a hobby. Like a friend told me. iRacing is not a game, it's a hobby.

Troll threads always live on, though to be honest it should have been locked.

Anyway, iRacing is great and all, but pricing wise you don't get a lot for your money, yes the service is the most well implemented and the quality is very high but to say nothing is (or is going to be) better than iRacing? There is always someone with a better idea, someone with an edge, always something better around the corner.

Rfactor 2 is a one time price, the developers have had years to learn from the community of the original game, i'm pretty sure they have also had plenty of access to the Netkar series, to iRacing itself, along with many other titles on consoles and the pc. Developers don't often sit idle and what Rfactor 2 brings is a new generation in their line of sims, the basis of which may (or may not) be ahead of iRacing. Don't forget that the base engine of iRacing has not changed, and for whatever changes and updates they do it is still that same engine. Just in the way Rfactor 1 was, no matter what mods or updates were implemented, the limitations of the engine were characteristics of the game as a whole, whether good or bad these were always and always will be present.

A brilliant example of this is the Online game World of Warcraft, released in 2004 the base of the game has not changed, with constant updates and expansion packs bringing it into 2011 the game has improved massively, but the heart of the games engine still has most of the same limitations it had in 2004, there is only so far it can be taken, and problems presented to developers that may be unsolveable, which would be non-existant in a modern game engine. That is the case with iRacing, for as amazing as it is, those who develop new systems will have access to further technology that can push realism further beyond what can be done by modifying an older platform. Netkar, many people accept that this sim from a small budget company is more accurate than iRacing, many believe the tyre model is closer to reality, the characteristics of the sims core are the key to this.

Lastly, however Rfactor 2 compares to iRacing, one thing i do know is that it will be good, it will be an improvement over the original and it certaintly will be cheaper and more realistic for the general person. There is a reason that community of iRacing is so small, the game is a niche, it is very expensive and it is very hardcore, its multiplayer ranking system (which does work) is not very friendly to new drivers and many think it could be done better, lack of a singleplayer game outside of testing is a put off for many. If you want to race with your friends, you have to pay for your own server alongside paying the subscription price. iRacing is great, but if it really was the best thing since sliced bread there would be more than 3000 people online worldwide, which is the general number i usually see, when you compare that to games that have millions of players, or even old online games (Diablo 2 from 1999, i logged on there recently and found 70,000 people online in europe). The fact is that while the quality of iRacing can not be doubted, there is something missing.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 163 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 280 13.5%