New minor regulation changes for 2014/2015

Chris Jenkins

Driving til the wheels fall off
Source: The F1 Times

Several minor regulation changes have been announced following a Formula 1 Strategy Group meeting in Geneva on Thursday.

The group, made up from representatives of Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, Mercedes, Williams and Lotus as well as FIA president Jean Todt and Bernie Ecclestone, approved the following, though they must now be approved by the F1 Commission.

- Race stewards may now impose a five second time penalty which can be taken before work is carried out on the car in a pit stop.

- Team personnel must also wear helmets during qualifying, as well as the race.

- Drivers may not stop on the slowing down lap to save fuel for sampling and subsequent analysis; this will not be considered justifiable reason for stopping.

- For 2014 only, each team will be allowed six curfew 'jokers', previously there were two permitted. This is to allow more flexibility for working on the new engines and cars.

- The weight of the car, without fuel, must not be less than 691kg at all times during the Event. The weight limit has increased by 1kg to take into account the difference in weight between the tyres in 2013 and 2014.

Changes for 2015 have also been agreed, with the terms of a budget cap to be presented in June of this year before being implemented in January 2015.

- To be considered as a constructor, teams will now not need to design and manufacture suspension and brake ducts.

- The car minimum weight will be increased by 10kg, to 701kg, for 2015.

- All tyre heating devices will be prohibited in 2015.

- For safety reasons, the front part of the chassis will not be able to climb too steeply rearward of the front of the chassis.

I'm very surprised that a group made up of the top 5 teams + Williams have agreed to banning tyre blankets!

Clever manufacturing/revenue stream decision to say that you don't need to build your own brake ducts and suspension. Means the top teams can build and sell to the smaller teams.

- All tyre heating devices will be prohibited in 2015.
Why in the world would you do that? I bet now teams will heat their garages to sauna levels to heat tyres, while mechanics are sweating lol. Totally unneccesary dumping of modern technology which also makes for safer first laps. What next, ban radios? Ban automatic wrenches so that mechanics can only use a spanner in pitstops?

To be fair all the teams would have to do is section off a small corner of the garage and make it really hot.

Won't be quite the same but there are ways around it

Why in the world would you do that? I bet now teams will heat their garages to sauna levels to heat tyres, while mechanics are sweating lol. Totally unneccesary dumping of modern technology which also makes for safer first laps. What next, ban radios? Ban automatic wrenches so that mechanics can only use a spanner in pitstops?

+100
For the past few years the governing body has made some questionable changes which have 'dulled' this sport considerably.
F1 sadly, has now become cars running around in a fast parade with attached ads to sell products.
The actual racing is in a very distant second place.
This is what happens when you get a bunch of very rich guys running anything.
Running around with tires purposely designed to degrade and now very limited fuel is not really racing.

Well, Martini is back. But what we really need is Marlboro, West, Lucky Strike and CAMEL! With the epic liveries. :3

No thanks, i'd rather see F1 die than tobacco companies getting any visibility.. While F1 is sort of hegemony heaven, there are still some ethical and moral responsibilities; it's watched by hundreds of millions, of which considerable amount is kids and teenagers. I got no problem with alcohol company to sponsor a team, thou.. It's a dangerous drug too but at least our civilization has lived with it for thousands of years and i can't honestly say it's a death industry like tobacco.

No thanks, i'd rather see F1 die than tobacco companies getting any visibility.. While F1 is sort of hegemony heaven, there are still some ethical and moral responsibilities; it's watched by hundreds of millions, of which considerable amount is kids and teenagers. I got no problem with alcohol company to sponsor a team, thou.. It's a dangerous drug too but at least our civilization has lived with it for thousands of years and i can't honestly say it's a death industry like tobacco.
Do you actually believe what you just wrote?
I don't drink and I don't smoke and how would seeing some brands printed on a racecar get people to start? People that want to smoke/drink will do so even w/o those sponsors... I mean it's not like these companies are absolutely invisible otherwise... They have ads in magazines, in cinemas, on TV, on the Radio, etc ... why not on F1?

In what country would you find tobacco adverts in magazines, TV, radio or cinema??

That just doesn't happen any more. There's a reason for it too. It's called Social Responsibility.

I don't really want to start discussing economics now, but look at it this way: There are 22 racecars on the track with various liveries and sponsors.

Have you ever switched to verizon because of F1?
Have you ever bought some Capri-Sun because of F1?
Have you ever bought a car made by Infiniti because of F1?

So why would it be any different with tobacco and/or liquor sponsors? ;)
(I hope you see my point now)

Tobacco industry is pretty sick, immoral.. The product is addictive and notorious carcinogenic and causes more deaths than any other substance on earth.. It's not about letting kids see the ads so they starts smoking. It's about moral responsibility to not celebrate with killers, ad invents a positive image. If you look at countries that don't have tobacco ad ban, the society thinks that tobacco is actually a good thing, does not cause health issues etc.. It' is well documented fact that once tobacco ads stop showing in your vicinity, smoking starts to drop.. It's not like you get hooked on Verizon until you die from it, right?

Starting to go off topic but there are reasons why tobacco was forced to out of every international sport.

My choice of first tobacco was John Player Special, ffs. I smoked that and Marlboro as a teenager, wonder why i picked those brands being a Senna fan? I've smoked for 25 years and only recently has managed to decrease the habit (vaper ♥ )

There's not big leap between gun industry and tobacco, would you like Marussia to have AK-47s in the sidepods?

I see your point, but why ban tobacco ads in sports and TV but not in cinemas and billboards (germany)? it's all kind of half-assed to be honest. ;)

and my initial statement is still true, those sponsors (every other aspect aside) would bring a hell lot of cash :D

My first brand was Lucky strike, then switched to Marlboro then to Camel. Hmmm, why... :D
I dont dmoke much since its pretty bad for my health and i dont have the money either.

Soon the only money for sponsorship will be supermarkets.......:roflmao:

Tescos, Sainbury's, Asda, Morrisons, Waitrose (that'll be McLaren) etc etc. :barefoot:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back