McLaren MP4 is now available...can someone please give some feedback on it?

I renewed my membership and bought the car based on what I read here. All I can say is that ya'll are crazy. This thing is better than anything else on iracing but that only makes it the shiniest turd. People are saying the physics on this car are leaps and bounds better than anything else, I say a hop and a skip ahead at best.

I have spent hours just trying different wheel settings to try and find where the magic is. My wheel feels like the cheap plastic toy that it is and the brakes feel like an on off switch that reacts different every lap. The tires still perform best cold (which is so unrealistic it makes Forza more realistic) and seeing people parked on the side of the track cooling their tires for a hotlap is absolutely comical.

I don't get how a free mod like Power and Glory can make my little DFGT feel absolutely alive in my hands with nothing more than a two minute initial set up. With P&G and Netkar I am able to start pushing the car after a lap or two and actually get faster doing the things I would do in a real car....having tires that get stickier as you go is pretty nice too.

The Mclaren is better than any other car on iracing but I could not honestly recommend that any of my friends buy it.

The tires still perform best cold (which is so unrealistic it makes Forza more realistic)
Assetto Corsa is unrealistic too? They have ran into the same exact problem...
I don´t know what wheel you have but you are doing something very wrong somewhere.

"try and find different wheel settings" - no you don´t that´s problem nr1.
there´s optimal wheel settings on the forum that you should use, the only thing you should tweak after that is FFB strength in game.

You first of all have to understand the NTM is a work in progress.
It´s not some off the shelf tyre model you find in other games.

Off switch for brakes? it´s ABS on the car....... maybe the problem is you?
I assume you run these pedals?

logitech_dfgt_07_thumb.jpg

Try using a pair of those in real life in a real car and see how well you brake.
You adapt or zip it as the problem most definitely is on your end.

I think the real situation was this,

"makes quick laptime"
"finds out i´m 6 seconds off pace"
"starts complaining about cold tires despite it already being known for a very long time".

Actually no Hampus I use these:
Aq4vXgdCAAAN6dp_zps2f837e7b.jpg

Here's a situation a little closer to the truth then the generic situation that you threw out there,

"makes several sloppy tries at laps, spins out, pushes off, makes every mistake known to man"
"makes quick laptime finally"
"cool, I'm only 3 seconds off pace, usually 5"
"starts complaining, this sim feels like crap and has for the three years I've had it...but damn, laser scanned Motegi is awesome and I'll deal with crappy physics to drive it....."

I've been adapting for three years, I know that I will never have the speed of the fast guys in any sim as my talent level is mid pack at best. I'm not knocking those of you that find iracing enjoyable, I'm glad you do and a little jealous that ya'll are getting your money's worth out of it. I'm not but lucky for me there are other choices out there so I will probably choose to "zip it" for a while.

You have those pedals and you for some reason have problems with the brakes feeling like an off switch? Despite the car having ABS, which can be set in 10 different settings.
i just don´t understand how you come to that conclusion?

Btw, have you tried Optimal wheel settings and run linear mode?

Sorry about being an ass, i just get shocked sometimes by what i hear...
Seems people drive one sim. like boats in P&G, ladida ladida can drive those cars in my sleep then come to iRacing and expect the same thing or same type of physics.

edit: have to apologize as well, i was pissed last night and took it out on you, again sorry.

Because the tires give maximum grip on lap 1 and 2 you have to move your braking spot back a little bit due to less grip on lap 3 and forward.
But apart from that i´m not sure what you are doing, could be the downshift process that´s irregular or to late/early.

Because the tires give maximum grip on lap 1 and 2 you have to move your braking spot back a little bit due to less grip on lap 3 and forward.

I just did a few laps at Sebring and that's exactly it mate, thanks. I am used to start pushing on lap 3, but in this case, on lap 3, grip is lost and thus I had to take corners slower and brake earlier.

Is this normal/real or it's a problem with the MP4 NTM?

It´s an issue with the NTM for all cars unfortunately, i guess they could just write some simple code to fix it but that would defeat the purpose of the New Tire Model and what their goal is with it.

You can keep that "new" braking spot for a while, probably 15-20 laps if you treat the tires well and don´t overheat them but then you´ll start to degrade and wear down the tires (like other games and real life) and have to move it slightly back again, not much though, you´ll be slower out of corners anyways so it might cancel each other out meaning your top speed will be lower at the end of the straight.

-
Also don´t abuse the car, if the setup is weird for you just tweak it until it fits and be smooth with the car in the high speed stuff, you can see in my video the only place i toss it around is chicanes or hairpins.

It´s all about finding out what the car likes, and when you understand what the car likes you can say "ok but this is what i like" and you have to make a compromise between the two.

Also known as adapting one self, as well as adapting the car (setup work).
Man and machine where the goal is to create "one" :)

Assetto Corsa is unrealistic too? They have ran into the same exact problem...
I don't think there's a good real time model for temperature effect at all. No wonder weather forecast is always wrong :D

On the other hand not having to fight cold tires when the actual temp modelling isn't as good as the rest of the model isn't the worst solution. After all temperature changes the whole tire compound and pressure.

I'm not saying it's a good solution when it completely eliminates any necessary tire warm up as that's part of racing, of course.

I don't get how a free mod like Power and Glory can make my little DFGT feel absolutely alive in my hands with nothing more than a two minute initial set up.
You're used to the feedback, the physics, the FOV, the camera movement. All these things are communicating you what is happening with the car.

I remember playing for the first time in nKP (about 3 years ago), the sim felt completely lifeless and FFB simply wrong. After a hundreds of laps, it feels really good right now.

I've struggled with iRacing too, the game changer for me was the Motion Cockpit View plugin, since then I've started to feel the cars, they are magically had more grip, felt more predictable and I have been able to save from really deep slides. I don't know if MCV will help you too, it's totally personal thing, but in every sim, you have to find your way to understand what it is telling you.
One thing I recommend you to look at is the FOV. Remember, that most titles (ISI engine, nKP) calculate FOV vertically, while iRacing is doing it horizontally, so in iRacing you always should use higher FOV than in other titles - the exact value depends on your screen ratio, I'm using 16:10 monitor, so for example 35 degrees in rF/GTR/nKP equals 54 degrees in iRacing.

All I can say, McLaren is for me absolutely the best simracing car I've ever driven and I've driven almost all of them :).
Try also Dirks setups from fifth page of "McLaren MP4-12C GT3 setups shop" thread - for me those setups are brilliant and work well on almost every track.

Good luck.

from a vette player pov, releasing the mclaren mid-season was just dreadful, it mixes up all the numbers big time and basically means that if you had drop races in the first part of the season, you are not going to recover your points. But that just says sth. about marketing trumpeting customer support back at iRacing (which is totally fine by me, the more content they sell, the bigger the grids, the more likely you are finding chaps your size) says nothing about the mclaren..
Haven't yet bought it, probably going to buy it for season 2 in 2013 once the initial hubub as calmed down and numbers start getting a bit more realistic again.

Not now, ABS is like "i got this idiot..." :)
Not even close to the ABS in the Mustang and Mazda but proper race ABS, feels great actually.

Ah, that's why the folks in it brake that good, currently driving the Vette against it a little bit. I think never saw them locking up....
Decent drivers in it, the only place in Zandvoort to overtake, I think, is the straight...

Not much racing overall at the moment, but really considering purchasing it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back