Just played iRacing

Well, I decided to spend about 15 bucks today on iracing, just to see what it's like. I started with the Solstice, but that was SOOOO boring. For the life of me, I can't drive slow cars. But then I decided to just buy the indycar. MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That thing is the best car I've ever drove in any video game, totally worth the money.

And the graphics are top quality on iracing, I had no idea. It's the perfect fusion of both graphics and physics, simply breath taking. Driving the Indycar was pure fun, even if I couldn't complete a clean lap. :tongue:

Race 07 may have to sit on the shelf for a while as I play more iracing:D. The only thing that sucks is that I don't think I'll be able to race my Indycar until I get this rank thing up... booo!!!

Out of curiosity, if you are not a fast driver and is always coming in last place in a race, but all your races are clean and incident free, do you still get promoted? Or does your place and race standings results factor into it as well? If the former, wouldn't everyone simply drive as slow as they can all the time just so they can get promoted faster?

Out of curiosity, if you are not a fast driver and is always coming in last place in a race, but all your races are clean and incident free, do you still get promoted? Or does your place and race standings results factor into it as well? If the former, wouldn't everyone simply drive as slow as they can all the time just so they can get promoted faster?

Isamu, promotions are 100% about Safety Rating. In order to advance in license level you don't need to be fast just avoid incidents. Thus, the higher the license level the cleaner the drivers and races. Rookie races have the most accidents typically and A Class races the least.

If you're slow and finish at the bottom of races, you're iRating will drop, so you'll continue to be put in with other slow drivers, so eventually most will start winning or finishing at the top of their race. Even the slowest drivers probably win some races, because they typically would not get put in a race with aliens.

It's a pretty good system to try and give everyone clean, competitive races.

No i have never played this game so i dont know how good it really is so this is what i see from the outside stand point what are all the poeple that play this game thinking with what i have just read (Ramon's post) i think every one is just mad all that money for nuffing i just cant get my head around it i mean is it really that much better then rfactor? i really really cant see how they are getting away with it just goes to show in this day an age there are still componys willing to rob poeple blind sorry if this post upsets anyone but thats how i see it just my 2 pence:)

Probably one of those, suck it and see moments. iRacing is only 'value' for money if you consider it is 'value for money'. Your budget, circumstances and desires will change, so one day you will think it is a rip off and then another day you will think it was the best experience ever.

I hated the idea when it was first announced (too many years being able to buy content, when I wanted, to upgrade my MSFS). However - people will spend when they think the outlay is worth the benefits. For me, the racing experience (tactile feedback) is far superior to rFactor (doesn't even compare). The risks involved in racing are higher (incident points, losing your licence etc.) so I get much more of a rewarding feeling when I finish a race, where I had close battles throughout, and look at my incident reports and see '0'. I don't get that sense of achievement with anything else. And when you consider the good points made by others (that I have 'paid' for that car or that track) to know that my on track behaviour and how I approach the race will dictate whether I can continue to race in the series... Then no - rFactor, Simbin etc. doesn't currently have anything that (for me) compares.

The point about it being a hobby is probaby the important one. Because some people spend ridiculous amounts of money (to other people) when indulging in their hobbies: moddle aircraft, radio-controlled cars, track days, fishing, photography, travelling etc. The list is endless. I have a friend who's labour of love is his fish pond. To this day I don't understand why he has spent thousands of pounds on fish, re-laying the pond (keeps leaking) replacing the dead fish (they always die) and all the pumps, food, chemicals. To me - shear madness!!!

Ask him what he thinks about my G25, iRacing subscription, TrackIR :D... Just different strokes for different folks!

NB - just some of the purchases I made when I was immersed in virtual flight:

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=ld767fsx
http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=7
http://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/product/738.html

I also purchased airports, weather programmes and all sorts of add-ons. I don't want to think of the costs because it would have gone in to the £100's.

Now - when you consider that MSFS comes with stock aircraft, airports and weather system, and that all of those purchases were just to have fancier versions (no need for them at all), you kind of get why I now don't really have a big problem with the iRacing business model. Hell - if they introduce local weather... :D.

Ok, now I get where you're coming from... I don't know a single friend who has never paid for a movie, cable or a cell phone. I'd say that borders on eccentric.

Count me as eccentric too then. I sure as hell don't have cable (don't even own a TV any more), I don't have a cell phone contract (I have a PAYG Cell phone..with no credit on it, ever. People can either ring me or I'll use Skype) and I dont go to the rip off cinemas for movies.

Still, that leaves me money for iRacing instead, so I'm not that mad ;)

I have been playing Iracing for about two weeks now and I really like it (thanks for all the tips guys ), I have done some testing with the VW jetta TDI ( My favorite at the moment ) and zandvoort ( two times additional purchase ) I have some real live experience on that track and i must say its very good
I also found this doc ( http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc22r372_44k89k4rd3 its in dutch but maby you can use google translate ) it gives you some important beginners tips on the dashboard and the do's and don'ts off Iracing .

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 248 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 305 13.0%