F1 2012 Is using two feets faster than using one ?

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
This will look like a dumb question for some of you,but i was wondering if using one foot for the throttle and the other for brakes would be faster than using one foot for both ...

I ask this because i used to play other sims which had clutch support and was using one foot for the throttle and brakes ! and found it pretty hard to use two foots on the G27 which has the pedals very close to each other :D.

Thanks for your feedback ;)

PS: fix the title please "Feet" lol

I like you (and dare I say alot of people) played sims that required a clutch, as well in the real world drive a manual car. So it's only natural your brain says 'hey brake with your natural foot'.

However if you don't need to use the clutch it is it slower? Well yes. Certainly is. I've now learned to be a two feet person. It will certainly give you more precision.

I think from memory long ago and people will be able to comment on this, but even some F1 racers were one foot peddle people. I remember reading that Rubens during his Ferrari days was a single foot person and this lead to the notion he couldn't be as smooth as Michael.

If you want to try left foot braking on the G27, then just remap the brake function to the clutch pedal in-game. This will the give you the more comfortable foot separation.

If you like it, then if you wish you can actually swap the pedals (brake and clutch) physically, so that you get the brake pedal 'feel/tension' back. That would void your warranty though.

It's all down to whether you use that clutch pedal in other games .....

If you want to try left foot braking on the G27, then just remap the brake function to the clutch pedal in-game. This will the give you the more comfortable foot separation.

That was one of the downsides to the g27, the closeness of the pedals when you only need break and accelerator. So thanks for that idea... I'm used to using two feet, having them so close gets uncomfortable after a few hours. I will definitely try that one :)

Original post:
For F1, I would definitely say two feet is quicker than one. Without the need for the clutch, if you use two feet it eases the workload to your right foot :p

I drive a manual car and there's no way in hell I can brake with my left foot gently and smoothly (and I've tried). I just don't get any "feel" from the pedal (what's worse: it's a Citroen with a hydropneumatic suspension and brakes system, which makes the brake pedal quite a lot stiffer than in "normal" cars).
When I'm racing however, I can't imagine braking with my right foot. It's the exact opposite to driving a real car - I brake with my left foot and very rarely lock the wheels (even in the wet), but if I had to use my right one, I'd slide out of EVERY corner.
Oh, and it IS faster to use both feet - you simply don't waste time to move your right foot from pedal to pedal. You can even press both, if you want to simulate Massa's crash in 2009 :p

This will look like a dumb question for some of you,but i was wondering if using one foot for the throttle and the other for brakes would be faster than using one foot for both ...

I ask this because i used to play other sims which had clutch support and was using one foot for the throttle and brakes ! and found it pretty hard to use two foots on the G27 which has the pedals very close to each other :D.

Well, I'm racing against the top top players and to be honest it doesn't matter that much unless you're on a certain track. There are a few tracks that you just simply can't move your feet that fast. I mean, I do it really fast, I can make a video so ppl can see, but it's just impossible. For example on Spa - Sector 2 I lose some time thanks to that. I just can't brake with left foot. But I was saying, on Spa you just need to click the brake for a thousand of a sec and go straight on the throttle - this is where I lose time. And I've developed some strange driving style so I compromise this lack of fast click and straight on the throttle. But yea, I usually have to just lift off throttle and wait for the car to decelerate. Nothing you can really do about it.

But if you're in the beginning of learning - you should just go ahead and switch to left foot. Losing like 1 tenth a lap doesn't really matter. Because when u go to the top you'll have problems. I'm losing like 1 sec a lap & more if I brake with my left foot. Tried using the clutch and etc, I just don't get the same feel. It's probably due to the position I sit on the desk because I have no problems when I go karting. I'm forced to use left foot there and I have absolutely no problems. But in the game, I just can't.

It's up to you to change that. I just don't have the time to develop my left foot because I have league races and I have to be at my best on them. Can't really waste gametime to learn braking with left foot. Like I said, if you can - learn left foot braking.

Lol, why dont you just try it and see what works best for you, instead of opening a thread?

I started asking this question after trying to beat some leaderboard laptimes on Sao Paulo ... i managed to make 1:10:123 but it was the best i could ... i couldn't see where i am exactly losing time,until i played against VixDrop's ghost and i noticed that he takes the first corner extremly fast,and there's no way you can do it without pressing the throttle at an exact spot ... and i at that moment i always find my foot on the brakes :D

Most of my lap times are 1,5 sec less than the top of leaderboards (well i don't count the first 3 cheaters),except in singapore where i am a bit off the pace :D

Thanks for your replies guys,it really helps ;)

Tophercheese
Well,you had a brainbug when you asked this question i guess :D

Well,simply because i don't master it yet,i have no idea about the final result ... i am just asking if it will make me faster ... in other words if it's worth learning it :D

@ToperCheese
Well,you had a brainbug when you asked this question i guess :D

Well,simply because i don't master it yet,i have no idea about the final result ... i am just asking if it will make me faster ... in other words if it's worth learning it :D

Oh, sorry, i have no problem with you asking, it's just i thought you might save some time if you actually try it first. And try to master it.

FYI: Yes, left foot braking is faster, saves time, and is easier.
FYI 2: It's spelt "Tophercheese".

lol

Yes because you save the time that your one foot normally travels from throttle to brake. Plus with trail braking technique you need to feet anyway. Although that effect is much less in F1 2012 than in full simulators

Thanks for your efforts Nenov,i really appreciate you did especialy for this thread :D

I noticed that using both feet is more useful for circuits like Monaco and Singapore also suzuka in the first sector !

No, no. Monaco, I don't think. It's actually one of my favorite tracks.

Suzuka, it was hard on first sector but after some practice it wasn't that much of a problem.

Like I said, my biggest problem is Spa - Sector 2. Never had so many problems on other tracks. Silverstone is quite tricky too.

Yes because you save the time that your one foot normally travels from throttle to brake. Plus with trail braking technique you need to feet anyway. Although that effect is much less in F1 2012 than in full simulators

My biggest problem is that when I have to switch pedals I can't instantly push the brakes. I have to first feel the pedal then to use it. So I lose like some parts of the second before I push the brakes. It's just that if I just slam the brakes I have no feel for them. I have to feel them => use them. With 2 feet - you always have that feel of the brake pedal and can use it instantly.

Wow Kristian, why do you hate your brake pedal so much to resort to violence :D.

Like I said in my upper post, I need to feel the pedal before I use it. And if the corner is a corner I can slam the brakes to max I do it so I get the feel from that. I slam them and I'm 100% sure they're 100% activated. Otherwise it's time wasting to get that feel. And plus that I want to compromise time for switching pedals. Try it and you'll see.

Like I said in my upper post, I need to feel the pedal before I use it. And if the corner is a corner I can slam the brakes to max I do it so I get the feel from that. I slam them and I'm 100% sure they're 100% activated. Otherwise it's time wasting to get that feel. And plus that I want to compromise time for switching pedals. Try it and you'll see.

Yes, well I can get that as my 'left' foot is never actually on the brake until I want to use it, much like when driving a real car you move your left foot to the side of the clutch I do the same when racing. I guess though I have more time to find it, or I just know where it is but I never ever slam on the brakes like that.

Yes, well I can get that as my 'left' foot is never actually on the brake until I want to use it, much like when driving a real car you move your left foot to the side of the clutch I do the same when racing. I guess though I have more time to find it, or I just know where it is but I never ever slam on the brakes like that.

To be honest, I thought so too. Until I watched some of my recordings. You should record and see by yourself. I'm pretty sure u do. The only person who doesn't would be Victor as he's super duper extra smooth. :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 140 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 104 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 143 13.8%