Important Message

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
Future Development

The past year has seen me work pretty much full time on BTB with a couple of side projects helping fund BTB development. That has meant between 12-16 hours every day with very few days off.

Whilst I have enjoyed indulging myself in BTB development and have added a lot of good features, continuing in this manner is not financially possible. Sales haven’t been anywhere near what is needed to sustain this rate of development.

My kids are growing older and naturally more demanding, the wife wants an occasional holiday and it would be irresponsible of me (and impossible) to continue solely on BTB income. A recent offer to join one of the leading game development teams at what they call "good income" still is a financial step backwards compared to what had been my regular job.

So, somewhat sadly, having given a lot to track building (very willingly of course) it is now time to devote more of my life to my family and to other areas of my life in order to live a more balanced existence.

Henceforth I am back into the regular development world and BTB development will continue at a more relaxed pace.

Licenses

Licenses are generated for a CPU and Motherboard.
I have had a few users request for licenses to be reset because they have had hardware failures. On occasion I get someone asking for a second license for another of their own machines, and after I reject their request, they later cite they hardware failure as a reason.

Given that I have no way of determining if a request for a new license after hardware failure is genuine or not; nor do I have any control over how well a user looks after their hardware; I have decided to reject all such requests. If your hardware fails, you will need to wait for your existing license to expire, then generate a HardwareId.txt file and upload it in order for a new license to be generated.

I will be resetting all licenses with v0.9 so if you are currently locked out because of hardware failure, you will be able to generate a new license again soon. If you wish to help test the Beta, then that will be even sooner.

Windows Vista and Windows 7

Windows XP is listed as a requirement for BTB.

More people are moving to Windows 7 and hence are asking for me to reset their licenses so that they can run under the new operating system.
I still do not have either operating system and will refuse to assist anyone attempting to run BTB on anything other than Windows XP running on a PC.

The version 0.9 release does contain some updates to the 3rd-party HardwareId generation application so it will be more stable when generating the HardwareId number. This might help some users where the HardwareId number changes upon reboot or where removable drives are causing fluctuations.

Emails

Ironically, despite the lack of sales, I get many emails a day asking for free BTB/Track building help. This is something which I cannot personally answer in any kind of satisfactory detail. Please continue to use these forums as a primary resource of assistance.

And as usual ... please read the sticky threads. I do intend on updating these over time and the tutorial videos too, but I can't give a date on when that might happen.

Thanks,
Brendon.

screenbtblicenceafn0.png

i have nothing else :sweat:

Brendon all the best and thanks for the great work that you have presented to all of us who are enjoying making tracks and those that are made and in use thanks to your work.
Hope the updates still flow when your time permits you to complete them and the others who are supplying us with the Xpacks.
So to you all thank you...

When I upgrade to Win7 I will be purchasing a new hard drive.
If I run a dual boot system with my current HD as XP and my new HD as Win7, will I have a licensing issue? or would I have to disconnect the new HD to run BTB on XP?

I did the same thing a few months back, and i had to re-apply for a licence.

Although mine was Win7 over where XP was, so not sure on that one.

Maybe nothing will change if you only run it in XP, or were you hoping to run it from win7?

It is really amazing. You implement a licensing system with serious flaws, you decide to ignore all requests for help arising from this flaws while promising a backdoor when the 0.9 version is released and then you dissappear into thin air... Do I really need to give my opinion ?

Yep , calm down and argue ;)
imho it seems that some are frustrated, means btw that this is a great tool.
I think I understand Brandon (maybe) He created some prg so we noobs can build tracks, right ?
After months of programming he shared the final result. Buy it or don't.
Unfortunately after buying, the support seems to be a little confusing for some, sometimes?
Those who are complaining overhere are missing some braincells.
There are many roads wich leads to Rome.

Stop pissing off Brandon, try to think, don't cry here, use your ****ing braincells !

the problem is that your license can stop working for little or no reason, mine stoped because I updated my mobo and graphics drivers and as I'd selected a year long license before Brendon decided to stop supporting BTB (and at the same time ignore all efforts to contact him via PM and email) it left me with several months where I couldn't use a product I'd paid for and always recommended. This is a highly frustrating position to be in and I can fully understand everyone that vents their fury at this totally moronic licensing system. If Brendon doesn't want to answer emails or support BTB then remove this system and walk away, then there will be no need for anyone to get upset.

Until such time I'm sure we'll have plenty more posts popping up over time that will piss him off.

me either, but it's maybe a solution for those who cant solve their problems ?

What if person buys the license for BTB, but then seeks for a c**** to allow himself to use the software without crippled licensing system? At least I have done that with some retail games which require cd/dvd to play. I support those who make the software I want to use, but I definitely don't want to be affected by impractical copy protection systems in a software I OWN license of. Another thing of course is that you "support" the work of people who crack these programs, but I think as a software buyer, I have right to choose if I want to get rid of the copy systems if they negatively affect the usability.

Any thoughts? And no, I don't have illegal copy of BTB, in fact I don't have any sort of working copy now that the 2 week trial has expired.

left me with several months where I couldn't use a product I'd paid for and always recommended. This is a highly frustrating position to be in and I can fully understand everyone that vents their fury at this totally moronic licensing system.

Hear hear. Server-based online licensing will *never*, *ever* work. And this is a prime example why.
Never trust "the Cloud".

isohunt ?

Isohunt.

I've said it on another forum and I'll say it again - when copyprotection systems fail, we'll always need to turn to the pirates, ironically, for some much-needed pain relief.

Regards, R

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back