HistorX Hints and Tips

Welcome to this Hints and Tips section for the HistorX mod for rFactor. Here we will try to offer help and advice to anyone wishing to use or requiring help for this brilliant mod. To start off with, it is HIGHLY recommended that you install the mod to a clean/fresh install of rFactor. We would also recommend installing the Lite version as it is a smaller download and takes up less space on the hard drive. It's also very important to follow the instructions in the associated manual carefully as this will minimise any mistakes and errors.

1. It is recommended to keep 1 install of rFactor strictly for use with the HistorX mod as installing other mods could cause errors. Also, renaming this as “HistorX” during the install will aid you in finding it in the folder structure and avoid any clash if a second install of rFactor is used. If you want to use other mods with rFactor then make a second install and use this for any other mods you wish.

2. If you have rFactor installed on Windows 8 or later then it needs to be run with administrator privileges in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

3. We no longer use XD as our in game hud overlay as it doesn't seem to work correctly when used in conjunction with the Historx mod. GID Hud Overlay is now the plugin of choice and you can get it HERE. Many thanks to Davy Vandevenne for pointing us to this resource.

4. If you install the mod on Windows 8 or later and want to use the GID Hud Overlay then it may throw up an error stating that dx3d9_40.dll is missing. If this is the case then you'll need 2 extra files called dx3d9_40.dll. Although both files are named identically they are different file sizes and reside in different locations. You can find the files HERE. use at your own risk
  5. DXSDK_June10.exe contains the dx3d9_40.dll HERE

6. If you are using GID hud and the game keeps crashing then make sure you don't have any other overlay (including the Teamspeak or Overwolf overlay) enabled. It seems that they both utilise D3D9.dll and conflict with each other.

7. If you are using GID hud but your engine health stays at 100% then replace the rFactor.exe with this one HERE. Many thanks to Roland Warmenhoven for figuring this one out and providing the resource.

8. If you want to turn off the track map in the GID Hud Overlay then you can do this by pressing the 0 (zero) key on the numeric keypad.

9. Changing the “Number of concurrent servers” entry in the \UserData\your_name\Multiplayer.ini file from 400 to 999 will help you to find our servers by displaying more entries in the list.

10. When choosing your vehicle take note of the “Power” info in the vehicle specifications pane... e.g. Power 116kw @ 7,400. This will give you a safe rev limit when changing gear. You may find that you can rev higher than this but there is a risk of rev spikes when changing gears which could damage the engine health.

These are just a few hints/tips and suggestions to help you along the way and we hope that they do just that. If you you have any other hints or tips that you feel could be added to this list then please post them below and we'll update this post as and when we can.

You can also post hot links to software that can help get the best out of rfactor.

Type in the name of the app/gadget, highlight it and then hit the link button in the bar above. The green+ and paste in the link, this will look allot better than just the full web address.

Spotter guide for rfactor (a friendly voice keeping you up to date whilst on track) Big thanks to Davy Vandevenne
T500 profile for rFactor
4Gig patch for win 7x64 allows sim to use more than 2 gig of memory
rfDynHUD motecXD style hud interface whilst in game (Java Runtine enviroment 6)
rfDynHud
Manual Damage Control. Choose what level of repair you need (if any).

or you can download the pack for RD HERE

Last edited:
Try your hand at a flyer with a template click on the one you use
GIMP XCF file
PHOTOSHOP PSD file

Find a nice screen shot from each class and copy the picture into the template provided
you may need to reduce it in size to fit.
Check in the game folder to see which class the cars come under
Games\HistorX\rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\HISTORIC GT\HISTORICAL FIA GT

Pitstop and penalty:
During the course of the race you might receive a penalty, for those who are not familiar with rFactor you can either receive a drive through or stop and go penalty, in the case of a drive through penalty simply drive through the pit lane under the pit speed limit and resume racing once out of the pit lane. In the case of a stop and go penalty when you will enter the pit lane the pit menu will appear do not do anything simply stop in your pit box and when told drive out under the pit speed limit and resume racing once out of the pit lane.

to make a pit stop as smooth as possible it is recommended to map the keys you want to use to navigate through the pitstop menu or look at the default keys that are set, it is also recommended to modify your PLR file the following way:

[ Game Options ]
Relative Fuel Strategy="1" // Show how much fuel to ADD, rather than how much TOTAL fuel to fill the tank up to
Smart Pitcrew="0" // Pitcrew does things even if you mistakenly forgot to ask (one example is changing a damaged tire) Change from 1 to 0
Automatic Pit Menu="4" // brings up pit menu automatically: 0=disabled, 1=upon pit ENTRY, change cockpit menu but do not bring up HUD, 2=pit ENTRY->cockpit & HUD, 3=pit REQUEST->cockpit menu only, 4=pit REQUEST->cockpit & HUD
Miscellaneous="0"

Keep Received Setups="3"
Default="1" Setting this to 3 allows you to keep all setups sent to you for all time.
You have to manually clean out your received setups folder but setting this to "3" is good incase you
forget to save a good setup someone sent you.

Last edited:
I've been wondering why the grinding tranny mod wasn't working for me. Last night I read the read me again and I noticed that it says you have to map the neutral key to N and ensure that shift up and shift down are not mapped to any key/controller button.
Bingo, it worked for me. If I snatch a shift and hit the gas before the h shifter is fully engaged, I miss the shift. I very quickly got used to it but I think my times are slower. More realism = less speed. The choice is yours. ;)

More realism = less speed. The choice is yours. ;)

It does depend on the quality of your shifter. If your shifter is as good as a real car then fine but if its like the G25 it is not really more realistic.

Also the grinding tranny mod requires a speed match to change gears when all the cars in the HistorX mod have synchromesh in reality and do not require a precise speed match to change gears.

I turfed the XD and i'm now using the GID and it is much more better and accurate :thumbsup:

rFactor2014-04-0402-41-05-78.jpg

I have mine set to bare basics but that is all i need :thumbsup:

Thanks Rupe and Steven for pointing out the GID to me while online :thumbsup:

I was trying to type in chat whilst on track when I noticed a message come up. At the same time, my force feed back dropped off. It turned out that I had pressed the G key which, by default, activates/deactivates hardware plugins. I have now unmapped the G key so that I can't deactivate hwp by accident.

I've noticed that a few of the guys have reported loosing ffb and that the reset ffb key doesn't restore it. It may be that we've all been falling foul of this and might therefore be wise for everyone to unmap the G key or at least be aware of what it's mapped to?

here's another tip that can very useful guy's ;) its a line you can change in your PLR file that enable you to keep the receive setup folder and its content after you left an online race.

Keep Received Setups="3"
Default="1" Setting this to 3 allows you to keep all setups sent to you for all time.
You have to manually clean out your received setups folder but setting this to "3" is good incase you
forget to save a good setup someone sent you.

ok im getting the shacking thing,
ok got it installed but when you have 2 peddal shifter upgrade some of the car start to shack weird in game when shift up or shift down if got a shifter on wheel what we do to fix this thanks? and where i get the track pack for mod thansk that gose with it thanks i did try the fix recamened on fourm didnt work what now still shacking when i shift up or down any help the fix didnt work what now i do thanks

ok im getting the shacking thing,
ok got it installed but when you have 2 peddal shifter upgrade some of the car start to shack weird in game when shift up or shift down if got a shifter on wheel what we do to fix this thanks? and where i get the track pack for mod thansk that gose with it thanks i did try the fix recamened on fourm didnt work what now still shacking when i shift up or down any help the fix didnt work what now i do thanks
There is no track pack afaik, you have to download them one by one of the known rF track sites. Regarding the shaking thing, a lot of us won't be able to help you since most (i think?) use a shifter, i recall someone mentioning this problem once in the club.
Don't know who or how he fixed it though, i'm sorry.

@Jarek Kostowski
i use a shifter that on my wheel for got to tell you this thanks now can you help me my dumbness came into play just dont got a cluch but it has a sifter nob on wheel i use it all time what i do now
Sorry i meant an H-pattern shifter, the one you got (on the DFGT i assume) acts just like a sequential shifter or the wheel-paddles.
I can't help you i'm afraid, but you might try if my controller.ini changes anything for you (it's set up for H-shifting though, so you will have to remap "shift up" and "shift down").

Here it is:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/quf2pp

Put it into \Historic GT & Touring Cars\UserData\Your Profilename and overwrite.

@Jarek Kostowski
i use a shifter that on my wheel for got to tell you this thanks now can you help me my dumbness came into play just dont got a cluch but it has a sifter nob on wheel i use it all time what i do now

Sorry for the late reply. This sounds like something which was dealt with by @Ian Strom on page 5 of the thread HistorX mod v1.96. Basically the grinding tranny mod is affecting the different views when changing gear. I think the solution can be found HERE.
Hope this helps and hope to see you racing online in our club real soon. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi guys wondering if someone had the same. I have problem in rf1 and HistoricX , Truck2013 and GSC 2012 (other sims like Raceroom/ AC ..... it works normaly) with changing the control/input for example if i wanna change steering then (normally you click on steer left and then you can change this through other input, but if i click on a random setting to change then my mouse immediately changes it into JoyB3 . getting crazy from this :mad:

SOLVED by Jarek :):):):):):):whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless:

Last edited:
Hi guys wondering if someone had the same. I have problem in rf1 and HistoricX , Truck2013 and GSC 2012 (other sims like Raceroom/ AC ..... it works normaly) with changing the control/input for example if i wanna change steering then (normally you click on steer left and then you can change this through other input, but if i click on a random setting to change then my mouse immediately changes it into JoyB3 . getting crazy from this :mad:
Maybe you're trying to map the other functions with your shifter in gear? Happens to me sometimes...

Maybe you're trying to map the other functions with your shifter in gear? Happens to me sometimes...
Hi Jarek thanks the logitech shifter in gear position that was the first problem , 2nd part that wasnt reconnizing my csw steer was because there were to many devices connected to my pc for rf1 disconnected generic usb joystick plus my logitech shifter and now csw plus g27 pedals are working.

I was slightly annoyed by some 3D objects popping up slightly later on a few tracks and came across this useful tweak, it won't create any mismatches and has only upsides if you're not running an ancient PC:

To significantly increase draw distance of 3D objects on all tracks you should use a higher "LODMultiplier" value in the "HISTORICFIAGT.cam" file.

Go to "GameData\Vehicles\HISTORIC GT\HISTORICAL FIA GT", open the .cam file (there's only one).

The default setting is: LODMultiplier=(1.00000)
I changed it to: LODMultiplier=(10.00000)

Be sure to change the multiplier for the appropriate view you are using, changing multipliers for hood view will have no effect in cockpit.

This is easily done in a few seconds, fixed all 3D pop ups on all tracks for me, didn't have a noticable impact on fps and causes no mismatches online. If your pc struggles to run rFactor at decent framerates in the first place, you might want to skip this or use a lower value than i did though.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 305 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.6%