I used to race this all the time and I know a few lads who would still be up for a race, could easily host a race as well.

Why not try and arrange something say early December? then that way it gives everyone a chance to get set up and practice :)

I've now got some mods up and running... and slowly getting to know my way around the system.. there were a few opppps moments but I got there in the end..

Some of the mods are a bit quick for me at the moment and its very hard work to keep the cars on track, but its one heck of a challenge ... I've gone back to the original cars and they are just so much fun...:)

I can see many hours of fun with this sim.. yep it old and it shows but I don't care.But the feel is better than some of the newer sims....Bring it on ..:thumbsup:

i've even had my dad having a blast..its great watching his face as he driving round:speechless:

Okay, so i download GPL demo and this happens, please help

Attachments

• gpl problem.png
    gpl problem.png
    239.5 KB · Views: 775
Maybe you will find your answers in (HERE) or (HERE) or links to help..:) I also had problems with the demo and found it all went away when i bought the cd of the game and followed the instruction in the second link.. it well worth it and hassle free for under 5 pounds..:)

Hehe. I've still got my original copy of this game. Might have to take it for another spin. I always liked the "feel" of the cars but I found it abit to difficult at the time to keep my car on the track!

Hehe. I've still got my original copy of this game. Might have to take it for another spin. I always liked the "feel" of the cars but I found it abit to difficult at the time to keep my car on the track!
original copy Hold on to it its a classic :thumbsup: like having a jaguar E from 1963
its the Mother ship of hard-core simracing...

Last edited:
1955 Grand Prix Legends.png

Despite Grand Prix Legends being due to celebrate its nineteenth birthday since changing the sim racing landscape back in 1998, the ever active mod community have continued to grow and expand the list of classic content within the title. Recently a new preview video has emerged showing off the latest creation due to hit the sim - 1955 Formula One!

In recent times several talented modders have been at work developing a recreation of the 1955 Grand Prix season for GPL, and the latest preview of the fruits of that labor can now been seen in the new trailer released a few days ago on YouTube. Now I must admit it was only because of a heads up from @Sergio Loro that I found out about this mod, and despite the obviously dated software the preview trailer does look exceptionally intriguing.

Grand Prix Legends 1955 F1 Promotion Movie
At this stage not a lot is known about this latest modification for GPL, however speculation remains that the mod will be released as a free download during Q1 2017. It interests me greatly that a title of such 'vintage' still has a following heading in to 2017, and I would love to hear from you about your experiences with GPL, and why you still boot up the title after all these years.

If you do still play Grand Prix Legends please let us all know how you think the game stacks up compared to modern day simulators in the comments section below!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

The GPL modding groups make the best and most atmospheric promo movies of all. Period (yes, three of them now).

Yep... always great videos from GPL ! Not typical bare gameplay recordings haha

I think GPL must be in simracers steam library, going to buy it. Also still waiting for Richard Burns Rally to hit steam.

I think GPL must be in simracers steam library, going to buy it. Also still waiting for Richard Burns Rally to hit steam.

Don't think Square Enix is going to bother with RBR, but actually quite surprised that iRacing haven't put out GPL on Steam, would give them money after all...

This trailer also got me wanting to install GPL again, but I know when I did it on my old PC, I had it for 3 years without starting it once... But I still have some GPLRank goals to fulfill!

GPL is great!! and the 1955 mod are going to change the way everyone raced :)
if you can live without lighting/real shadows and select the up-to-date tracks and cars you can have great time with this sim. it is great for offline racing, most of the mods (65/66/67/69) had race per race grids, and almost any track used back on the 60's it is avaliable. I like to think about GPL like a virtual library :)
Thanks Paul to point this out :) The guys behind this mod are truly artist :)

I too would love to see GPL on Steam.

I think one of the challenges is that when people think of the greatness of GPL, they are picturing the phenomenal experience depicted in the video above...which is the result of countless hours of community modification. The base game, which I personally consider an critical hallmark in the history of sim racing, bears very little resemblence to what you see depicted above.

On the other hand, much the same could be said for rFactor. If you put HistorX and base rFactor side by side, they bear very little resemblence...Yet, there is rFactor for sale on Steam.

In conclusion, I have no point - I simply find the sound of typing soothing! :D

If you do still play Grand Prix Legends please let us all know how you think the game stacks up compared to modern day simulators in the comments section below!

Grand Prix Legends is unique to every other sim. The reason is in the modding community itself, more than in the software: what they deliver is not only a mod but a full documentary experience. Every race has the list of contendants which attended the real event, and they perform similarly to what they did back in the day. Every car is maniacally detailed. To let you understand, real pictures are extensively used even to reproduce the correct font for the car numbers per race (they were not standardized back then). You get to see the history of motor racing. As I said, is like a documentary, but one you get to actually live and not just watch. Plus you can always use a generic list of entries if you want always the same cars to enter every race. Why you wanna do so? Well because AI learns from it's previous results, and change it's aggressiveness, experience and therefore results depending on how good or bad they are doing in the championship. Just like humans. Plus cars have failures realistic to their real "original" defects. These are all unique to GPL features. Plus no stupid BOP, every car performs how it really performed, every car has it's soul, so that you get to understand that even the underdogs are fun and can have a chance on the big boys sometimes. And you can live this experience for 65/66/67/69 F1 seasons, 66/71 CanAm beasts, 67 WSC, 67 F2 and new one are in store for the future, like Tasman series, more WSC and F1. Each reproducing the particularities of the cars present. So, massive torque 66 CanAm, aerodinamic dependant 71 CanAm with slick tires, prone to failure on long time races WSC cars, "take-me-to-the-edge-and-stay-there" F2 and 65 F1 cars and so on. There is nothing like GPL, and probably never will, for the historic simracer. That's why you should all try it ;) it runs on all OS, including latest Win10 and Linux. The community has prepared a specific installer to make it work on today PCs and will help you whatever issues you may encounter.

I really love GPL, just like RBR.

But, to play both of these sims, you have to be a very patient person.
First, you'll need to find a good source to download them, since they're not available to buy anywhere
(except physical versions on ebay, which is useless for most people).
Then, to set up properly takes a considerable amount of time - from resolution to wheel rotation.

When you get things ready, oh boy, it's a one way trip. You won't regret it.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 249 13.4%