WIP Gizmo Trail

A screenshot of the current layout of the latest WIP. May change quite alot.
Gizmo Trail is a huge track based on djgizmo aka gizmo aka gizmoy's early
tracks for Racer - combined.

More screenshots will be fired in the same direction as the track evolves.
URL: http://alge.anart.no/projects/racer/gallery/index.php?q=gizmos_trail/1

DOWNLOAD BETA01 PRE-RELEASE: Gizmos_Trail-beta01-061210.7z

IF YOU ACCIDENTLY DOWNLOADED Gizmos_Trail-beta01-021110.7z
then please download the version above! (I uploaded the wrong one at first)

Hm, hard to tell from the wireframed shot what it will exactly look like, but the idea is good, and it looks like there will be plenty of area to drive through, but what is going in the top right area above Mountain Pass?

Ah perfect, finally a track with a highway and a "mountain pass" :D

Edit: Btw, I remember there being a terrible bump on the left straight of Highway, will that be fixed?

@harey: it's just a teaser really.. after I posted it I started wondering how it would be if I moved the highway to the right so the city part was far left, the mountain in the middle, and with enough room on the far right for /another/ city.. but that would take forever unless I find a way to make useful reusable city areas that are easily changed and rearranged. The thing is, the track really is huge. And the layout is not fixed, and I still have several of Gizmo's tracks that have not been included yet.

I know it's hard to get an idea from a wireframe, but if you look at the screenshots of Mashup City at the same place, under the root directory, well, that is what I am aiming for.. Mashup was the like a preliminary work for a large scale city.. and I now know that it not only is possible in Racer, but that it is also great fun both to make and to drive. And that is why I "fell in love" with Gizmo's models and tracks, because they are the perfect match for my idea..

What I will put above Mountain Pass? Maybe variants of STV.. and I still haven't included the latest version of Initial D - which is a shame he never released as it is way better than the former. But then again, it will be released with this track, and I hope to include some "original" designs, and not just tear them all apart. It is Gizmo's project as well, at least I hope he will have his saying in this, so he might take a different path than I intend to. And that is good.. :)

But anyway.. take a look at the screenshots of Mashup City and you will get an idea of what I am attempting to do.. (and so sorry for the veeery loong post..)

Thanks again, a million times GizmoY :)

The tracks are really nice, and I am looking forward to getting things into place so I can actually do some meaningful testruns. The squared surface is now 100% aligned(!) and that makes me very happy as it took several hours just to adjust every vertex.. man what a job.. but it looks really nice in-game. Now I have to populate the area. I'll divide it as I did before, into smaller working sections with prefixes.. i.e. city_XX.dof mountain_XX.dof heights_XX.dof and so on.. that way I can work on one area at a time. I have already made ready the files for the STV Drift Park.. with the obvious prefix driftpark_XX.dof

I'll let you be the first to try the first alpha release too.. and your comments are of course most welcome! :)

Really glad to see your project taking shape luthobu! ;)

ps: About your Pontiac, I will try to end it soon... that thing is so damn complicated to separate the steering wheel from the rest of the mesh... and my pacience has been quite low too... :p

Take care!

• Tiberius

The layout looks nice, but you've got a lot of work in front of you. Now would be a good time to start learning Blender or Max - if you port the track over to Blender, it might be a pain for you to get used to using another program and you might really hate it at first, but it'll make your life a lot easier when you start adding more details and it grows in complexity :smile:

There's nothing wrong with Zmod, don't get me wrong - but it's a really basic program and when you get to something so hugely complex like what you're trying to create, it's gonna be a nightmare drawing polygons by hand and moving objects one by one.

I like the idea though, hope you see it through :smile:

Muhaha! I removed Win7-Pro and installed Enterprise Ed. instead.. and I actually forgot to make a backup of my Racer folder.. I do have a backup - but it is one week old.. I can't believe I have to redo a whole weeks work on the track *sobs*

Edit: Turns out I had a complete copy anyway.. "hidden away" within a .z3d file :) So all I had to do was update the ini's and textures. Good news is, I decided to rethink the entire idea, and instead of doing a "mashup" kind of track, I will actually make a "tribute" track to Gizmo, for the more I work with his tracks, the more I see how good they are, they just lacked a decent Racer and some good textures. Today I have been working all day on the track, and it is really so much fun.. a world within a world within a world.. and with still more worlds to come. Don't you just love 3D ;)

Come on.. give us some screenies!!

A bit early for that I think.. but I'll see if I can make some decent ones and upload them to the usual place.. but be warned, what you see is not what you get, I like to change and rearrange untill I find what I consider to be the optimal solutions..

Not a very good screenshot.. but at least you should get the idea.. one "square" at a time.. sloowly.. :)

http://alge.anart.no/projects/racer/screenshots//gizmos_trail/gizmos_trail_preview.jpg

EDIT: forgot to explain: far left is STV Drift, green area with roads is an early version of Initial D, the hilltop I am on is part of Mountain Pass, the "squares" are surface areas from STV (x42 so far), and out of view is Driftage (now desert driftage ;)) and outside yet again is Highway, and combining Highway with the rest is Takamari. Still some tracks are not yet included, and it's gonna be huge.. no.. it IS.. and I just love drivign on those wide highways and narrow alleys in the town(s) (not shown). Yupp.. thats about it..

• Tiberius

Looking good, I like the open highway look of it.

For some reason it reminds me of a certain budget game where you could drive around America in a truck which had the driving physics of a wet loofah :-X

I remember Boomer's mod of the highway track was nice, at the time I could barely run it though.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 178 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 495 39.2%