F1 2010 Formula One 2010 (Codemasters)

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
As seen on autosport.com - F1 News: New computer game deal for F1:

Formula One is to have its first official computer game in more than two years next season following the capture of a new official licencing deal with British gaming company Codemasters, autosport.com can reveal.
With Sony having published the most recent official F1 game last summer, based on the 2006 season and available only on PlayStation consoles, Codemasters' deal will see F1 return to a multiformat platform for the first time in many years.
The game is set to be available on all major home consoles, as well as handheld and PC gaming formats.
After weeks of discussion between Codemasters and Formula One Administration, it is anticipated that the company will produce the first game next year, based on the 2009 F1 season. This will be the first game that Lewis Hamilton will appear in.
Rod Cousens, chief executive officers of Codemasters, said: "Formula One is ambitious in expanding its reach with more circuits planned beyond recent additions in the Middle East and China. It is also ambitious in expanding its reach via technology.
"The digital communities that computer and video gaming creates will play a key role in further growing the F1 audience and connecting them globally.
"As a world-leading creator of driving games, this alliance with F1 is the jewel in Codemasters' racing crown and creates an undisputed segment champion."
Chris Deering, chairman of Codemasters, added: "Codemasters' success and recent innovations in the racing game space makes the company more than appropriately tuned for the challenge.
"The combination of F1's new momentum of expansion and Codemasters' contemporary technology and past experience is the breaking of a new dawn for the sport, on the track and on the HD game screen."
Codemasters Studios has already begun preparations for the major task of creating the new game, by strengthening their team with personnel from the now defunct Sega Racing Studio.
There are 350 people working on the project, which will be based on the EGO Engine that Codemasters has put to good use on the Colin McRae: DIRT and soon-to-be-released Race Driver: GRID titles.

F1 The Game blog coming

From the codemasters F1 The Game forum:

Uncle Chewy said:
I thought it might be good to start a blog showing what we are doing dev wise. We've been getting great access to everything F1 and have now made many, many visits to meet with the F1 teams, drivers, engineers, test drivers and see races, test sessions etc etc., which would be good to relay to you all.

We've now got FOM approval for this blog, which is cool, though the caveat is that we aren't allowed to disclose the names of the F1 people we speak to other than the drivers, e.g. we will need to say "yesterday we spoke with Ferrari's race engineer etc etc". They don't want to get bombarded with emails/calls, which is reasonable enough.

There will be no set times for the blogs. We'll just dribble interesting news out as it happens. I'll probably put them in a closed sticky, all in one thread. I'll see if we can get one out within the next few days.

Seems we'll be getting some information soon :wave:

Originally Posted by Uncle Chewy
Right, I haven't read every post in this thread, but I get the jist and just to stop you all from panicking too much... GRID and DiRT are aimed at an arcade audience and they do that very well. F1 has different requirements and will get a completely different treatment from our in-house team, including full on sim options, physics, rules and regs etc. We will also have arcade requirements catered for as well. How this will be split we do not know yet, but split it will be.

Well at least they are thinking about it. For me, if it looked like GRID and handled like Race07/rFactor, I'm sold!

• Neil Wood

if it LOOKS anything like DiRT or GRiD then it should be good. But if it lacks depth, then I sure won't be playing it too long.

I think the word sim is bashed about a lot, and I think sometimes it may be interpreted as just emulating real life racing... but not necessarily close to life car physics. I am intrigued to what they can come up with. Can't be as bad as EA.... can it?

I am optimistic

Most of you seem to be very pessimistic about forthcoming f1 game..but you have to agree one thing!..challanging ai is the best at race driver grid...for offline racing codemasters gives some real challange with crazy and realistic ai. but for online of course simbin and ISI have the lead..

So for people can't play online like me , f1 game might be very funny with a great ai like on grid, even with an arcade style racing..

There is nothing wrong with arcade style racing imho. I really have enjoyed my time in RD2. That i am now fully hooked on sims doesnt mean that all those millions of arcade players are retarded and us simmers have all the wisedom with us. Arcade sells and sims don't so there you have the reason why most developers choose arcade games to make :)
Besides that i think there is another big difference. Arcade games are fired up when you feel you want to play. While simracers reserve time on a day to race
I also prefer this F1 game to be realistic as can be ofcourse, but i wont start crying when it's all arcadish again.

codemaster says its gonna be sim.....can i laugh ? they also said they will use the engines from dirt and grid, i've played grid and well it sucks sim wise. in my opinion the moment your talking to make a game for the console and the pc you can take the sim out of the picture. Xbox had announced GP4 and it never came to life simply cause a sim wouldn't be popular on the console, people don't want a racing sim on the console they want arcade games and tuning games. thats my opinion :yo:

I wouldn't say that console users only want arcade games (although a large portion do, being of a younger demographic), look at the popularity of Forza. I know it's not a sim like the games this site plays BUT it's pretty sim-like compared to NFS.

And yes, the F1 game Codies are doing will suck. Dirt was fun, but GRID was plain awful. If they are using the same physics engine as those games, it defo won't be a sim. Will look pretty though!

• Matt Crouch

Arcade games are perfectly good and I did enjoy GRID, but the codemasters version of arcade handling is just too weird for me to want to keep playing after I've finished.

If codemasters can do what they say and come up with a realistic sim game with an arcade mode I would be happy. Although I would be slightly concerned about the population of the online mode. :)

• Panos Vlassopoulos

After all these years of playing simbin games when i'm playing dirt/toca ..... i'm not pleased with the arcade games of codemaster.
It would be bad if they make a game with excellent graphics nice game engine but with arcade driveng experience.
I hope sometime simbim get the F1 licence and build a game that with last for ages..

Yeah, I'm not that excited about this game either. I will wait and see but, personally I don't even find full-arcade games very fun.

DiRT I only played once or twice, but the fact I could stop the car from 150km/h in about 10m made me laugh. Grid was fun for about 4 hours or so but then I got bored.

One of the main things though, is that I found Grid didnt have very good steering wheel support. If you don't have good wheel support then the physics could be 100% accurate, but it will still feel like rubbish.

I really liked the career and ranking mode in codemasters games. When you are not involved in leagues or club races the rankings challenge you to improve your skills

I think it will require a load of money to obtain a F1 license and that money has to be earned back from people that buy a F1 game. A sim will never pays itself back because the memberbase is just too small for it. The majority of the people prefers arcadish console games and thats the group of people where the money is coming from.
I would love to see such a sim-game too, don't get me wrong, but i dont think it will happen for F1.

Not so sure! Until STCC released, GTR Evo full was ahead of Grid on selling list (Steam). I remember it was there for a long time! Now Grid is ahead of GTR Evo full, but there is also STCC, and GTR Evo as expansion on the list! Now Moto GP08 is on the lead, I don't know if it's an arcade or a sim, I'm not familiar with it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 483 39.0%